Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 06-22-2011, 10:55 AM   #1
passthepickles
Registered Users
Formerly: shannbannan
seller

My Mood:
Tell me about your induction!

I am being induced tonight and I have no idea what to expect. I am not dialated or effaced at all (or wasn't as of yesterday) and I am 3 days "overdue." My amniotic fluid is very low, and I am having some unexplained bleeding so it's best to have my babe out and safe asap.

But i'm scared!! Both of my other labors were about 12 hours long from the time I realized I was in labor until delivery (contractions woke me up in the middle of the night both times, so i'm really not sure how long I was in labor before that.) Can I expect the same from a pitocin induced labor? Was yours longer? Shorter? The same? What happens?

I have never been induced before and I am nervous!!

Advertisement

Old 06-22-2011, 11:02 AM   #2
ktmelody
No Longer Here

My Mood:
Mine were all easy. All less then 12 hours. They would have me go in early and start pitocin. The time I was not dialated they used cervadil and I was in full blown labor 30 minutes later (no pit needed). I have had 4 inductions.

Pit stinks but hopefully they can turn it down once you get into a good pattern.

I wish you luck mama and hope it goes smoothe and fast for you.
ktmelody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 11:05 AM   #3
Queen_Celeste
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Tell me about your induction!

I am no help because I was induced with both, though i only had pitocin with one. I was already dilated to a 2 and effaced to 70 or 80 and it was about 12 hours from when they started the pitocin drip to being done.
Queen_Celeste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 11:05 AM   #4
passthepickles
Registered Users
Formerly: shannbannan
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktmelody View Post
Mine were all easy. All less then 12 hours. They would have me go in early and start pitocin. The time I was not dialated they used cervadil and I was in full blown labor 30 minutes later (no pit needed). I have had 4 inductions.

Pit stinks but hopefully they can turn it down once you get into a good pattern.

I wish you luck mama and hope it goes smoothe and fast for you.
That is why my Dr. said they would use pitocin. Because it can be turned down after things get going. I was GBS+ with my daughter and had pitocin after my water broke. It was awful. Not looking forward to that part...
Old 06-22-2011, 11:08 AM   #5
andyoly82
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Well mama I can tell you my story and I hope it helps!!

On December 17 2009 I went in for my routine DRs visit. I had pre ecclampsia and had to go in 2x a week for fetal monitoring and after that I had to visit with my dr (just 1 day a week) I was feeling off I guess you could say. He decided to keep me for observation and I'll be honest I was scared. I was only 35 weeks 5 days along and my hubby was still over seas in Korea (army) since I had just finished my enlistment I was away from my fam so I was alone. After being monitored I started to decline rapidly so my Drs decided for both my health and DS's we were going to induce.
They started the pitocin drip and inserted a fully catheter between my cervix and DS head ( this was to help speed along since my body wasn't ready) after about 2.5 hours the fully fell out and I was dilated to 4-5 cm. This is when I started to feel the pain big time. Now my bp shot up with every contraction due to my PE so after talking to my DR we decided on an epidural. I slept very peacefully from about 11pm to 850 am at which point I woke up with a very urgent need to push. 15 min and 3 pushes later my DS was in my arms.
My experience was very nice and if I had any questions I asked. I am very vocal so I asked! Just stay calm!! You'll do great!!
Old 06-22-2011, 11:24 AM   #6
hilaryisinked
Registered Users
seller
seller

Well, mine was awful. I was induced a week early for no reason; just because I was "high risk." I went in on Monday evening and got started on those cervical ripening drugs that now have been found to be horrible for babies and linked to autism and all that. Yeah, great. I was dilated 2 cm when we started. After the maximum amount of doses I had made no progress. So they put a foley bulb in. Talk about horrific pain. Those things cause the most excruciating contractions. It's literally manually dilating your cervix. It hurt like hell. An hour into it all the nurses kept telling me no one had made it this far without an epidural so I gave in and got one even though I so did not want to. At 8:30 that night, they found that the foley bulb had done it's job and I was now 6 cm. They broke my water and at 3 am on Wednesday it was time to push. 26 minutes later there she was. I was not allowed to eat or drink anything during those 3 days. I was not allowed out of bed. It was the worst experience of my life.
Old 06-22-2011, 11:32 AM   #7
tygr2410
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

i had a wonderful induction with DS1 (2nd child). Contractions were manageable and predictable, and pit was turned off once i got in a good rhythm. (pitocin was the only drug given as i was already dilated well)

Good luck!
Old 06-22-2011, 02:12 PM   #8
songbird516
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Are they going to start with Cervadil? If you're not dilated or effaced at all, a pitocin induction is much more likely to end in c-section.
Old 06-22-2011, 02:34 PM   #9
Greenbabybottoms
Registered Users
seller
seller

I was induced with my oldest for pre e at 39 weeks 2 days. It really wasn't that bad.

I was about 1-2 cm before I went into the hospital and checked into the hospital the night before the induction was scheduled. My midwives did start with cytotec to ripen my cervix, this was 4 years ago and I didn't know the risk with cytotec and I am not sure in general if the risk were really known. Now I would not agree to the cytotec but would be ok with cervadil or the foley bulb. But by the next morning I was between 3-4 cm. They broke my water just before starting the pitocin (this is another thing I would ask them to wait on if I had it to do over), then they started the pitocin around 7 am. Contractions hit hard and fast but I labored pain med free the entire time.

I was fully dilated and ready to push just after 5 pm, pushed for 3 1/2 hours and then she was born. The recovery was actually a breeze, many times easier than my spontanteous labor recovery.

I will be induced again this time and I do know there are things I will ask for differently and I am with a better midwife practice but in general the induction was not a horrible experience.
Old 06-22-2011, 02:49 PM   #10
veveland
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
I have had two inductions. With my first, I was barely dilated at all and they used a foley bulb and low dose pit until I was 5cm about 8 hours). I had cramping, but nothing horrific. Then they broke my water. I was in more pain then and my labor stalled (took three epidurals to get it right, but once they did, things were super quick).

With my second, I was dilated 3 when I went in. They gave me cytotec which started regular (but not super painful ctx), but then they gave me pit. I went from 4cm to baby out in 45 minutes.