Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 06-21-2011, 12:37 PM   #11
TwinKristi
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Would you get an extra free ultrasound?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mom22sofar View Post
I am just wondering-it is a clinic that aims to deter pregnant women considering abortion from doing so by showing them an ultrasound live in person? Not to be political or anything, but honestly, I wouldn't want to be in a roomful of stressed out unsure pregnant women making one of the most difficult choices of their lives while I am joyfully pregnant. It isn't a pro-life/pro-choice thing, just that I don't want to be a part of their anguish while I am happily pregnant. It just seems like a really emotionally charged situation and I would take it way too personally for those in the room-or are you not able to see them or anything? Maybe I am totally misunderstanding and they take a video and show them?
Not the OP but I had similar concerns. I don't believe it's a group deal, I believe they make appts and while I'm sure there is a waiting room, I don't believe it's like an abortion clinic in that aspect of being around a bunch of other newly pregnant, nervous women. My friend said there were like 8 women who went in at once. I watched a PBS special called "the last abortion clinic "and they talked to a lot of the crisis pregnancy centers who offer ultrasound and pregnancy resources to try and deter abortion and followed their side as well. Anyway, it didn't seem like very many people were there at once but I don't personally know.

Advertisement

Old 06-21-2011, 03:00 PM   #12
revmommy
Registered Users
seller

See, it is so good to have this forum! I suspect it is a place that sways people away from abortions, and while I am not opposed to that, it could make for interseting dynamics. THanks so much for sharing your thoughts.
revmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 03:03 PM   #13
revmommy
Registered Users
seller

Dear mom22sofar,
thank you so much. You brought up things I had never considered, like sharing a waiting room with those who are distraught to be pregnant while I am, as you say, blissfully pregnant. I think I'll skip the extra ultrasound. Several others have spoken of the extra interventions, and I agreee with that as well. I had a late u/s with my 4th because I measured big, but the u/s showed a nuchal chord which had everyone in an absolute tizzy for the last month of my pg with nst's 2-3 times per week - an hour from my house. It was awful and in the end everything was fine. But everyone was freaking out - myself included. thanks moms, for everything!
revmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 08:39 PM   #14
mom22sofar
Registered Users
seller
seller

I had honestly never heard of this before, but glad you have reached a decision that is good for you. The choices and options are sometimes so overwhelming it is hard to know what to do! best wishes to you and your pregnancy!
Old 06-21-2011, 09:57 PM   #15
swismiself
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I had 20 ultrasounds with my son, plus an extra "free" one at the Radiology school. I loved every moment because I got to see my son growing and knew he was ok, no matter how bad things were during my pregnancy. The best one was actually the one at the radiology school. There were two students and each one had to get several measurements, etc. It was great because while they were doing their thing I just got to watch on the monitor and enjoy...I think I spent 1.5hrs just watching him squirm!

I would have looked at him every day on the ultrasound if I could. If you don't feel comfortable at this clinic, I would definitely check and see if you have a tech school that teaches radiology near you. The ultrasounds are free and very fun!
swismiself is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 03:15 PM   #16
Pat899
Registered Users

My Mood:

No.
I would want as little intervention as possible. And... I watched a special on Nat Geo on ultrasound technology. It talked about how ultrasounds can create a feedback loop. sort of the same as a mic at a concert. They showed little babes in utero in obvious pain and trying to escape the ultrasound. They said it becomes as loud as a jack hammer.
Pat899 is offline   Reply With Quote