Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 07-16-2011, 05:03 PM   #1
Angel89411
Banned

Found this on the cause/treatment of pre-e

I was curious and looking up something and came across this. I read all of the cause and skimmed the treatment. I was wondering what y'alls take on this was?

http://www.drbrewerpregnancydiet.com/id36.html

Advertisement

Angel89411 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2011, 05:11 PM   #2
USMCgirl_05
Banned

My Mood:
Re: Found this on the cause/treatment of pre-e

I had pre-e with my 1st and PIH with my 2nd and this time around I have been on a high protein diet the whole time and it seems to be working. I get around 100-120g of protein per day, I also take garlic/ cal-mag with D3/alfalfa and some other supplements, they are all supposed to lower your blood pressure not just during pregnancy. Oh and I cut out caffeine entirely.

My last 2 kids I was already hypertensive in the middle of the 2nd trimester, right now I am going on 33 weeks and my BP is totally normal.
USMCgirl_05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2011, 05:51 PM   #3
Angel89411
Banned

Out of curiosity, how do you get so much protein in one day? I ate a high protein breakfast for a change and actually have had energy for the day for the first time in forever. I want t increase it throughout the whole day from now on.
Old 07-16-2011, 06:19 PM   #4
songbird516
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I think there is some validity to the Brewer diet, but I also feel that the protein requirements are excessive for some women. More emphasis should be given to natural sources of fat. I have heard some women who feel that they grew unnaturally large babies for their bodies after following the Brewer diet. Basically, I think it is slightly unbalanced but better than some diets pregnant women are put on.
Old 07-16-2011, 06:42 PM   #5
USMCgirl_05
Banned

My Mood:

the protein requirements are VERY high, but my midwife only recommends it for women with a history of pre-e or PIH. She said for just "regular" pregnant women she recommends 80g/day which is not much more than the usual recommendation for adults I think is 60g??

Anyways some of the things I eat-
-Greek yogurt (I use organic) has anywhere from 12+g of protein
-cheese, milk, cottage cheese with fruit, string cheese is easy to grab for a snack
-sandwiches at lunch with meat, cheese and whole grain bread (also has protein in it)
-chicken salad sandwiches can be up to like 40g each!
-nuts are a great source if you like them, either whole/raw or even peanut butter
-eggs, either cooked like for breakfast or boiled and you can leave them in the fridge for a quick snack
-Odwalla and Naked brand "protein" juices are soooo good
-every actual meal especially lunch and dinner is centered around some type of meat, usually chicken or beef because I prefer them, pork isn't as good for you and I just don't like the taste of turkey right now for some reason

It was really hard in the beginning, I wasn't used to eating double the amount of protein as normal obviously! But I kept checking labels at the grocery store and I would find more and more things that had enough protein for the calories where I felt it was "worth it" to eat if that makes sense. Like greek yogurt vs regular yogurt. Now I'm 8 months along and I don't really have to think about it, I have adjusted so well. I used to feel really sick all the time and always hungry, and I feel pretty good now.

EtA: the midwives do think my baby "feels big" and I am measuring a couple weeks ahead of where I should be. I'm not too worried though because I've had 2 vaginal births already and my other 2 were under 7 lbs.

Last edited by USMCgirl_05; 07-16-2011 at 06:45 PM.
Old 07-16-2011, 07:25 PM   #6
songbird516
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by USMCgirl_05 View Post

EtA: the midwives do think my baby "feels big" and I am measuring a couple weeks ahead of where I should be. I'm not too worried though because I've had 2 vaginal births already and my other 2 were under 7 lbs.
I'll be interested to see if you feel that the Brewer Diet affects the size of your third child. I'll be looking for your birth story
Old 07-16-2011, 07:49 PM   #7
USMCgirl_05
Banned

My Mood:

I'm hoping August We shall see!
Old 07-17-2011, 06:23 AM   #8
Greenbabybottoms
Registered Users
seller
seller

I started on the Brewer's diet in the middle of my 1st pregnancy when my BP started creeping up and did end up with Pre E. I followed it with my 2nd also and did not have any high bp or pre e BUT both of my babies were larger than I could easily birth. They both had shoulder dystocia and many hours of pushing. My 2nd we really just got lucky getting her out. This time my midwives did suggest I stay far away from the Brewer's diet just in case that is the cause of the larger babies.
Old 07-17-2011, 08:38 AM   #9
1blessedmama
Registered Users
seller

I followed the Brewers diet off and on for portions of my last pregnancy...my reasons were to stay on top of my weight gain (not that it mattered, I still gained 45lbs AGAIN...must be my set pg weight) and because of my battles with candida. My son was big in comparison to my 7lb 5oz, 19", 13.25" head circ daughters...he was 9lbs 10oz, 22", 15.5" head! (the head was the kicker!) I have always felt the diet was part of that, though I'll never know. But at the same time, he follows a perfect pattern for boys vs. girls in my husbands family (7lb girls, 9+lbs boys), and my brother was 9lbs 14oz...so I can't really say it was the diet. I could have very well had that big of a baby no matter what.
1blessedmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2011, 04:58 PM   #10
Angel89411
Banned

I have read that your body turns protein to carbs and the OB who delivered DS said that more carbs make bigger babies. Assuming that is true, I wonder if that is why following this diet leads to big babies?

Please excuse my typos. My phone thinks it knows what I am trying to say better than I do.