View Poll Results: What's your opinion of hypnobabies?
I used it, I loved it! Worked for me! 3 27.27%
I used it, didn't like it. Didn't work for me. 0 0%
Never heard of it. 5 45.45%
I had it, but couldn't complete it. Too long. 3 27.27%
Voters: 11. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 06-29-2011, 11:45 PM   #11
hippieintraining
Registered Users
seller

Re: Hypnobabies? Yeah or Nay? Any personal experience?

I found it to be very time consuming. I didn't do it every day, I just couldn't. But I started quite early in my pregnancy, so I think that made up for it.

It worked so well that I didn't even listen to the pushing track, because I didn't know I was 'that' far along, and then I only pushed for two minutes...

I would do it again in heartbeat and will do it again IF we have another LO

Advertisement

My ISO/IHA
hippieintraining is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 05:55 AM   #12
henndoc
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Thanks for the information. This is my third baby. I had an epidural with my first, and did all natural, no meds with my second. I'm planning on no meds again this time. I'm just trying to decide if I want to put the effort into the cd's. Honestly, things like that usually annoy me. But, maybe I'll give it a try and just see if it helps. This is definitely going to be the last one for us!
henndoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 07:52 AM   #13
ambersrose
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I used the CD only for my last birth and it helped...I think. I had a beautiful birth. I tried to t read the book that goes along with the CD this time and I was not impressed. I did not like the focus on including your partner. I am a solitary birther. I found the rest of the information in the book to be in the same vain as other natural birthing books. For my next labor and birth I am just going to relax and birth my baby like I did last time and not stress out about if I am following someone else's program for success the right way or not.
Old 06-30-2011, 08:32 AM   #14
KiltedKingdom
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

When I asked my midwife about it (after I bought it ) she said that in her experience, it works as well as calming music. I tried to use it with my last pregnancy, but between all the interruptions (seriously, with 5 kids, you really think I get 45 minutes to myself every day?!?!) and falling asleep, I just couldn't make it through many of the CD's. And I have had several difficult births, due to baby's size (3 of them) and bad positioning (2 of them), so I had a hard time letting go of what I knew based on experience. I think this would be a good program for someone who hasn't had as many as I've had, and I think that generally, it does help to dispel fear and it is relaxing, but for my next one I'm just going to make playlists with songs that I really enjoy to play while I labor.
Old 06-30-2011, 09:05 AM   #15
TwinKristi
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
I have never personally used it, but I did download a few of their freebies on a website for a friend who was trying for a natural birth. I had dh listen to it and he fell right to sleep. I have heard thats the hard part, staying awake through it all. I would totally take the class if I had the time and money as I've seen births and read stories of it working. My friend ended up with a long, painful induction and got an epidural even with a doula and hypnobirthing. I think doing it at home with the book and CD wouldn't be as successful as taking an entire class but they're pricey and I see how it may not be possible for everyone. I would think investing in a doula who's trained in hypnobirthing would be a good idea too. But you have to really be open to the process which is tough when you're in that type of pain.
Old 06-30-2011, 01:53 PM   #16
AniMommy
Registered Users

My Mood:

The falling asleep issue. It's not that you're really asleep, it's that you're deeply relaxed. Lots of people "fall asleep" while listening to hypnobabies. It's still suppose to work even if you're sleeping.

There is a yahoo group on hypnobabies that discusses a lot of these issues.
AniMommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 03:52 PM   #17
mmmarmalade
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I had a HORRIBLE birth experience with my first. The only positives about it were a healthy baby and mom and no c/s. My midwife was actually a hypnobirthing teacher and when she started talking to me while I was pushing for 3 hours, I felt SO empowered and calm! I'd give anything to have her there again for another birth. I don't think CD's would have worked for me, but having a loving woman talk me through it, someone there who KNEW what a hard time I was having really helped. Unfortunately, she passed away from breast cancer

If you decide not to go with hypnobirthing, you should see if you can find a doula well trained in acupressure and massage. My best friend is a massage therapist and has acted as doula at both my births. My second birth was a dream (non of the complications of the first) and seriously, it was the acupressure and massage that got me through it. There are pressure points midway between your neck and shoulders that when you push down on them during a contraction, you can actually FEEL your pelvis opening and it cuts the pain down to almost nothing.

GL mama!111

Marmalade Baby
mmmarmalade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 07:26 PM   #18
sblakeley
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I'm taking the class right now, have 3 of 6 classes done. It really does help me relax and block things out. I'll let you know in sixish weeks how it works for birth. I like the affirmations, they calm me and make me feel positive about my upcomin birth. That I am in charge (I was so not in charge last time, in fact I wasn't allowed to make any decisions beyond I wasn't terminating). My big obstacle this time is keeping my heart rate and blood pressure under control and the relaxation techniques really help lower these for me.
Old 07-01-2011, 09:21 PM   #19
henndoc
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sblakeley View Post
I'm taking the class right now, have 3 of 6 classes done. It really does help me relax and block things out. I'll let you know in sixish weeks how it works for birth. I like the affirmations, they calm me and make me feel positive about my upcomin birth. That I am in charge (I was so not in charge last time, in fact I wasn't allowed to make any decisions beyond I wasn't terminating). My big obstacle this time is keeping my heart rate and blood pressure under control and the relaxation techniques really help lower these for me.
I am so curious about how things work out for you! Good luck!
Old 08-13-2011, 08:43 PM   #20
henndoc
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Well, I started the cd's. They do really annoy me. Plus, I've heard that if you start too soon, you'll burn out on them. So, I'm going to wait a few months and then try again later. I'm not due until January. Maybe I'll start about 6-8 weeks in advance of my due date. I think I would rather just have my favorite music. That's what I did last time.

Although, I think it would be really, really awesome if you could truly hypnotize and anesthetize your abdomen. How cool is that! I would love to hear from some one that was actually able to do that!