Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-11-2016, 12:47 PM   #1
Elchorrito
Registered Users
seller

BG 4.0 Leaking

Hi all, I purchased 11 BG 4.0 at a consignment sale for dirt cheap, and they appear to be in decent condition, but I can't get them to stop leaking! First they had a bad ammonia smell when wet, so I stripped them all and fixed that. I replaced all the elastics, and while turning them inside out for that noticed the PUL is cracked on about 3 of them, so I threw those 3 out. The PUL looks good on the rest, but they still leak. I have a couple BG 4.0s that I bought new and I have no leaks with them, so I know this type of diaper should work for us. Any ideas? Leaks are mainly from leg holes. What else can I try with these?

Advertisement

Elchorrito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2016, 06:51 PM   #2
Tshebby
Registered Users
seller

Re: BG 4.0 Leaking

I had leaks unless I was using something non microfiber. The microfiber tends to give you a squashed out sponge compression leak in my opinion.
Is is also possible that it is the thread sewing holes? Have you tried just pouring water in them to check?
Tshebby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2016, 06:52 PM   #3
stevensmom
Administrator
Squeeze your own darn cheeks
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:

Sealing them in a hot dryer?
BabyBoyBlueBoutique
stevensmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2016, 08:51 PM   #4
Elchorrito
Registered Users
seller

I did try sealing, but wasn't entirely sure how. Just 10 min on high? Is there a method to this? I know microfiber can cause problems, but I'm using it in the newly purchased diaper and it works fine, so I'd think it should also work fine in these. Or does age make a difference there too?
Old 10-12-2016, 09:07 AM   #5
Pixi6s
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

MF can be hard to clean hence if urine is getting lock inside they will be less absorbant. Maybe try a new MF in a used pocket and see what happens. You can also check the absorbency on a new one vrs an old one, click link in my sig or found in the stickies.

It's also possible that the suede cloth is repelling so the liquid is rolling off the suedecloth and out the leg instead of absorbing. If its nothing obvious, try washing with bleach.
Mom to LO#1 born 1/7/2010 (Cloth diapered since day 1; Part-time EC since 9 months; Daytime PL since 29 months; Nightime PL at 5.5 years) & LO#2 born 12/1/2013 (First diaper was cloth! Part-time EC since 12 months & daytime PL at 26 months) Checkout my absorbency tests. Thoughts on how long a cloth diaper REALLY lasts. Thoughts on Yeast , here, here, here & a newer one here. My thoughts on how to Wash Wool & Sanitize Wool and my Tinkle Traps Review.
Pixi6s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2016, 06:50 PM   #6
FosteringInfants
Registered Users

Large Diaper rite bamboo flats make good inserts. I prefer to use covers instead of pockets though.
FosteringInfants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2016, 01:58 PM   #7
Elchorrito
Registered Users
seller

Good idea - I swapped new mf insert into old pocket and old insert into new pocket. The old pocket still leaked with the new insert, the new pocket did not leak with the old insert. So there is something with the old pockets... I did replace the elastics. Is it possible the PUL just went bad or was damaged somehow by the previous owner? I'm sick of soaking through clothes!
Old 10-15-2016, 07:33 PM   #8
Pixi6s
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I leg hole would mean that its still not absorbing so my bet is on the suedecloth. Do you have anything else to use as inserts instead of the MF. Something you can lay on top of the cover. You can also try and saturate the MF insert and then lay it in the pocket... see if the PUL is keeping it in. Unfortunately dribbling water on top of the suedecloth to see if its soaks in isn't a great test. Maybe dribble water on top of a new one and an old one and see if they behave differently? I know fleece needs pressure to absorb... not entirely sure if it works the same for suedecloth, but could try and add gentle pressure.

If the suedecloth is repelling, it could be something like diaper cream or oil. Try washing it with a toothbrush... not entirely sure what cleaning power to use.. maybe want to search what others have used.
Mom to LO#1 born 1/7/2010 (Cloth diapered since day 1; Part-time EC since 9 months; Daytime PL since 29 months; Nightime PL at 5.5 years) & LO#2 born 12/1/2013 (First diaper was cloth! Part-time EC since 12 months & daytime PL at 26 months) Checkout my absorbency tests. Thoughts on how long a cloth diaper REALLY lasts. Thoughts on Yeast , here, here, here & a newer one here. My thoughts on how to Wash Wool & Sanitize Wool and my Tinkle Traps Review.
Pixi6s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2016, 08:38 PM   #9
carverjill
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller

If 3 had damaged PUL I'd guess the others have a similar issue its just too small to see with your naked eye.
Old 10-19-2016, 10:43 AM   #10
ashbo0
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I've noticed BG tend to have leaks if baby is a heavy wetter. My 8 mo old is a VERY heavy wetter and we have a huge mixed lot of new and used BG's. Each one has leaked at one time or another. I use bamboo blend inserts (alva) and they seem to work really well if I stay on top of regular diaper changes, but when I use Thirsties hemp inserts, theyre just too short and not wide enough - ALL.THE.LEAKS. So instead, I use them as a doubler at night and they seem to help with leaks a bit.

So it could just be the inserts you are using, and not entirely the condition of the diapers. It seems like I am always troubleshooting my diaper situation LOL
ashbo0 is offline   Reply With Quote