Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 06-18-2011, 10:04 PM   #1
Mom2Gray
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Anyone ever DECLINE progesterone shots?

I am pregnant with baby #4 right now, and am due to start progesterone shots in 2 weeks to help prevent this baby from coming early. After doing a ton of reading on the shots, I am just not sure that I am going to do it.

Here is my history:
DS1 and DS2 were both full term babies with very uneventful pregnancies.
Pregnancy #3 was problem-ridden from day one, and I was on bedrest from 9 to 33 weeks with a subchorionic hemorrhage...which they said all along could very likely make him come early. Water broke @ 33 weeks and he was born 3 days later.

The reasons I am not all on board with the shots are that my body easily carried 2 babies to term, and the early one was early for a specific, known reason. I do not have the same complication this time around, and this pregnancy is so far just like my first two. Secondly, I'm finding mixed opinions on whether or not the shots help w/ pPROM, which is what I had. I never did go into labor or have any contractions -- my water just broke (and has broken prior to labor with all 3 of my kids). I have no history of early contractions or uterine irritability.

Am I making a foolish decision in declining the shots? Has anyone else declined them; if so, what was the outcome?

Advertisement

Mom2Gray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2011, 10:31 PM   #2
songbird516
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Anyone ever DECLINE progesterone shots?

I do not think you are being foolish. I have also read that the shots are not proven to be helpful in preventing preteen labor. Listen to you instincts as a mother, but also think of how you would feel if your water broke early again. Would you feel guilty that you hadn't gotten the shots?
When your water broke early last time, did labor start on it's own? Sometimes the water can break but labor doesn't start and you can choose to monitor for signs of an infection until contractions really start progressive labor. Also I have heard that high doses of vitamin C can help with strengthening the amniotic sac.
Old 06-18-2011, 10:56 PM   #3
shortcake2386
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

i got the shots with ds and will get them next time also. dd1 was 35 weeks, dd2 was 38 weeks, dd3 was stillborn at 20 weeks and ds was born at 36 weeks 2 days. i only received the shots with ds and the last one was at 35 weeks 2 days and he was born a week later. i fully believe that the shots kept him in and it was my first pregnancy where i wasnt on bedrest for months at a time. BUT i have a blood disorder that causes clotting and PTL so i highly doubt my body would carry to term on its own, if i thought it would/could i would decline the shots.
JoAnna,wife to my first love Michael and SAHM to Mackenzie Grace(7 years), Makaela Lynn(5years),^^Meaghan Elise^^ born sleeping July 18, 2009. and Malakai Vincent(3 years) and Mackenna Kate(1year)and one DOG
NEW trainer testers MotherGoose Designs ETSY store "Green co-ops" shoeszoos, diapers,squeeze pops
shortcake2386 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 04:12 AM   #4
mommy2kaitlyn
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I would decline them in your situation. I do have a history of PTL, and my water broke at 37 weeks 3 days and I had had only 2 contrax that night but was in hospital for contrax and spotting/mucus plug loss earlier that day. So I would take the shots in my case. I had PTL from 26 weeks until 37 weeks when I was ok'd to go off pelvic rest, etc.
Old 06-19-2011, 09:47 AM   #5
niadara
Registered Users
seller

I declined the shots. My history: with DS, I started to have contractions around 25 weeks, was on Terbutaline from week 31-36 and my water broke at 36+5, DS born at 36+6. He was fine. My mom had cerclages with all of us.
Pregnancy number 2, the obgyn wanted me badly on shots starting at 16 weeks. I did some research on it and felt I didn't need them and that the side effects are way too scary. I also talked with a family member about those shots who happens to be a PhD MD in pharmaceutical research and she strongly discouraged me from those shots. I would consider them if I had delivered seriously early before (aka before 28 weeks).
Anyways, I did take good care of myself and supplemented with a high dose of vitamin D3 instead (google vitamin D and preterm labor, there is strong evidence that a good dose of D3 really helps) - I took 6400 IU daily. I also took vitamin K2 (jarrow formulas) as there is evidence it strengthens the amniotic sac. DD arrived exactly on 39 weeks; we broke the water right before she was born, she would have been born in the caul but it made pushing easier to break the waters. The midwife had to try twice to break it and said it's the strongest amniotic sac she has ever seen.

Last edited by niadara; 06-19-2011 at 09:50 AM.
niadara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 12:13 PM   #6
jensea98
Registered Users
seller

I declined the shot! I had dd at 36 w3 days. She was fine and the doc left it up to me if I wanted to get the shot. This time am at 34 weeks and everything seems fine. Good luck with your decision!
Old 06-19-2011, 12:39 PM   #7
Kiliki
Registered Users
Formerly: kr***y
seller

I don't think you are being foolish. I think it makes sense to me that if your body successfully carried 2 previous pregnancies it could do so again. And the one pregnancy that had issues was for a known reason, not just b/c your body was incapable of carrying to term. KWIM?

I think it makes perfect sense to research your options and see how comfortable you are declining the shots. As a PP said, you do need to consider how you would feel if something DID happen and you had chosen to decline the shots.
Kiliki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 02:29 PM   #8
Mom2Gray
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Thank you so much for all the replies!! I appreciate hearing others' insights and opinions as I make this decision.

Quote:
Originally Posted by songbird516 View Post
Listen to you instincts as a mother, but also think of how you would feel if your water broke early again. Would you feel guilty that you hadn't gotten the shots?
When your water broke early last time, did labor start on it's own? Sometimes the water can break but labor doesn't start and you can choose to monitor for signs of an infection until contractions really start progressive labor. Also I have heard that high doses of vitamin C can help with strengthening the amniotic sac.
I never did go into labor at all. They kept me on bedrest for 3 days after my water broke, but as my water broke, baby turned breech, and they didn't expect him to have enough fluid to turn back around, so they ended up doing a c-section. *sigh*
Honestly, if I had another baby as early, or slightly earlier, I think I would be fine with that. DS was very healthy and had no problems (aside from the obvious...learning to hold his temp, etc) and never needed oxygen or anything. I would be comfortable as that for a tradeoff to the unknowns of how the progesterone shots could affect my baby long term. I'm very uncomfortable with the limited research on that, and seeing as how my baby WASN'T a micro-preemie, I don't feel that for me, the risk of preterm delivery outweighs the risk of the shots.
I will definitely look into the vit. C -- hadn't heard that before!

Quote:
Originally Posted by niadara View Post
Anyways, I did take good care of myself and supplemented with a high dose of vitamin D3 instead (google vitamin D and preterm labor, there is strong evidence that a good dose of D3 really helps) - I took 6400 IU daily. I also took vitamin K2 (jarrow formulas) as there is evidence it strengthens the amniotic sac. DD arrived exactly on 39 weeks; we broke the water right before she was born, she would have been born in the caul but it made pushing easier to break the waters. The midwife had to try twice to break it and said it's the strongest amniotic sac she has ever seen.
I will definitely also look into the vit. D3 and K2 -- I interested in anything a little more natural to help me have a healthy, term pregnancy!!

I will certainly continue to do my research on both the shots and the alternatives, but I appreciate you ladies sharing your thoughts on this!
Mom2Gray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 06:51 PM   #9
Angel89411
Banned

I didn't have PTL, but in your case I wouldn't take the shot. I don't believe in medicine for "just in case". There has to be some reason behind it.
Angel89411 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 08:27 PM   #10
Truckerswife
Registered Users
seller

im currently getting progesterone shots i started this pregnancy with a sch at 9 weeks also my DD was born at 35 weeks after spending two weeks on bed rest my water broke in your situation i would not get or delay getting the shots if your doing well than i don't see a need for them