Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!
Old 06-23-2011, 11:35 AM   #11
Life is Good
My Mood:
Re: Are natural methods to induce labor...

My understanding is that the "natural" methids don't really do anything unless your body is ready anyway and maybe just needing a little push. None of them are at all in the same class as Pitocin or even cytotec. The drugs put you into labor whether you are ready or not and cause very strong un-natural strength contractions. I have done it both ways, first time with pit- I was 42wk and baby was not doing as well as one would liek so we did what we had to do. It worked for us and everyone was fine but I hated how I was instantly in hard labor as soon as they started the drip. Since then I have tried every natural method out there because I was overdue and it seemed like my body was ready and none of them worked until my body was "really ready" and even then it was gradual and my body and the baby's body tolerated the labor/contractions much better than the super duper pit ones. Just my

Jesus loving wife to Chris and crunchy mama to 7, 6, 5 , 3 and 9mo Swagbucks
badhayrday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 11:52 AM   #12
Registered Users
My Mood:

Once I hit 38.5 weeks (Aug 1st) I'll definitely be trying the most natural methods (walking, sex)- even if they don't work there's no harm done. I wouldn't do an AROM unless it was the last resort before a drug induction because I wouldn't want to be put on a timeline. I don't think I'd do caster oil- more because the thought of it grosses me out than anything else.
Crystal, mama to Svetlana Ash (6), Naima Noelle (4), and Yesenia Scarlett (born Aug 16, 2011!!)
sugar_crystalz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 01:30 PM   #13
Registered Users

I had pitocin for dd1 after my water broke (from which I blame wasabi peas) and had no contractions. It was very painful and put her in distress and I still ended up with a c/s.

For dd2, I ate wasabi peas, had some "adult fun" with dh, and 24 hr later dd2 was born vbac. For me, natural methods of induction was the best way to go. It was an easier labor and birth.
SAHM with 2 amazing little ones and a sexy sugar daddy who supports my habit
kej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 12:34 PM   #14
Spring Into a New Avi 2015 Winner

Oh God the foley bulb...I remember the excruciating pain like it was yesterday.
Hilary, head over heels wifey of a Coastie
Mama of Aubrey & Delaney
hilaryisinked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 02:32 PM   #15
Registered Users
My Mood:

Originally Posted by Greenbabybottoms View Post
I am facing a medical induction this time at 39 weeks. In general I would love to not have to be induced but it is the best/safest option for us but we are going to do just about everything we can between 37 and 39 weeks to get me to go into labor on my own. My midwives think I have a better chance of baby coming out and reducing the risk of dystocia if I go earlier than 39 weeks,
yep I have GD this go round. DS was 7.5lb at 37w, and the U/S guessed 8lb12oz last monday.
IF I don't go on my own by next Friday, I'm going to start living on pineapple, EPO and nipple tweaking. I had pit with DS (prom) and I would rather not do that again.
If I don't pop on my own they will probably induce the 7th. I really hope I just go naturally this time.
I make milkshakes in my yard.
Kriket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 09:43 PM   #16
Registered Users
My Mood:

I wouldn't do anything unless mama or baby were in danger and facing a needed medical induction or I had reached a full 42 weeks.

Under one of those circumstances, I'd try every 'natural' induction method in the book before anything else. I'd then move on to a membrane strip, and finally Pitocin.
Hi, I'm Amber. Wife to an amazing man
Mama to
Ava {12.20.08}, Levi {8.19.10},and Aspen {7.11.13}.
Expecting Oakley Lennon in March 2015!
cinderella08 is offline   Reply With Quote