Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 04-18-2015, 08:53 AM   #1
qdolney
Registered Users

Lot of bumgenius 4.0 needs elastic repair

I found a local stash of 36 bumgenius 4.0 diapers for sale that includes both liners, two rolls of disposable liners, a diaper sprayer and 12 or so other hemp/bamboo liners. 11 are snaps, 27 are aplix, there are 10 chelsey perry prints the rest are solids. The elastics are almost all shot. The aplix looks pretty good on most maybe a few need to be replaced. If the going price is $400 do you all think that would be a good investment? I'm probably intermediate at sewing so replacing the elastics doesnt seem too daunting. I would be selling a few to recoup costs but I'm just not sure if its a good deal. Any advice?

Advertisement

qdolney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2015, 09:16 AM   #2
greysmama
Registered Users
seller

Well the Chelsea perry prints are popular with a lot of moms and go for 20-40$ used local. If they are in good condition. So if you think you could find buyers I might do it for that alone but I general if I have to replace elastics I shoot for $10 or under each locally.
greysmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2015, 09:58 AM   #3
special.k.marie
Registered Users
seller
seller

Lot of bumgenius 4.0 needs elastic repair

Quote:
Originally Posted by qdolney View Post
I found a local stash of 36 bumgenius 4.0 diapers for sale that includes both liners, two rolls of disposable liners, a diaper sprayer and 12 or so other hemp/bamboo liners. 11 are snaps, 27 are aplix, there are 10 chelsey perry prints the rest are solids. The elastics are almost all shot. The aplix looks pretty good on most maybe a few need to be replaced. If the going price is $400 do you all think that would be a good investment? I'm probably intermediate at sewing so replacing the elastics doesnt seem too daunting. I would be selling a few to recoup costs but I'm just not sure if its a good deal. Any advice?

Double check the PUL. If it is still intact / doesn't work or leak, I'd say that's an OK deal.
Doing some rough math:
Diaper sprayer worth $20
Disposable liners worth $15-20
Bamboo / hemp liners (if reusable) $24-26
$400 - $59-$66 = $341-$334 for the BG
$341-$334 / 36 = $9.27 - $9.47 each, so around the $10 the PP looks for.
Replacing elastics in a 4.0 is pretty easy. The first few take a while but once you get the hang of it it goes pretty quickly.
OR you can buy the BG brand new, no work involved, for about $15 each. You wouldn't have to worry about stripping or sanitizing, possible PUL issues, etc. (right now at cotton babies' website they are buy 5, get 1 free for $89.95 with free shipping.)
It might be a lot more to invest initially, but my BG pockets wore out a LOT faster than expected and I bought them all new - you have no guarantees how well the used ones were treated and how they were cared for / how long they will last.
That's just my $0.02

Looking for new earrings? Visit my etsy shop and use code DIAPERSWAPPERS10 for 10% off!
SPARKLY STRANDS

Last edited by special.k.marie; 04-18-2015 at 10:31 AM.
special.k.marie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2015, 01:09 PM   #4
Pixi6s
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Lot of bumgenius 4.0 needs elastic repair

If the elastics on mine our shot I sell them for FSOT maybe fora bit more. That seem really expensive. I'd say maybe $5 a BG. The other stuff -- I'd say used sprayer maybe $10 otherwise from person above breakdown seems okay. BG aplix isn't known for lasting long. I find it last about a year in a mid-size stash. I'd say there is a good chance the aplix will at least need be to replaced soon. you can buy BG repairs kits for a few bucks each to repair and it isn't too hard -- I did it on 4 or 5 BG and I'd say I'm novice with a sewer.

Maybe if the prints that are worth alot it could be worth it. I'd probably sell most of them to make back some money right away personally.
Mom to LO#1 born 1/7/2010; Cloth diapered since day 1; Part-time EC since 9 months; Daytime PL since 29 months & LO#2 born 12/1/2013; first diaper was a tiny Swaddlebees Newborn Fitted! Checkout my absorbency tests. Thoughts on Yeast , here, here, here and a newer one here. My thoughts on how to Wash Wool

Last edited by Pixi6s; 04-18-2015 at 06:14 PM.
Pixi6s is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2015, 01:43 PM   #5
neuro_mom
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Really take a close look at the pul - with a flashlight and a magnifying glass. I have some BGs that I bought that were EUC (excellent used condition) when I bought them. After about 2 years of use, the pul in the back (at top where you insert pocket) is starting to crack.

Also, the resale on aplix is less than snaps because it is such a pain to replace. Snap-converted aplix sell for far less. You might be better off just buying some from Cottonbabies when they have a seconds sale.

Last edited by neuro_mom; 04-18-2015 at 01:44 PM.
neuro_mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2015, 02:02 PM   #6
special.k.marie
Registered Users
seller
seller

Also, do you have the time and energy to do all that work to repair the diapers? If you are still pregnant you have a deadline. If you already have a baby you have limited time. IMO I would not buy the lot you described.
I personally don't even like pockets all that much; are you sure you want to invest that much in one style and brand of diapers?

Looking for new earrings? Visit my etsy shop and use code DIAPERSWAPPERS10 for 10% off!
SPARKLY STRANDS
special.k.marie is online now   Reply With Quote