Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 07-21-2011, 05:29 AM   #1
bezark
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Sudafed in the first tri?

I'm about 6 weeks right now and I've got the cold from hell.
I've been avoiding medication, even Tylenol, but I haven't left the house since Sunday and if I don't go grocery shopping today my family's probably going to start gnawing on the furniture.

Is sudafed safe right now? Is there something else I can take to turn off the spigots that are my eyes and nostrils?

Advertisement

Old 07-21-2011, 06:01 AM   #2
jcprincess.mcm
Registered Users

My Mood:
Re: Sudafed in the first tri?

you can take tylenol and my midwife's paperwork says psuedophedrine (the potent ingredient) is okay during pregnancy (which while I'll take if needed, I don't understand since you can't take it if you're breastfeeding).
jcprincess.mcm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 06:54 AM   #3
bezark
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
I just called my midwife to see what she had to say. After telling her what I had on hand she said I could take an adult dose of DS's children's Benedryl.
I pounded my 4 teaspoons while I was still on the phone with her. I'm a little floaty-headed feeling but I'm no longer trapped in endless sneezing fits with tissues jammed up my nose, so I'll call it good.
Old 07-21-2011, 01:41 PM   #4
ChelseaGirl7
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcprincess.mcm
you can take tylenol and my midwife's paperwork says psuedophedrine (the potent ingredient) is okay during pregnancy (which while I'll take if needed, I don't understand since you can't take it if you're breastfeeding).
Actually, you can take sudafed while bfing, the reason that some don't like it is because it *can* decrease your milk supply, usually this only happens though if you are taking the max dose for a few days straight.
If I remember correctly (since i'm not currently looking at the list), sudafed, benadryl, and tylenol are all category 1 drugs for pg and bfing, meaning they are the first choice. Didn't mean to thread hijack but thought anyone reading might want to know. Op, glad you are getting some relief and hope you are feeling better soon.