Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 08-09-2011, 08:06 PM   #1
uncertain
Registered Users
seller

OMG, babysitting a dog that has WORMS!!!!

Oh goodness. I'm dogsitting for the week, the dog has been here three days already, but today is the first day I actually witnessed its pooping, and its poop is full of small white WORMS!! OMG, of course I'm freaking out. About to google, but does anyone have any btdt, or any kind of advice to give me, please?!? I will go straight away to Petco and get some worm medication for both it and my own dog...but what about ME and my fetus?!!! (not to mention my other kiddos, which have been licked like crazy and had their beds slept in by our "visitor(s)". UUUUUUGGHHHH!!!!!

Advertisement

uncertain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 08:09 PM   #2
husemoller23
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: OMG, babysitting a dog that has WORMS!!!!

No advice, but it gave me the creepy crawlies to read that

Hope someone can give you some good advice!!
Old 08-09-2011, 08:09 PM   #3
MichelleSG
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Depending on what kind of worms they are they probably aren't going to be easily communicable to you or your kids. If they are flat and white, kinda like rice looking things then they are tape worms, you'd have to eat the fleas on the dog to catch those. If they are longer and look kinda like earth worms then they are round worms, you catch those by the eggs that are in the dog poop. I used to be a vet tech and was exposed to infected poo all the time when testing it. Never caught anything though because I didn't eat the fleas or the poo. Washed my hands a lot too!
Crazy semi-crunchy scientist mama to 1 DD almost 10 yrs old and DD 2 born July '11. CDing, extended vaxing, ERF, even been known to co-sleep (gasp!), and trying my best to baby wear a very persnickety diva.
MichelleSG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 08:13 PM   #4
prettynpink613
Registered Users
seller

We had this same issue before! Treated all dogs with meds from petco and that was it. No human got it. Just watch for wormies in their poop just in case and get some human tapeworm meds if there is any. Shouldn't be a big deal at all, just kinda yucky!
prettynpink613 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 09:29 PM   #5
uncertain
Registered Users
seller

Thanks for the replies!! I went to Petco and got all confused because the person helping me said definitely tapeworms, but then changed her mind, so then I didn't know what to do because then she said that the broad spectrum de-wormer wouldn't work if it was tapeworms (even though the package says it does). So, I left empty-handed, which is NOT what I wanted to do!! I'm going to call the vet in the morning and see if we can get in to see them. I have a big 'ol bag of poop that I can bring in. So much for all the plans that I had for tomorrow, ugh! Thank you so much for all the positive stories, they have sure helped to calm me down some!
uncertain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 09:32 PM   #6
MichelleSG
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Shouldn't be a difficult visit at all. They'll take a look at the poop, Dona cursory once over on the dog, then give you some pills. Super simple, shouldn't take all day!
Crazy semi-crunchy scientist mama to 1 DD almost 10 yrs old and DD 2 born July '11. CDing, extended vaxing, ERF, even been known to co-sleep (gasp!), and trying my best to baby wear a very persnickety diva.
MichelleSG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 09:33 PM   #7
prettynpink613
Registered Users
seller

I once called the vet about it and they gave me a broad spectrum worn med. It was like $17 or 2 but it knocks out anything. They didnt even care to have me bring her in.
prettynpink613 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 10:21 PM   #8
Squeaky McMurdo
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Ah worms. When hubby and I were first married, we lived on his parents' property in one of their houses. They had 12 dogs (we had two) and all of them were fond of hunting, so hunting season would bring dogs eating scraps and lots and lots of worms. Sometime coyotes would kill deer in our backyard and the dogs would find them, so that led to worms too and they would just get passed around and it was getting difficult trying to keep my dogs worm free without treating all the dogs which would be very expensive. I managed to get our vet to admit that I could give them a horse and cow wormer called fendbendazole (one of the brand names is Safe Guard) which is easily picked up at any feed or ranch supply store for $8 for a huge tube of paste. It's hard to overdose on so I never really measured it out. I would squeeze out a finger length line of the paste and stick it on their tongue. My dogs didn't mind just licking it off my finger because it's apple cinnamon flavor, but some of the others didn't like it. Safe Guard for dogs is meat flavored.

My in-laws have since passed away and my husband and I have re-homed them all, but I still keep a tube of Safe Guard around in case my dog eats something dead or is exposed to a potentially wormy dog.

I wouldn't worry about you or your kids unless you have dog-food snitchers, but your dog probably has them.

My ISO/IHA I'm looking for a Cosco Pronto cover in "Cars" preferably.

Last edited by Squeaky McMurdo; 08-11-2011 at 10:28 PM.
Squeaky McMurdo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2011, 01:02 AM   #9
eahcapemay
Registered Users
seller
seller

Do not I repeat do not eat fleas or dog poo and you will be 100% fine. Good luck at the vets tomorrow. Worms aren't any risk to you or baby but they may be a risk to your wallet. I hope the visit is cheap!
Old 08-13-2011, 01:53 AM   #10
Ellasundies
Registered Users

You should be fine giving the dogs the OTC broad spectrum dewormer.

I'm a horse person I do NOT recommend you give the dogs fenbendazole (or safeguard). You can (I believe the dosage is 1 ml per 5 lbs of dog). It's true it's hard to overdose but just giving the dog a 'finger length' without measuring, without knowing the size of the dog is asking for trouble. Since this is not your dog and you will probably only need to be dosing once, it will be SOOOOO much easier to just buy the dog stuff and give that.

Don't let the dog sleep on furniture or lick faces. Depending on the worm it can be transferred those ways but most likely you will be just fine.
Ellasundies is offline   Reply With Quote