Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 07-17-2011, 05:39 PM   #1
sweetpeamami83
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
What do you do with older kids while in labor/delivery with no family/friends

k

Advertisement

Last edited by sweetpeamami83; 09-13-2012 at 10:29 PM.
sweetpeamami83 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2011, 06:13 PM   #2
Hitchkids
Registered Users

Re: What do you do with older kids while in labor/delivery with no family/friends

First, I would try to get hooked into some group as soon as you get there to find someone to help. Maybe when you register with your new church, let them know of your needs. We once moved 3 weeks before a baby was born. My husband asked our neighbor to stay with our older child until my Mom was able to arrive. That neighbor became a wonderful friend while we lived there (she was an older woman, could have been a grandma but had not been that lucky yet). Another time we were waiting to leave for the hospital until we got a hold of a sitter. Hospital called us back and said just come in and bring all the kids (they knew we would have 5 kids under 8 with us). They said we deal with this all the time, we know how to handle it and we will make sure someone is taking care of your kids. Granted, our sitter showed up shortly so we were able to avoid that situation. But I guess what I'm saying is it will likely work out. Maybe hire a college student to be on call for you or see if someone in your new area who is a post partum doula would be willing to serve as a babysitter for you.
Hitchkids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2011, 06:43 PM   #3
USMCgirl_05
Banned

My Mood:
Re: What do you do with older kids while in labor/delivery with no family/friends

I found a lady on craigslist who does home daycare and I am meeting her this week. She is a SAHM and does babysitting on the side, both in her home or in yours.

Anyways, we have already talked on the phone but basically she is going to watch my kids every appointment starting at 36 weeks so they will be familiar with her and comfortable going over there. then she will be "on call" from 38 weeks onward so I can literally call her in the middle of the night and we can go drop off the kids if I go into labor. I am using a birth center and it's 80 miles away so it makes me feel a lot better to be able to drop them off along the way. So that's the plan, and I am going to ask a couple of my friends to be emergency backup in case anything crazy happens. But all of my friends work and we have no family even in the same state, so I am in the same boat!!!
USMCgirl_05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2011, 06:55 PM   #4
andyoly82
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Are you military? Check out the ACS and the posts/bases web page. They usually have trained professionals that can help or you could find a play group and meet some mommies before you deliver. The hospital may even have a daycare in there. I know some do....
Old 07-17-2011, 07:03 PM   #5
CDNMommyofmany
Registered Users
Formerly: CDN Mama of 4_08
seller
seller

Good question!!! We're expecting #6 in October and even though we have family and friends closeby (within 30 minutes) NO ONE wants to be bothered helping us out with the kids (all under the age of 12) when I go in to deliver...why? Because the kids are too busy, and wear everyone out too quick! OMG, seriously??? Right now, we're not sure at all what is gonna happen, DH says if worse comes to worse he'll just have to drop me off at the hospital (3 blocks away) and come back after-he's not really into the whole delivery thing and would prefer not to be there anyway, BUT that means I'm there on my own! If he ends up missing the birth, I am seriously going to disown every family member/friend that even thinks about showing up at my house or the hospital to see the baby for a long time!!!
Proud Stay-at-home-mama to 6 (including 4 preemies 29-35 weeks); who enjoys reading, homeschooling/unschooling and trying to make everyday as stress-free as possible for my 2 precious sons with Autism
CDNMommyofmany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2011, 08:49 PM   #6
crunchymom2b
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDNMommyofmany View Post
Good question!!! We're expecting #6 in October and even though we have family and friends closeby (within 30 minutes) NO ONE wants to be bothered helping us out with the kids (all under the age of 12) when I go in to deliver...why? Because the kids are too busy, and wear everyone out too quick! OMG, seriously??? Right now, we're not sure at all what is gonna happen, DH says if worse comes to worse he'll just have to drop me off at the hospital (3 blocks away) and come back after-he's not really into the whole delivery thing and would prefer not to be there anyway, BUT that means I'm there on my own! If he ends up missing the birth, I am seriously going to disown every family member/friend that even thinks about showing up at my house or the hospital to see the baby for a long time!!!
Not that they're obligated to help you or anything I'd be royally POed if it came down to DH missing the birth and they would not be meeting my child for a long time.

Alycia + Tom = 2 Labor Day babies! Tommy (9/09) + Vinny (9/12)
Under construction: unexpectedly expecting in 2015!
crunchymom2b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2011, 09:08 PM   #7
CDNMommyofmany
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by crunchymom2b View Post
Not that they're obligated to help you or anything I'd be royally POed if it came down to DH missing the birth and they would not be meeting my child for a long time.
Did I mention my inlaws are part of this group!!! Makes me sick
Proud Stay-at-home-mama to 6 (including 4 preemies 29-35 weeks); who enjoys reading, homeschooling/unschooling and trying to make everyday as stress-free as possible for my 2 precious sons with Autism
Old 07-18-2011, 05:38 AM   #8
USMCgirl_05
Banned

My Mood:

Ugh, you'd think they could help you out for one freaking day!!!
USMCgirl_05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 05:49 AM   #9
CDNMommyofmany
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by USMCgirl_05 View Post
Ugh, you'd think they could help you out for one freaking day!!!
Is this directed to me??? If so, the issue is our last baby was born at 29 weeks (my water broke at 28 weeks, we dropped ONLY our 2 youngest kids off at the inlaws so DH could bring me to the hospital)...well, I ended up getting flown by air ambulance to a NICU hospital 3 hours away and the kids ended up at her house for a week, until after I gave birth and we were moved to a Ronald McDonald house-DH was staying back and forth between me and his parents this whole week! Anyway, she complained non-stop about how it was the most horrible week of her life, how exhausting they were and even let my-then 19 month old cry himself to sleep at night cause she felt he HAD to be in bed before 8pm (this was his first ever experience away from me-he was so traumatized he still is very clingy when we go to their house and he's over 3 now...By the way, she is only in her mid-50's!!! Ugh is right! She now refuses to do anything with our kids at all, won't even watch the baby for 2 hours so we could bring the other kids to see a movie a couple weeks ago...but she's also the one who will lose it if she's not the first one contacted when the baby comes so she can put on a show at the hospital-I don't think so!!!
Old 07-18-2011, 10:17 AM   #10
TwinKristi
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by CDNMommyofmany

Is this directed to me??? If so, the issue is our last baby was born at 29 weeks (my water broke at 28 weeks, we dropped ONLY our 2 youngest kids off at the inlaws so DH could bring me to the hospital)...well, I ended up getting flown by air ambulance to a NICU hospital 3 hours away and the kids ended up at her house for a week, until after I gave birth and we were moved to a Ronald McDonald house-DH was staying back and forth between me and his parents this whole week! Anyway, she complained non-stop about how it was the most horrible week of her life, how exhausting they were and even let my-then 19 month old cry himself to sleep at night cause she felt he HAD to be in bed before 8pm (this was his first ever experience away from me-he was so traumatized he still is very clingy when we go to their house and he's over 3 now...By the way, she is only in her mid-50's!!! Ugh is right! She now refuses to do anything with our kids at all, won't even watch the baby for 2 hours so we could bring the other kids to see a movie a couple weeks ago...but she's also the one who will lose it if she's not the first one contacted when the baby comes so she can put on a show at the hospital-I don't think so!!!
Oh heck no.... She would be banned from my hospital room for eternity! So sorry your poor DS had to go through that. Not cool!