Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 06-07-2006, 07:07 AM   #1
Quiverfillin
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Pregnant before PPAF?? *Update*

How often does this really happen?? I know everyone says not to use breastfeeding as birth control because you can get pregnant without ever having a period, but honestly, how often does that really happen?

I ask because, well, um... I'm still breastfeeding, the baby is 11 months old today, I haven't had PPAF yet, but I'm having a few questionable symptoms and had a dream that I got a BFP. So now I'm wondering. Am I just goin' crazy?

And just for reference...we weren't using BF as BC and would be happy with another baby, just was expecting AF first. I mean, it took 2 years to get pregnant last time!

Scroll down for the results...

Advertisement

Last edited by Quiverfillin; 06-08-2006 at 05:05 AM. Reason: update
Quiverfillin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2006, 07:13 AM   #2
yellowcampcat
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Pregnant before PPAF??

I think it depends on your body. I didn't get my ppaf until my dd was 12mo and I was down to nursing once a day. I have several friends, though, who got pregnant while still nursing and never had a period.
yellowcampcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2006, 07:16 AM   #3
Kimmomy2dom
Mmmm Saucers eating chocolate
seller

Location: I'm halfway across the country, but weirdos have a way of teleporting!
My Mood:

Yeah, I've heard a lot about it. I don't know that it's been any close personal friends, but second-hand stories and such. My Dr. liked to remind me when he did my 6 week pp check, LOL.
Have you tested? I would just test if you're at all concerned. Get one of those cheapo ones and try it. I've wasted many a pg test on negatives, so even if you aren't sure I'd do it anyway. Good luck!
Kimmomy2dom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2006, 07:20 AM   #4
GrowingUpMad
If everyone was the same the world would be a VERY boring place.
seller

My Mood:

My mom got pregnant that way, as did my aunt and cousin.
Old 06-07-2006, 07:25 AM   #5
Quiverfillin
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Darn. I was hoping it was one of those "urban legends". Guess I'll have to break down and buy a test.
Old 06-07-2006, 07:35 AM   #6
hfitz5051
Let the rabbits wear glasses!
seller

My Mood:

Test. Test. Test! lol
Old 06-07-2006, 07:36 AM   #7
Radish4ever
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I totally forget where I read this, but I was searching for this info when DD was about 7 months old to see what my chances were of conceiving (to see if using condoms would really be worth it) and I came across a site that said you've only got about a 5% chance of actually ovulating before having a PPAF
Radish4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2006, 07:42 AM   #8
negrapy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radish4ever
I totally forget where I read this, but I was searching for this info when DD was about 7 months old to see what my chances were of conceiving (to see if using condoms would really be worth it) and I came across a site that said you've only got about a 5% chance of actually ovulating before having a PPAF
The WHO and Leche League publish using nursing as birth control. Its about as effect as a condom w/out spermicide if you can answer yes to 4 questions

1. your baby is under 6 months old
2.you nurse atleast every three hours during the day and at least one in a 6 hr period at night
3. your baby is not eating other types of food
4. ???? I can't remember

maybe someone else knows, I think it might have been something about not using a pacifers... no
I remember !

4. you haven't had a period yet.

I'm pretty sure this is right (don't use for bc unless you check it out yourself)
we used it until your started sleeping through the night
i don't think i'm pregnant
Old 06-07-2006, 07:42 AM   #9
hfitz5051
Let the rabbits wear glasses!
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radish4ever

That may be true, but part of your pp bleeding can acutally be your first ppaf. Like say your pp bleeding lasts 6 weeks, that last week may have been AF.
Old 06-07-2006, 07:43 AM   #10
Blackbirdlane
Registered Users
seller

my sister got preggo with her second like that. she was ebf her 6 month old and not using anything else for bc and got preggo when her dd was 6 months old. She didn't have a ppaf either so she had to have an ultrasound done for due dates. turned out she was 10 weeks preg. farther along than she had thought.
Blackbirdlane is offline   Reply With Quote