Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 08-04-2016, 04:39 PM   #1
Holly dolly
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Is there ANYTHING similar to Sweet Iris?

Ok...I know sweet iris flats are THE bomb...and I have a few coming...but I'm also smart enough to realize that I cannot afford a complete stash of them. Are there any other flats or inserts that are even 1/10 as good? :wink:

I tried searching...but sweet Iris comes up A LOT in posts here.

Advertisement

Wife to Casey Mom to Isaac and Carson Hoping for someone new in 2014
Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around.
Holly dolly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2016, 04:53 PM   #2
shanisep
Registered Users
seller

Re: Is there ANYTHING similar to Sweet Iris?

Stashify is the closest to sweet iris but they closed shop. I've also owned Fruit of the Womb Green Apple Taffy flats, Wink bamboo flats, and Orange Diaper Company Flats. I liked all of these just fine and they definitely do the job. But none of them beats Sweet Iris when you consider both trimness and absorption in my opinion. There is a newer wahm that makes Nelpe Flats. Those look very similar to Orange diaper company flats and are much more affordable than any of the above mentioned. They wouldn't be as trim as Sweet iris but would get the job done.
I really liked Thirsties Hemp Prefolds on my son as well for a trim, absorbant option.
I can't speak for inserts...
shanisep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2016, 06:36 PM   #3
klnra
Registered Users
seller

I bought 8 SI then made another dozen of my own flats out of fabric I found that was almost identical except not made with organic cotton. When I pull them out of the dryer I've mistaken my homemade for SI and vice versa. You can get a yard of fabric for about the same cost as one SI flat. Cutting is a total pain even with a rotary cutter but they don't need to be serged.
klnra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2016, 06:53 PM   #4
luvmybaby333
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by klnra View Post
I bought 8 SI then made another dozen of my own flats out of fabric I found that was almost identical except not made with organic cotton. When I pull them out of the dryer I've mistaken my homemade for SI and vice versa. You can get a yard of fabric for about the same cost as one SI flat. Cutting is a total pain even with a rotary cutter but they don't need to be serged.
Which fabric is that? I'm mainly just curious as to what makes this fabric different. I only have experience with bamboo velour, terry, and fleece. I've been confused by the pictures if Sweet Iris flats because they look like a cross between squishy bamboo velour and fleece, but people are using Snappies and Boingos on them. I wish there was a way I could see and feel then for myself without having to buy one to ease my curiosity. LOL
luvmybaby333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2016, 07:05 PM   #5
klnra
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvmybaby333 View Post
Which fabric is that? I'm mainly just curious as to what makes this fabric different. I only have experience with bamboo velour, terry, and fleece. I've been confused by the pictures if Sweet Iris flats because they look like a cross between squishy bamboo velour and fleece, but people are using Snappies and Boingos on them. I wish there was a way I could see and feel then for myself without having to buy one to ease my curiosity. LOL
French terry. One side is smooth like jersey and the other has flat loops like chain mail. I've actually been using the smooth side against my baby because she's been chafing from the textured side. The snappi works fine with that side, but it's not quite as easy to hook.
Old 08-04-2016, 07:07 PM   #6
klnra
Registered Users
seller

So in theory, jersey with some spandex in it would work well too. Gonna be testing that theory with spandex hemp jersey soon the problem is finding something heavy enough.
Old 08-04-2016, 07:21 PM   #7
Fashionably Green Baby
Registered Users
Formerly: artistmom
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by luvmybaby333
bamboo stretch French terry from natures fabrics. Makes amazing flats

http://www.naturesfabrics.com/bamboo...nch-terry.html

Last edited by Fashionably Green Baby; 08-04-2016 at 07:22 PM.
Fashionably Green Baby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2016, 07:30 PM   #8
Holly dolly
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by klnra
So how many flats can you get from a yard?

Wife to Casey Mom to Isaac and Carson Hoping for someone new in 2014
Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around.
Holly dolly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2016, 08:03 PM   #9
klnra
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holly dolly View Post
So how many flats can you get from a yard?
I got 6 medium (23") flats per 2 yards plus a long scrap at the bottom for doublers.
Old 08-04-2016, 08:07 PM   #10
kmrotski
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

OP- Im so glad you posted this thread because I have had my eye on SI flats but cant bring myself to spend the money!

Quote:
Originally Posted by klnra View Post
I got 6 medium (23") flats per 2 yards plus a long scrap at the bottom for doublers.
How does one go about making flats? If I ordered this fabric what would I have to do to it?
kmrotski is online now   Reply With Quote