Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-13-2011, 06:51 AM   #21
Chrijodo's Avatar
Chrijodo
Registered Users
Formerly: RiverDrakesMomma
seller
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Orange Park, FL
Posts: 6,960
My Mood:
Re: Why are Softbums so special?

I loved the way they fit on my itty bitties but they were a pain to have to adjust to fit every time and I couldn't stuff them when they were in the tightened status so it was a pain. I wish I could find another diaper that fit so well but didn't have the other issues.

Advertisement

__________________
Cheli
Mommy to the 4 that make me whole
River (2/06) Journey (2/08) Twin girls Kaeda & Ember (8/10)
Chrijodo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 07:16 AM   #22
MarchMama2x's Avatar
MarchMama2x
Registered Users
seller
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Maryland
Posts: 1,938
My Mood:
Ive been using Omni's as pockets exclusively for 7 months now. My laundry tabs all still work perfectly and I have only had leaks when there'd wasn't enough absorbency inside the pocket or I had detergent buildup. One shell did leak but soft bums fixed it for me. They are the only diaper I can get a perfect fit on my baby. I wanted to love snaps and rise snaps, but I always got leg gaps with those types of diapers. I liked the bamboo pods for a while, but I hate how hard bamboo gets when wet so i have started using pad-folded flats inside the pocket and I love them!

Sent from my iPad, please excuse the autocorrect typos
__________________
Karol - SAHM to JP (3.1.07), Carson (3.9.10) and Sam (5.14.12)
MarchMama2x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 07:32 AM   #23
March's Avatar
March
Registered Users
seller
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: South Louisiana
Posts: 2,534
Re: Why are Softbums so special?

If you get leaks with SoftBums, it's compression leaking. Let the rise out some and then tighten the waist to seal the legs. Problem solved, I promise.

Why is it a choking hazard? Is your baby playing with it? Why aren't snaps (that might pop off of a diaper or clothes) a choking hazard?

I find them so dirt cheap! They're cheaper than the same # of diaper changes with pockets of the same quality tier. 24 SoftBums changes is about $100 less than 24 FBOS.

Last edited by March; 06-13-2011 at 07:41 AM.
March is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 11:07 AM   #24
Babycatcher2B's Avatar
Babycatcher2B
Registered Users
seller
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 1,238
My Mood:
Re: Why are Softbums so special?

Quote:
Originally Posted by March View Post
If you get leaks with SoftBums, it's compression leaking. Let the rise out some and then tighten the waist to seal the legs. Problem solved, I promise.

Why is it a choking hazard? Is your baby playing with it? Why aren't snaps (that might pop off of a diaper or clothes) a choking hazard?

I find them so dirt cheap! They're cheaper than the same # of diaper changes with pockets of the same quality tier. 24 SoftBums changes is about $100 less than 24 FBOS.
THIS! what's the hostility on this thread about? Deathtrap? Choking hazard? its INSIDE the diaper for crying out loud, and tied together, and and and... there are other brands with toggles ON THE OUTSIDE! Sheesh!
__________________
Babycatcher2B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 11:36 AM   #25
jessi4jc's Avatar
jessi4jc
Registered Users
seller
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 5,986
Quote:
Originally Posted by Babycatcher2B

THIS! what's the hostility on this thread about? Deathtrap? Choking hazard? its INSIDE the diaper for crying out loud, and tied together, and and and... there are other brands with toggles ON THE OUTSIDE! Sheesh!
And I don't use those either. A snap is quite small and is not an oval/rectangular item that could get lodged sideways in a windpipe. We all know that babies take off their diapers. That happened to me once. My nanny baby, Olivia (2kids ago) took off her diaper in her crib during a nap. It was very dangerous. They shouldn't be allowed to put toggles like that on any kid's clothing, including jackets etc. but at least I wouldn't put her down for a nap in a drawstring jacket. and while we are on that subject the drawstrings in gowns and other kids items have been outlawed now but somehow companies like SoftBums and GL are getting around this. I don't quite get that.

But aside from that as mentioned they leave marks and leak so I still think they are a sucky product and it seems as if a lot of other people have the same ideas that I do which validates my "hostility" and irritation that I wasted time and money on this product because so many people raved about it. I wanted to tell this OP the truth of how they worked for us.

If I still had one I would show you how I tested it to see if it could be a choking hazard by using the little plastic windpipe they give you to test for these things. It was an epic fail.

Sent from iPhone which is out to get me for some reason that is unbeknownst to me. Via DS Forum.
__________________
Mama to 2 big girls, aunt to 3 great kids, nanny to an awesome baby boy and his 2 crazy sisters!

IDSO: Noro Sekku in Citrus, Lilac, Sand. Please.
jessi4jc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 11:42 AM   #26
mandmsmommy's Avatar
mandmsmommy
Registered Users
seller
seller
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 1,057
My Mood:
Re: Why are Softbums so special?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Babycatcher2B View Post
THIS! what's the hostility on this thread about? Deathtrap? Choking hazard? its INSIDE the diaper for crying out loud, and tied together, and and and... there are other brands with toggles ON THE OUTSIDE! Sheesh!
__________________
I'm Andrea- Special Needs CDing, Extended Harnessing, Homeschooling, NON-circumcising, SAHM to my beautiful little red headed princess Mylee Memphis (02/19/08) and my extra special Autistic little man Maverick Machai (11/30/09) and wife to Dustin since 05/12/07. We love our M&M babies!!!
mandmsmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 11:45 AM   #27
littleleaf's Avatar
littleleaf
Registered Users
Formerly: jcha***h
seller
seller
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: SoCal
Posts: 6,854
My Mood:
Re: Why are Softbums so special?

I have no super strong opinions on the softbums. I do find the toggle thing a little annoying to adjust, but I do like the fact that it is super adjustable. I haven't had any issues with the aplix. I think the novelty of this cover is the toggle adjust thing for better size adjusting, and the fleece inner which is softer on the thighs than encased elastic covers. I do like the trimness in the crotch, but the whole cover is a little more bulky than PUL-only covers, because of the fleece lining. Still, overall, it's quite trim.

Having said that, I don't like that the fleece gets wet every time (defeating the purpose of an AI2, though really, I prefer not to reuse PUL covers anyway.... not with toddler pee), so basically it's a rather expensive adjustable cover with a snap added to the back. As for leaking, we occasionally have leaks out the top if the diaper is sticking out the top, so more of a user issue, but I just wish that you could prestuff them more snugly so that the diaper will be fully covered even when DH puts it on. He does better with the Flips, or fitteds/wool.
__________________
Mama to 2 munchkins, loving wife to P , who supports me in all I do.
FSOT
Thirsties, Niji cotton, wool wrap, Imse Vimse
SPOTS - new Thirsties and more ISO Jujube, Carters, Gymboree, Zutano girl clothes 18 months

Last edited by littleleaf; 06-13-2011 at 11:49 AM.
littleleaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 11:45 AM   #28
MegBee's Avatar
MegBee
Registered Users
seller
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Salt Lake City, UT
Posts: 1,071
Re: Why are Softbums so special?

I love how soft and squishy they are. The bamboo pods are way absorbent but I also don't like how they seem hard when wet. Just shows how absorbent they are though. I find it weird that I actually loved softbums when my baby was a newborn using echos and bamboo mini pods. But now that he's almost 4 months (already ) I find them bulky and have leak issues sometimes. Oh and my son always gets red marks. We use flips now because they don't give him red marks. I don't reuse the covers either. I'm planning on selling my stash of echos but I'm worried I'll regret it. Like maybe they'll work better when he's older. I'm loving nanas bottoms best though. So I think I'll replace my stash with those. I'm holding on to my blue iced giraffes shell because it was his first cloth diaper and it's too cute. I'm also keeping one of his ocean shells that was made a couple years ago because it's made from like, a thinner fleece and it's much trimmer than all my other shells.
__________________
Megan -Wife to Larry 4/22/08, Mommy to Allen 2/22/11 and Hayden 10/7/13

Last edited by MegBee; 06-13-2011 at 11:53 AM.
MegBee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 11:48 AM   #29
mandmsmommy's Avatar
mandmsmommy
Registered Users
seller
seller
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 1,057
My Mood:
Re: Why are Softbums so special?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessi4jc View Post
And I don't use those either. A snap is quite small and is not an oval/rectangular item that could get lodged sideways in a windpipe. We all know that babies take off their diapers. That happened to me once. My nanny baby, Olivia (2kids ago) took off her diaper in her crib during a nap. It was very dangerous. They shouldn't be allowed to put toggles like that on any kid's clothing, including jackets etc. but at least I wouldn't put her down for a nap in a drawstring jacket. and while we are on that subject the drawstrings in gowns and other kids items have been outlawed now but somehow companies like SoftBums and GL are getting around this. I don't quite get that.

But aside from that as mentioned they leave marks and leak so I still think they are a sucky product and it seems as if a lot of other people have the same ideas that I do which validates my "hostility" and irritation that I wasted time and money on this product because so many people raved about it. I wanted to tell this OP the truth of how they worked for us.

If I still had one I would show you how I tested it to see if it could be a choking hazard by using the little plastic windpipe they give you to test for these things. It was an epic fail.

Sent from iPhone which is out to get me for some reason that is unbeknownst to me. Via DS Forum.
Ok...I get that you think that the toggles are a choking hazard. Personally, I think a child would have to be a professional magician to be able to get them out of the diaper even if they took the diaper off, but what I don't get is why you bought them in the first place if that's how you felt about the toggles??? I mean it's not like Softbums keeps it a secret that they hide toggles in their diapers...
__________________
I'm Andrea- Special Needs CDing, Extended Harnessing, Homeschooling, NON-circumcising, SAHM to my beautiful little red headed princess Mylee Memphis (02/19/08) and my extra special Autistic little man Maverick Machai (11/30/09) and wife to Dustin since 05/12/07. We love our M&M babies!!!
mandmsmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 11:56 AM   #30
shortdrawbryant's Avatar
shortdrawbryant
Registered Users
seller
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Newbern,TN
Posts: 2,005
My Mood:
Re: Why are Softbums so special?

I love softbums! I only have one tho I love love love how trim they are!
__________________
Nichole, Wife to DH Billy and Mommy to DD Patience (01/10) and Robert (11/11).
shortdrawbryant is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Copyright 2005 - 2014 Escalate Media. All Rights Reserved.