Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 04-29-2015, 10:06 PM   #1
special.k.marie
Registered Users
seller
seller

How expensive is a wool investment?

I've always used PUL and neither of my kids had issues. But finding clothing that fits over without causing leaks is getting difficult because my daughter has such long legs.
I signed up for Instagram to follow cloth diaper and baby carrier companies and came across the sloomb feed. I know they are a pricey investment but I know they have resale value if cared for properly, so I'm seriously considering trying wool out.
So those of you who are full time wool users, do you have any tips and suggestions?
Here's some background; we attend meetings with our congregation at least 2x a week so my daughter regularly wears dresses. At home I've stuck with upsized onesies and pants - I'm open to suggestions on what would work better and how to make the switch. However, I do not know how to knit or crochet and my first attempt at felting sweaters to sew my own soakers left me with tiny thick sweaters. So I guess that leaves me with interlock or upcycled. Which do you prefer and why? And how much would a switch to full time wool cost? As in, how many soakers / skirties / longies / basewoolies would I need, and where should I buy them?

Advertisement

Looking for new earrings? Visit my etsy shop and use code DIAPERSWAPPERS20 for 20% off!
SPARKLY STRANDS
special.k.marie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2015, 11:35 PM   #2
stevensmom
Super Moderator
Squeeze your own darn cheeks
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: How expensive is a wool investment?

I started using will with my daughter because she had the chunkiest thighs. But e used them as clothing and not covers. We wear aios under them.

Cost isn't that bad. It's an initial investment like diapers
Swag with me! Bing it!
stevensmom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2015, 06:29 AM   #3
Janadi
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Sloomb is toward the higher end even for wool. Check out etsy and hyena cart- you may find a solution closer within budget.
Old 04-30-2015, 06:43 AM   #4
Pixi6s
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Upcycle would work especially well if you aren't planning on dropping the PUL. And the least expensive. You don't have to felt the sweaters before sewing them BTW
Some upcycle will work well as a diaper covers some don't - its hard to know when buying online. Etsy and ebay have alot of good priced upcycle for sell.

If you want to stick with onsies you could get onsies extenders or just switch to shirts. They are marketed at like the 2T size but found in the Lafayette section at BRU or on amazon. The snaps aren't compatible with all snaps though. Some people do experience leaks in onsies in general so switching to shirts (which you have to do anyway to switching to wool as diaper cover). Also think about how summer is coming up and whiching to dresses and shorts were length is a little less important.

I think we need to know if you are planning on switching your diapering plan or just buying wool pants.
Mom to LO#1 born 1/7/2010; Cloth diapered since day 1; Part-time EC since 9 months; Daytime PL since 29 months & LO#2 born 12/1/2013; first diaper was a tiny Swaddlebees Newborn Fitted! Checkout my absorbency tests. Thoughts on Yeast , here, here, here and a newer one here. My thoughts on how to Wash Wool & Sanitize Wool
Pixi6s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2015, 07:41 AM   #5
special.k.marie
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pixi6s View Post
Upcycle would work especially well if you aren't planning on dropping the PUL. And the least expensive. You don't have to felt the sweaters before sewing them BTW
Some upcycle will work well as a diaper covers some don't - its hard to know when buying online. Etsy and ebay have alot of good priced upcycle for sell.

If you want to stick with onsies you could get onsies extenders or just switch to shirts. They are marketed at like the 2T size but found in the Lafayette section at BRU or on amazon. The snaps aren't compatible with all snaps though. Some people do experience leaks in onsies in general so switching to shirts (which you have to do anyway to switching to wool as diaper cover). Also think about how summer is coming up and whiching to dresses and shorts were length is a little less important.

I think we need to know if you are planning on switching your diapering plan or just buying wool pants.

I am with my children 6 days a week and my sitter doesn't have children of her own so I might have to keep something else around for her use; along with my husband, they would both be fine using disposables just because they don't want to "learn" about cloth options.
I do most of the diaper changes and as I don't receive any hand me downs, I buy all my daughter's clothes.
I have a sewing machine but limited time for anything creative; my daughter doesn't nap well and my son gets into things when he isn't watched like a hawk.
I don't know if I am switching over. I don't want to invest in anything else before counting the cost, so that's why I posted.
If someone with a daughter in full time wool could breakdown their current wardrobe I could start checking into what it would cost, and that would help immensely.

Looking for new earrings? Visit my etsy shop and use code DIAPERSWAPPERS20 for 20% off!
SPARKLY STRANDS
Old 04-30-2015, 07:46 AM   #6
Pixi6s
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Also know you don't have to go fulltime (or full time with you). It depends on how many options you want. You could get away with about 4 pairs on longies in the winter and soakers/shorties/skirties in the summer but 6-8 leave more clothing matching available. The less options you plan the have the more basic/simple your colors should be to ensure you have a pair to go with everything.

Wool in the sandbox freaks me out so I'm looking into wool wraps to go under shorts at the moment. Though I really enjoyed longies in the winter, for us, I always seems to have trouble matching some tops - I seem to have the worst luck with my daughter having everything in her wardrobe (whether wool or not) match with something.
Mom to LO#1 born 1/7/2010; Cloth diapered since day 1; Part-time EC since 9 months; Daytime PL since 29 months & LO#2 born 12/1/2013; first diaper was a tiny Swaddlebees Newborn Fitted! Checkout my absorbency tests. Thoughts on Yeast , here, here, here and a newer one here. My thoughts on how to Wash Wool & Sanitize Wool

Last edited by Pixi6s; 04-30-2015 at 07:49 AM.
Old 04-30-2015, 08:26 AM   #7
special.k.marie
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pixi6s View Post
Also know you don't have to go fulltime (or full time with you). It depends on how many options you want. You could get away with about 4 pairs on longies in the winter and soakers/shorties/skirties in the summer but 6-8 leave more clothing matching available. The less options you plan the have the more basic/simple your colors should be to ensure you have a pair to go with everything.

Wool in the sandbox freaks me out so I'm looking into wool wraps to go under shorts at the moment. Though I really enjoyed longies in the winter, for us, I always seems to have trouble matching some tops - I seem to have the worst luck with my daughter having everything in her wardrobe (whether wool or not) match with something.

I'm pretty much an "all or nothing" person by nature, but I understand the suggestion. I'm not really too concerned about matchy matchy so I would probably just get neutral wool.
I am awaiting a shipment that contains 6 bamboo fitteds and I'm considering trying wool over them at night. My daughter has outgrown all her sleepers so I need to buy something for overnight anyway.
Our room is upstairs and the vents haven't been doing a great job cooling down, so whatever I decide will need to work in warm weather - it isn't even summer yet so it will only get warmer inside.

SPARKLY STRANDS
Old 04-30-2015, 08:35 AM   #8
janeahn
Registered Users
seller

Try interlock. Its easy to care for as you can wash it on delicate in the washer. If you are hoping for a high resale value, stick to popular brands like bumby or wcw. Facebook woolswappers is a great place to find stuff! That is of course if you do fb. Spots often has wool items and you can look into cute girly bloomers or wool leggings to wear under dresses.
janeahn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2015, 08:37 AM   #9
Pixi6s
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I have 2 pairs on longies I alternative for nighttime over a fitted. Right now my LO (17m) wears that under her HALO cotton or fleece sleepsack depending on temp with a cotton long sleeve PJ top.

I stick with machine knit for night (Just Ducky Wool on ebay/hyneacart) During the day I do knit/crochet or wraps under pants/shorts going forward.

Sure if you buy $80 it retains its resell well. If you buy $20 wool, you can sell it for $8-10 if still in good shape - or $40 knit can sell for $15-$20 used. Doesn't make since to me to spend more to get more back. Whats the actual gain? unless you particularly want that kind of wool.

Last edited by Pixi6s; 04-30-2015 at 08:40 AM.
Old 04-30-2015, 08:42 AM   #10
Pixi6s
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by special.k.marie View Post
I'm pretty much an "all or nothing" person by nature, but I understand the suggestion. I'm not really too concerned about matchy matchy so I would probably just get neutral wool.
I am awaiting a shipment that contains 6 bamboo fitteds and I'm considering trying wool over them at night. My daughter has outgrown all her sleepers so I need to buy something for overnight anyway.
Our room is upstairs and the vents haven't been doing a great job cooling down, so whatever I decide will need to work in warm weather - it isn't even summer yet so it will only get warmer inside.
I'm still a little lost why to switch to wool diaper covers because you DD legs are too long. Custom/wool pants sure, but as diaper covers...