Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 06-24-2011, 05:57 PM   #1
mitre10
Registered Users
seller
seller

Red Raspberry Leaf Tea

Those of you that drink it in pregnancy:

where do you get it from?
when do you start drinking it?
how much do you drink?

and what benefits are you trying to achieve?

I'm trying for a vbac (I'm 32 weeks) and I heard that this might help strengthen my uterus.

Thanks!

Advertisement

Old 06-24-2011, 06:08 PM   #2
USMCgirl_05
Banned

My Mood:
Re: Red Raspberry Leaf Tea

I despise tea of any kind so I just get the capsules at wal mart My midwife said I can start taking it any time and just follow the directions on the bottle!

the tea is more potent though if you're trying to induce labor nearer to your due date (but you have to drink a ton)
USMCgirl_05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 06:10 PM   #3
Kbunz14
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

There is a thread in the Aug DDC that might help too (I think you're due the week after me )

I got mine from amazon (the traditional medicinals tea bags) in bulk, and I know quite a few friends have ordered it loose leaf online as well. I did find the bags (same brand as mine) at GNC store for about $4.50 a box, but it's cheaper to order it online

You can start drinking it anytime. Some reccomend to wait until you're term because it can give you contractions, but it doesn't really start labor (atleast not from my experience or research...it does give me contractions though)

I thought I saw a 'rule of thumb' that it was 1-2 cups daily for the first tri, 2-3 cups in the second tri, and 3-4 in the 3rd. Personally I make 2 cups and cool it for ice tea and I'll bump it up to 3-4 cups in the next few weeks (around 36wks, I'm currently just over 33)
Old 06-24-2011, 06:20 PM   #4
alyssamaile
Registered Users
seller

i bought a big bag of loose leaf RRL from myworldhut.com for cheap only $3.50 for 4oz. Im 32wks and just started drinking it, im currently drinking about 3 cups a day. my midwife recommended it saying it tones the uterus.
Old 06-24-2011, 06:42 PM   #5
kristina
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I get mine form Super Supplements. I made it cold, in a pitcher and drink one-two glasses a day. I think it brings on BH contrax, for me it does anyway. With DS2 at the end I was drinking it like crazy once I was term.
kristina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 08:22 PM   #6
mitre10
Registered Users
seller
seller

Awesome, thanks!

And thanks, Kbunz, for the recommendation to head to our DDC...I don't think the RRL abbreviation registered with me when I scanned through!
Old 06-24-2011, 08:32 PM   #7
Leanbh
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitre10 View Post
Those of you that drink it in pregnancy:

where do you get it from? Think whole foods. There is a lot of raspberry tea mainstream, but not RRL
when do you start drinking it? 36 weeks, just a little nervous to do it before that, you read all kinds of things about some herbs ok, some not but people online still do it, so just being cautious
how much do you drink? Can't remember, maybe 2 strong cups a day

and what benefits are you trying to achieve? It was for my last pg, so second vbac, I was just trying to make my body as strong and ready as possible. Honestly I think even if it only works in your head, yay my uterus is stronger for pushing!, then that alone is a benefit. I think giving birth and most especially vbacs is a lot about the positive thoughts you have in your head that you can do it

I'm trying for a vbac (I'm 32 weeks) and I heard that this might help strengthen my uterus.

Thanks!
I also used the evening primrose oil, put in my ahem around that time onward. And to expand on the positive, kinda mental side of it, I was 110% determined to have a VBAC for DS#2 and even though the attending ob I knew was against it(not my ob, just in practice) I was determined to prove her wrong and say...ha, take that lady.....

Then with my last VBAC, I was so strong physically and mentally more than others. When I eventually got a epi, they had to do it twice while I had crazy contractions, turns out I went form 3cm to 10cm in an hour, as soon as epi was in it was time to push! But the whole time I was visualizing a couple of "ai chi" movements, like "tai chi" but in water, to calm me and get me through. It helped so so much and I told the instructor afterwards and she was thrilled it helped. I'm preggo again and will take a few classes again to brush up. Good luck with your VBAC!!
Old 06-24-2011, 08:47 PM   #8
cinderella08
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Good luck with your VBAC!

I second the above poster re: EPO Capsules. Evening Primrose Oil, or Borage Oil capsules are natural prostaglandins. They help to soften and thin (ripen) the cervix and can really help your body progress quickly and effectively during labor and before!

From 36 weeks until delivery:

1,000mg 3x a day orally
3,000mg inserted vaginally before bed every night.

I'm a VBAC mama and I firmly believe the EPO was a key factor in a successful VBAC
Expecting Oakley Lennon in March 2015!
cinderella08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 10:16 PM   #9
MandeeTheGreat
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Red Raspberry Leaf is completely safe to take throughout the entire pregnancy. It is a common misconception that it causes contractions and triggers labor. That being said most women still do not feel comfortable starting to take/drink it until the second trimester. Here is some more information with cited reliable sources: http://www.motherandchildhealth.com/...raspberry.html

"... shown to strengthen the uterine wall, relax smooth muscle, and help to make delivery easier and speedier by helping the uterus contract more efficiently."
12/16/10 & Cesilee 12/29/11
Born Preemie @ 35 weeks, Check the Blog and shop ZULILY

MandeeTheGreat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 11:40 PM   #10
kismetbaby
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I buy it from mountainroseherbs.com. Organic and bulk, the shipping is not cheap, but I love this company and it's worth it to me. I also buy some other herbs to use with the RRL (see below).

I drink it the entire pg. Appx 1 cup a day the first tri and 2 cups a day the second tri and as much as I can stand thereafter. I infuse about a quart at a time of a combo of RRL, nettles and alfalfa. . .I throw a handful (about a cup maybe of the mixture) in a glass jar, fill with just boiled water and let that stand for a few hours or even over night. Then I strain all the herbs out and keep it in the fridge and drink it over the next few days cold.