View Poll Results: What's your opinion of hypnobabies?
I used it, I loved it! Worked for me! 3 27.27%
I used it, didn't like it. Didn't work for me. 0 0%
Never heard of it. 5 45.45%
I had it, but couldn't complete it. Too long. 3 27.27%
Voters: 11. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 06-29-2011, 06:56 AM   #1
henndoc
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Hypnobabies? Yeah or Nay? Any personal experience?

When my friend was pregant last year, I looked at her hypnobabies kit, and it seemed a bit much. Just reading the beginning instructions made it seem that if you have a bad experience, it's YOUR fault, because you've been programmed to have a negative experience, and you didn't work hard enough to deprogram yourself.

By the way, my friend never completed the program. 45 minutes per day for 2 months was just impossible to make happen. And she had a wonderful home birth.

Well, I'm pregnant now, due in January, and I'm curious about hypnobabies. Has anyone had any personal experience with the program?

Positive or negative experiences welcome! Thanks!

Advertisement

henndoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 07:02 AM   #2
Greenbabybottoms
Registered Users
seller
seller

Re: Hypnobabies? Yeah or Nay? Any personal experience?

I haven't birthed with hypnobabies yet so I can't speak from that experience but I can tell you this is my 3rd birth. I had 2 other births where things didn't go perfectly but with my 2nd things went pretty badly actually (extremely long labor, 6 1/2 hours of pushing, severe shoulder dystocia and the list goes on). I almsot felt like the hypnobabies cds were mocking me. Especially the pregancy affirmations, all the "Your body is made to birth your baby" etc just really made me feel like crap about my body and it's inability to easily birth a baby. I can see where they would be beneficial and I do think it would probably work but my emotional state surrounding my last birth is just too fragile to listen to them. I was in tears and really just beating myself up even more everyday for almost 2 weeks when I decided I just couldn't do it anymore.
Old 06-29-2011, 09:55 AM   #3
Mrs. Pickles
Registered Users
seller

We are using HypnoBirthing the Mongan Method. It sounds like the same idea only kinder to Mommy. There are lots of HypnoBirthing curricula. You shoul research and find what makes you comfortable and works with your lifestyle. There are iPhone apps and books available for Kindle. Also, you can look for an instructor in your area.
Mrs. Pickles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 11:00 AM   #4
tygr2410
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I skipped through the hypnobirthing book and found the relaxation techniques helpful, but I did not do the full program or classes, nor have I read hypnobabies.
Old 06-29-2011, 01:50 PM   #5
AniMommy
Registered Users

My Mood:

I did hypnobabies with a live class. I loved the class and the CD's. For me the 45 mins a day was really easy to do because listening to the CD's totally relaxed me and refreshed me like I had just slept for 7 hours.

In the begining, listening to the cd's was really hard because you're not supposed to move AT ALL. Then of course, i would have an itch or feel the complusion to move. But after I realized I could allow myself to move, it was fine.

It also is a full birth prep course (pretty non-intervention slanted however).

The greatest point of HB for me was that it tells you to listen to yourself, tune out negativity and have your own pregnancy experience. Given that, I won't tell you whether it "worked" for me or not. I did think it was worth it and would use it again if I have another baby
AniMommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 01:55 PM   #6
AniMommy
Registered Users

My Mood:
b6tg

double post

Last edited by AniMommy; 06-29-2011 at 02:27 PM.
Old 06-29-2011, 02:19 PM   #7
Greenbabybottoms
Registered Users
seller
seller

Re: b6tg

Quote:
Originally Posted by AniMommy View Post
If you still want to try HB, listen to the "Pregnancy Affirmations" cd. It talks a lot about separating yourself from past experiences and focusing on just what's happening at this moment.

Best of luck!
The pregnancy affirmations was the one I had the most issue with. I can see how it would be great for a lot of women but to me all I could focus on was it telling me how my body was made to birth, how I could birth easily, my baby would come when she was ready etc but due to my past births I know my body can't birth a baby easily, I know my baby won't be able to come when she is ready unless she wants to come by csection and honestly my body is not made to birth a baby. I think for most people it is probably great but I now know that I do have a pelvic deformity and badly shaped pelvis that isn't really compatible with giving birth easily and I"m lucky if I can get a kid out of there at all.
Old 06-29-2011, 02:29 PM   #8
AniMommy
Registered Users

My Mood:
Re: b6tg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenbabybottoms View Post
The pregnancy affirmations was the one I had the most issue with. I can see how it would be great for a lot of women but to me all I could focus on was it telling me how my body was made to birth, how I could birth easily, my baby would come when she was ready etc but due to my past births I know my body can't birth a baby easily, I know my baby won't be able to come when she is ready unless she wants to come by csection and honestly my body is not made to birth a baby. I think for most people it is probably great but I now know that I do have a pelvic deformity and badly shaped pelvis that isn't really compatible with giving birth easily and I"m lucky if I can get a kid out of there at all.
I re-read your post and realized I had misread it. Sorry for putting foot in mouth,
Old 06-29-2011, 02:42 PM   #9
BldrArch
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by AniMommy View Post
For me the 45 mins a day was really easy to do because listening to the CD's totally relaxed me and refreshed me like I had just slept for 7 hours.

The greatest point of HB for me was that it tells you to listen to yourself, tune out negativity and have your own pregnancy experience.
Yes. Both of these.

Quote:
Originally Posted by henndoc View Post
Just reading the beginning instructions made it seem that if you have a bad experience, it's YOUR fault, because you've been programmed to have a negative experience, and you didn't work hard enough to deprogram yourself.
Funny you should say this. Because I used it, ended up getting an epi anyways and felt this exact way. I also labored for 36 hours and, according to HB, that's too long...in the sense that all your postivie affirmations were supposed to tell your body to open up and have an easy labor. But in actuality I stalled at 5cm for 12 hours. And honest to god I really find what you say to be very true.

That being said, it was a great program while I was pregnant because it IS very relaxing. And I attribute it to my being very calm, positive and comfortable during my last month of pregnancy. And, FWIW, the 33 hours I was in labor before having an epi for my last 3, my doula was impressed with how in control and calm I was. My body was just not cooperating.

Will I use it again...I am really torn. Mostly because of the point you touch upon. I almost feel like if I had done it "correctly" I should not have had that problem so now I feel like I won't be in control...stupid, right?

So, I say "Used it, loved it (for the most part), undecided on using it again"

Red Dog | Studio

Cloth Diapers, Layette Sets, Children's wares and more. Handcrafted in Boulder, CO
Etsy | Free US Shipping
Please take my diapering cost survey!
BldrArch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 02:56 PM   #10
MinkaK
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I used it with my second child and I really liked the parts I did do ( I did not read anything and only listened to some of the cds)

I had a horrible first birth. My son had a shoulder dystocia and the OB had to break his clavicle to get him out ( this was a true dystocia, I had GD and his shoulders were abnormally large). I tore from one end to another, just an awful experience.

So with my second I needed something to ground me, given that having that first experience scared me. I would listen to the cd at nap and would just feel so good when I woke up. I found the contractions much easier to breath through, than with my son, but that could just be doing it before, you know? I had a much easier birth the second time. I did get it again for this pregnancy.