Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 07-13-2011, 07:48 PM   #1
newuanda
Registered Users
seller

20 weeks and gained 23 pounds already!!!

Please tell me this is ok. Most I have ever weighed with any of my other kiddos was 157 and I'm at 142 already. I'm not sure if I was this much at 20 weeks with the other kids, but it just seems like having gained that much already is a lot. I'm just hoping no new stretch marks come of this.

Advertisement

Old 07-13-2011, 08:04 PM   #2
USMCgirl_05
Banned

My Mood:
Re: 20 weeks and gained 23 pounds already!!!

I had gained at least that much by 20 weeks, probably more! My body likes to hang on to every last ounce of fat, and then when I'm nursing the baby gets really fat and I get skinny again
USMCgirl_05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 08:06 PM   #3
newuanda
Registered Users
seller

hee hee hee - I get fat babies too!!! I just worry as I'm getting closer to 30 and thinking that my metabolism is slowing down
Old 07-13-2011, 08:09 PM   #4
ho11yb
Registered Users
seller

I started off weighing more than you but was astounded to realize I'd gained 22 lbs-I'm 20 weeks today! I think with DS I had only gained maybe 10 lbs at this point, so it seems crazy to me.

Blame the typos on the iPad!
ho11yb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 08:25 PM   #5
Just2fornow
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

As long as you are trying to eat healthy and taking care of yourself that's a perfectly acceptable amount of weight to gain.
Old 07-14-2011, 10:26 AM   #6
P!nkPepper

Formerly Q......9
seller
seller

My Mood:
I am in nearly the same situation. I am +17 at 21 weeks. Last week my doctor's office said it was fine. However I was informed at WIC yesterday that both my son & I are too heavy. Nice huh? Loooove those growth charts.

Oh, funny thing is they refuse to consider his pull up was super full to leaking at that moment. (Yes that makes me sound bad but he drank 3 cups in a row right before we left for the appt - he wasn't wearing said pull up for hours). Part of me felt like tossing the super heavy pull up on her desk since you can't throw them away at their office. Yes, pregnancy hormones. Call me fat all you want but don't be mean to my sons. Rant over, lol.
P!nkPepper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 10:34 AM   #7
carlaross
Registered Users
seller

I'm super tiny when not pregnant, so I gain a TON when pregnant. I usually gain the most by 30 weeks, then the numbers slow down. By 25 weeks in my last pregnancy, I'd gained about 33 lbs.
carlaross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 10:49 AM   #8
bezark
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quickshep19
I am in nearly the same situation. I am +17 at 21 weeks. Last week my doctor's office said it was fine. However I was informed at WIC yesterday that both my son & I are too heavy. Nice huh? Loooove those growth charts.
I was on WIC for the last month of my pregnancy with DS and the "nutritionist" gave me a 30+ minute lecture about how fat I was. "Because you were so overweight before pregnancy, you should have only gained 15 to 20 pounds by now. You need to be watching your diet a lot better than you are now."
I started out at 140. You couldn't exactly count my ribs or anything, but 140 is a very healthy weight for me. I had gained a fair amount of weight (50lb) but what did she expect me to do? Go on a diet at 36 weeks pregnant? I thank my lucky stars that we didn't need the assistance by the time DS was born because I don't think I would've been able to hold my tongue through another lecture like that.
Old 07-14-2011, 10:58 AM   #9
mommabritt
Registered Users
seller

Location: Currently MO; but wherever the Marines send us. SoCal at heart.
My Mood:

First of all, forget about the stupid WIC office and what they have to say. Because they are a government run nutritional program, they are obligated to say something. Funny thing is most of the WIC workers Ive met with over the years were my size or larger (I am 5'9 and about 180 not pregnant). They also tried to tell me my 6yo (at the time, he is now 8) was severely overweight. Um, you cant pinch and inch of fat and he has had a full blown 6 pack since he was 2. How do you figure?! The charts are rediculous and I just learned to smile and nod.

About weight gain... if your eating mostly healthy and your Dr isnt concerned I wouldnt be either! Your body will gain what it needs if your eating well, regardless. Enjoy your pregnancy and try not to obsess over the number. Afterall, you ARE growing a human.

***IDSO Salt Water Sandals- White, Toddler 7***
mommabritt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 11:23 AM   #10
sisu
Registered Users
seller
seller

Are you weighing yourself at home, or just getting weighed at your appointments? Between 16 and 20 weeks with DS, I had 'gained' 12 pounds. But then at my 24 week appointment, I had 'lost' 5 pounds from my 20 week appointment. So, if you're just getting weighed at your appointments, human error can play a role, too.
sisu is offline   Reply With Quote