View Poll Results: Bucket or convertable for a newborn
Bucket infant seat 79 60.77%
Convertable 42 32.31%
Undecided 9 6.92%
Voters: 130. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 08-02-2011, 02:06 PM   #21
mrspnut82
Registered Users
seller
seller

Re: Are you planning on using a bucket or convertable?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Best Green Things View Post
This was an easy choice for us - Convertible 100%! I think if you plan to wear your baby, convertible is the way to go. If not, you will probably want a bucket.

We had one infant seat for travel on an airplane, hated it. So heavy and bulky. And a wrap or sling will keep baby much warmer than a carseat because they will be right next to you. My babies loved being worn and always slept well when we were out an about because it's like they were being held the whole time- Plus, hands free!
Ya I think this is what I'm leaning towards. If I go out with all the kids there's no way I can hold a bucket and push a double stroller. I will wear the baby and have the smaller ones in the stroller and the 5yo can hold my hand or stroller and walk. I'm sure I won't be going out often with all of them by myself anyways but I think a bucket would just be annoying even if dh was there.

I really don't understand the "keeping the baby warm" thing people say about using a bucket. Is this meaning going from car to house or destination?
If the baby is in a convertible you can put a blanket on them the same you would a bucket. Then transferring to car you would be holding them (possibly with that same blanket or in a wrap) with their coat so not sure why baby wouldn't be warm. What am I missing here?

Advertisement

mrspnut82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 02:30 PM   #22
Harmony96
Administrator
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fashionably Green Baby View Post
Here is a picture of her in it when we came home from the hospital. She weighed 7 pounds 12 ounces at discharge and was 19 inches long.
Awwww the buckle is as big as she is. We have an XTSL so it's nice to get a picture of how a newborn will fit into that ginormous seat.

We're doing a convertible this time, too. Did a bucket w/ DD and it was super convenient. Did a bucket with DS but usually left the thing in the car anyway, lol. So this time we'll just go straight into a convertible. And a wrap, of course.
Harmony96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 02:40 PM   #23
frenchyloveslarry
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I voted convertible b/c if thats what we get at our babyshower next month hoping I do that is what I will use but if I dont get it well be usind ds#2 bucket infant seat but I prefer not to. We do have our Beco carrier and we plan to wear this baby so that is why I really just prefer to skip the bucket seat all together.

Last edited by frenchyloveslarry; 08-02-2011 at 02:42 PM.
frenchyloveslarry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 02:45 PM   #24
shortdrawbryant
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

this baby will get his sisters bucket. i like the idea of moving a baby from one place to the other without waking them.
Old 08-02-2011, 02:46 PM   #25
sisu
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrspnut82 View Post

I really don't understand the "keeping the baby warm" thing people say about using a bucket. Is this meaning going from car to house or destination?
If the baby is in a convertible you can put a blanket on them the same you would a bucket. Then transferring to car you would be holding them (possibly with that same blanket or in a wrap) with their coat so not sure why baby wouldn't be warm. What am I missing here?
I don't understand how to keep a baby as warm in a convertible. I like being able to keep the baby snug in a bucket, covered with blankets to go into stores, etc. rather than exposing them to -30 or -40 weather with 30 mph winds while I take them out of a convertible and mess around with a wrap. Also, after being out and about for an hour or so, the car and convertible car seat are freezing cold, I don't want to set a newborn into a seat that's -30. For safety, we don't use coats or wraps on the baby, just blankets over them. Life would be easier if it didn't get so dang cold here, lol.

Last edited by sisu; 08-02-2011 at 02:47 PM.
sisu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 02:48 PM   #26
Dory
Registered Users
Formerly: Thing1 & Thing2
seller
seller

I'm planning to use a convertible for a February baby. I'm in sub tropical Tennessee, and it gets down to, idk, 25F here at the coldest? And honestly, by the time baby gets here I'll own a 4 year old and almost 3 year old. I doubt I'll be going anywhere alone for a while. The plan is to either get another Radian or buy my oldest a different seat and pass it on. Not exactly sure yet, but we have a while.

ETA my main reason for going this route is that I'm incredibly cheap. I want something that'll last a while. And both my toddlers were 10lbs 7ozs at birth, so I don't worry about fitting issues with the recommended convertibles.

Sigh... all this talk of cold and it's over 100 out.

Last edited by Dory; 08-02-2011 at 02:50 PM.
Dory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 02:49 PM   #27
Ellasundies
Registered Users

I probably could get a convertible since I plan on babywearing and NOT using the carry feature of a bucket (WAYYY to bulky for me give me a nice sling anyday over lugging those things around) but I think I will end up getting a bucket anyway.

This baby will be #3 for us and we need to fit 3 across my tiny Toyota matrix. I already have two radians, one FF for 5 yo DS and one RF for 2yo DD. I have DD in the middle seat since I don't think I could safely fit the radian RF anywhere else. I probably could switch the kids around and have dd move to FF at almost 3 and have 5.5 yo DS move into a booster and then put new bean in the middle RF'ing. But I would much prefer to get a bucket, use it for a year and then switch the kids around. This would enable me to keep DS in his Radian until 6.5 and DD to be RF'ing until 4.
Ellasundies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 02:54 PM   #28
Greenbabybottoms
Registered Users
seller
seller

We're doing a convertible for a few reasons. Our older 2 used a bucket seat and between the two of them I think I took the thing out of the car with them in it to transfer maybe 5 times combined. Not to mention they both outgrew it or were miserable in it by about 3 months each so we ended up using the nice expensive bucket seat for maybe 6 months combined and rarely used it as a carrier. We'll be using a wrap for the first few months then moving on to the Ergo. I cannot imagine how I would juggle carrying a bucket seat and trying to keep my other two kids (almost 5 and almost 3) from running away in the parking lot.
Old 08-02-2011, 03:03 PM   #29
FernHollow
Banned

My Mood:

I used a bucket with my last baby who was born in December. I did like being able to keep him all snuggled up in it when it was yucky weather out, but OMG that thing was heavy! I'm only 5'2" and could barely lug our Graco Safeseat around. Trying to keep hold of my toddlers hand and lug that thing around was torture. After a couple months we ended up almost never taking it out of the car. Since we are having a summer baby this time and don't have room for a bucket we decided to just go with a Radian 80SL. I actually much prefer to carry baby out to the car in a ring sling when I've got other little ones to buckle up. I use a ring sling a ton for quick carries instead of using a bucket seat, as it is easier for my back
FernHollow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 03:23 PM   #30
USMCgirl_05
Banned

My Mood:

Bucket for me 100%!! I love the convenience of it.

And yes I also wear my babies, and no they don't spend their entire infant lives in the bucket seat. I just think it's nice to have

I have a Cybex Aton.
USMCgirl_05 is offline   Reply With Quote