Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 08-10-2011, 01:40 PM   #1
jessicacarol
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
VBAC vs repeat c-section risks

I have read and read and everywhere I go I get different stats. I want to beleieve that a VBAC is the best choice (safest for me and the baby) but I also am so nervious about it. Anyone have any words of wisdom?

Advertisement

Old 08-10-2011, 01:59 PM   #2
beaute_marquee
Registered Users

My Mood:
Re: VBAC vs repeat c-section risks

Your only risk with a VBAC that wouldn't already be associated with birth is a less than 1% higher chance of uterine rupture. Some would like us to believe that rupture is a death sentence for both mother and baby, but many survive unscathed.
From my own experience VBAC was the best, most healing experience I think I've ever had. I wrote both birth stories in my blog (link below in my sig), if you would like to read them.
Keep researching, and I hope you have peace with whichever decision you make.
Old 08-10-2011, 02:08 PM   #3
munchkinsmama2007
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Check out "The VBAC Companion" by Diana Korte. She's got a lot of good information. I found it in the library. You could probably find it on Amazon, too.
Brianne, married to my sweetheart Eric, mommy to Reuben(4), and expecting #2 on or around 1-9-12
munchkinsmama2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 02:14 PM   #4
TwinKristi
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I would try to find some VBAC birth stories. While c/s has it's place in the medical world, it's so overused and far more dangerous than a VBAC. Like the PP said, alot of people will tell you otherwise and the risk just isn't worth it "because you want to have a certain experience" but remember that this is YOUR birth! The experience you get out of it IS importnat! No it doesn't make you a better person or a better mother, but maybe it makes YOU a better YOU. I hope you get the birth you're hoping for!!
Old 08-10-2011, 02:39 PM   #5
Abbaloosa
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Do some research...I looked at http://givingbirthwithconfidence.org and also anything by ACOG. The way my OB explained it...risk of death is slightly higher for the baby with VBAC than RCS, but lower for the mother. Also much lower risk of all the other complications that come with c/s...hysterectomy, blood transfusion, infections, injuries, breathing problems or accidental injuries for the baby. Also..the more c/s you have, the higher your risk of placenta previa/accreta, uterine rupture, adhesions, etc. So if you want a large family, VBAC is the way to go.

I have had two c/s and am going to try for a VBA2C with this baby. I will be in the hospital, with an OB and they have the ability to do an emergency c-section 24/7. If I end up with another RCS I don't think I'd try VBAC again after 3...but after 1 I would definately go for it.
Abbaloosa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 04:33 PM   #6
songbird516
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Midwife thinking's Blog has a good post about the risks of VBAC.

There are a lot of other risks with repeat c-section that don't often get talked about it. One is that the combination of antibiotics that the mother receives + the fact that the baby's gut does not get colonized with mom's vaginal bacteria leaves them more open to digestive and immune issues in the future. Research is only really now showing how important this first dose of bacteria is to the immune system. Breastfeeding definitely helps, but vaginal birth is simply the most beneficial way for MOST babies to be born. If a serious issue came up during labor I would definitely have a c-section, but I would never personally PLAN for one.
Old 08-12-2011, 04:32 PM   #7
Saharan
Registered Users
seller
seller

I have been doing as much research as possible too since we fond out we are expecting our second. My son was a scheduled c section because he was breach and the doctors did not want to turn him. I tried all the natural things to try to turn him myself to no avail. I think that this will be our last baby and I really want to have a vbac but I hear so many stories or horrible labors that end in emergency c sections that I get scared. I know that it is really silly but I have a friend who just went through 40+ hour delivery and she was not dilating so ended up with an emergency section and she felt horrible for weeks from the strain of such a long labour and the emergency section. I know that this does not mean it will happen to me but it does make me afraid for sure.
Old 08-12-2011, 06:23 PM   #8
TwinKristi
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by songbird516
Midwife thinking's Blog has a good post about the risks of VBAC.

There are a lot of other risks with repeat c-section that don't often get talked about it. One is that the combination of antibiotics that the mother receives + the fact that the baby's gut does not get colonized with mom's vaginal bacteria leaves them more open to digestive and immune issues in the future. Research is only really now showing how important this first dose of bacteria is to the immune system. Breastfeeding definitely helps, but vaginal birth is simply the most beneficial way for MOST babies to be born. If a serious issue came up during labor I would definitely have a c-section, but I would never personally PLAN for one.
Wow, I didn't put this together but a friend (3rd c/s) of mine's baby ended up with c-diff and spent a week in the hospital. I didn't think about the effect of abx like that for babies increasing he also had wet lungs and preventative (for pneumonia) abx. Out of the handful that had a c/s in out of 30+ of us in my old DDC, she was the only one that had this problem and this was a baby after our DDC babies.

Anyway, yes there are other side effects from a RCS. My friends lower ligament was almost shredded from the things that hold you open. They didn't know but she was bleeding internally from it and they went in and fixed it after several hours, then had to go back in because her uterus had a similar problem and was, as the dr put it "shredded" and he had to an emergency hyst. 2 days PP. She was in tremendous pain after 3 surgeries in 3 days. She doesn't even remember much of the first few days and had PP-PTSD & PPD from it. No one told her there were risks involved with a RCS, that it was so much safer than a VBAC which her dr wouldn't do anyway. It was awful.
I know this is an extreme case but there really are increased risks with a RCS too that don't exist with a VBAC. Technically if you go into labor on your own before a planned c/s, your risk of rupture increases right then even if you have a RCS.
And I would think a trial of labor would really be beneficial to any VBAC mom because you never know if it will work. Why even labor at all if you have such a high chance of c/s anyway.