Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 07-14-2011, 11:42 AM   #11
newuanda
Registered Users
seller

Re: 20 weeks and gained 23 pounds already!!!

Weighing at home. Oh and WIC - not on it, but have been before. I know that they have said things to my sister though. Even about her children who's collar bones are sticking out and that she needs to watch what they eat more. Don;t get me started on WIC.
Pretty much following the Bradley method diet as I've done before. Maybe I'll have a month or two where I only gain 2 pounds. I have big babies, so that's actually my bigger concern - not about losing the weight.

Advertisement

Old 07-14-2011, 11:53 AM   #12
P!nkPepper

Formerly Q......9
seller
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by bezark

I was on WIC for the last month of my pregnancy with DS and the "nutritionist" gave me a 30+ minute lecture about how fat I was. "Because you were so overweight before pregnancy, you should have only gained 15 to 20 pounds by now. You need to be watching your diet a lot better than you are now."
I started out at 140. You couldn't exactly count my ribs or anything, but 140 is a very healthy weight for me. I had gained a fair amount of weight (50lb) but what did she expect me to do? Go on a diet at 36 weeks pregnant? I thank my lucky stars that we didn't need the assistance by the time DS was born because I don't think I would've been able to hold my tongue through another lecture like that.
Funny thing is in '04 when I was pg & ODS was an undiagnosed Diabetic I got chewed for both of us not gaining weight. I wasn't gaining for a reason ~ my baby had Trismony 18 & didn't survive. ODS wasn't gaining due to Type 1 Diabetes. I can't win there.
P!nkPepper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 01:45 PM   #13
burnsis
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by USMCgirl_05 View Post
I had gained at least that much by 20 weeks, probably more! My body likes to hang on to every last ounce of fat, and then when I'm nursing the baby gets really fat and I get skinny again
that's me as well....I gained 70 lbs with DS1, but admittedly, I did nothing but eat and sleep. With DS2, I worked out during pregnancy, and still gained 55lbs. I burn it off with nursing though, and am usually back to my old self by 6-7 months postpartum.

His body, his choice.
burnsis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011, 08:07 AM   #14
mandymatus
Registered Users

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by USMCgirl_05 View Post
I had gained at least that much by 20 weeks, probably more! My body likes to hang on to every last ounce of fat, and then when I'm nursing the baby gets really fat and I get skinny again
this sounds about like me too!
Old 07-15-2011, 08:13 AM   #15
HeatherM0529
Registered Users
seller
seller

As long as you're eating healthy you should be fine.
Drink plenty of water to flush yourself out.
The average delivery is like 22 pounds, so far you're doing just fine.

I was last weighed at my 14.5 weeks appt and I had gained a total of 3 pounds at that point (Probably 5 now at 16). I guess I'm doing good. I'm eating a TON, but I'm 21 and still have a decent metabolism even though I haven't worked out in 4+ years!
HeatherM0529 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011, 08:40 AM   #16
Wendylady
Registered Users

I gained 50lbs with both of my prior pregnancies and was back to my starting weight by my 6week checkup. A lot of weight gain during pregnancy isn't necessarily a cause for concern. I've only gained 3 lbs so far this pregnancy(just under 18 weeks right now) but I won't be worried if I suddenly start gaining a ton since I have before. As long as you're eating healthy I wouldn't worry about it.
Old 07-15-2011, 09:49 AM   #17
TwinKristi
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
I usually gain a lot of weight too. I gained 61lbs with my twins but it was all within 14 wks. I lost 30 by I was released and the last 30 at a yr PP.
With my next baby I gained 60lbs again but had a 9+ lb baby and lost it all by 1yr PP. With my 4th I gained 60 again but with my 5th I started out 30lbs more and gained only 35lbs. LOL so I ended up at the same weight. I started out at the same weight as #5 but at 18wks I've only gained 5lbs. WIC always lectured me too, i gained too much weight, my babies were overweight...blablabla. Like the PP said, any gov't agency will be all crazy about obesity. And LOL I remember one nutritionist was quite heavy herself. I had dr who was telling me about my BMI and how unhealthy it was, I was 4mos PP. She easily had 25-50lbs on me! Haha
Old 07-15-2011, 11:40 AM   #18
MinkaK
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I am almost 20 weeks and a few weeks ago I hadn't gained anything, I am super curious to see if I have yet. I started about 143. I am on a very strict diet/exercise program due to GD but I expect to start gaining soon. With dd I started my preg at 141 and gained 15ish lbs. She weighed 8.9lbs at 36w and I got weighed a couple hours after having her and was at my prepreg weight, so that was interesting.
Old 07-15-2011, 11:57 AM   #19
kelseyjoy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Just wanted to tell you that I was there by 20 weeks too. I gain fast early on and then slow down in the end. Try not to worry about it too much. It will come off after the baby if you work at it! Just enjoy the pregnancy. I know that's easier said than done.
kelseyjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011, 02:13 PM   #20
songbird516
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Try replacing carbs with healthy fat. (butter, coconut oil, olive oil, full-fat dairy). That might help and it's a safe way to keep your calorie intake up and not store as much fat. An ideal ratio might be 50% fat, 35% protein, 15% carbs. This is in line with what traditional healthy cultures ate to maintain lean body mass and optimal health.