Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 08-11-2011, 05:03 AM   #1
jeebee
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Baby breastcrawl, can it happen if you waterbirth? How?

http://www.analyticalarmadillo.co.uk...-cause-of.html

I saw this article and have been planning a waterbirth, but now I don't know?

I labored with my two in the water mostly, both times right up until pushing stage (against hospital policy to birth in water). No issues with that, I felt fine getting out when the time came, but I would like to try a waterbirth this time. Anyhow, I did have a lot of problems BF my first, and my second was much better, she latched on right away and although I did have a bit of nipple soreness, it was nothing like the horror of my first experience (although was also tandem nursing so this may have affected things).

I have never attempted the breastcrawl, I just put my babies onto my chest and helped them latch on once they were born, but I am interested in trying it out. Has anybody done it in water, how does it work?? Or even if you have done it on land, tell me about your experience and how long etc it took them to locate the boob. Thanks!

Advertisement

Old 08-11-2011, 05:49 AM   #2
chameleon607
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Baby breastcrawl, can it happen if you waterbirth? How?

Very interesting article!
I did a waterbirth with my 4th, after hospital midwife births with my first 3- and all of my kids latched on well initially- but I brought them to my breast (wanted to hold my babies immediately), we didn't do the birthcrawl.
I'm so curious as to what other Mamas will have to say about their experiences!
Old 08-11-2011, 06:17 AM   #3
minneapolisite
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

My husband JUST asked me about this last night! Will be watching the thread for responses. So far, I think breast crawl trumps water birth for me, if I had to choose just one.
At-home mom of DAK (Oct 2011) and #2 (Oct 2014)
minneapolisite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 07:07 AM   #4
songbird516
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Interesting article for sure!

My instinct about this is that the majority of women who have waterbirths are doing it to avoid other interventions which do negatively impact breastfeeding- IV fluids, antibiotics, epidurals, and c-sections- all of which seem that they would have more of an impact than the baby's immediate instinct to latch on. If mom gets out of the water and dries off rather quickly, it seems reasonable that the baby would quickly catch on to what was happening.

I didn't have a waterbirth last time, and even with that, I don't think that my baby immediately latched on (of course, no one was helping me with that in the hospital, either). It probably took 30-45 minutes at least for us to actually initiate nursing. We'll see what happens last time. If we make it to the birth center there is a huge tub, and I might feel like pushing in it. Last time I wanted to push out of the water, but my tub at home was really small, so I couldn't push effectively in it.

I do think that birth circumstances affect breastfeeding success, but a birth with minimal interventions, water or not, seems to be the best way to go to me. If having a waterbirth means a woman doesn't have an epidural, that seems most beneficial..
Old 08-11-2011, 01:00 PM   #5
kelseyjoy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I have had a waterbirth with both of my babies. I didn't do the breastcrawl with either of them. I have heard of it, but never tried. I have always held them for a minute, gotten out of the tub, and walked to the bed and then tried to nurse. They both latched on within 10 minutes of being born and we never had any bfing issues. I was expecting to, because many many people told me how hard breastfeeding was for them, but we had no issues.

I would also love to hear stories from moms who have tried this though. It's really interesting.
kelseyjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 04:26 PM   #6
Mamatoabunch
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I have been familiar w/ breast crawl since planning my first HB w/ my third. I have had 9 waterbirths and have breastfed all 9 w/ no issues, most for several years.

Last edited by Mamatoabunch; 08-11-2011 at 05:16 PM.
Mamatoabunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 04:49 PM   #7
foxygoober
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Never heard of the breast crawl until now. My first was born in a bed, didn't nurse for little while, he latched hard, but not right. My second 2 were water births and they both latched really well. I can't remember if I waited to nurse until out of the water or not. . .I'm sure if baby was crying I would have nursed right away. I do know we were in the water for a little bit oohing and ahhinng before trying to get out.
Old 08-11-2011, 07:20 PM   #8
beckstar
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

our first twin was born in water, but it wasnt very deep. i held her on my chest/tummy and she just kind of slipped/bopped over to my breast and started nursing. it was so cool!
Old 08-11-2011, 07:44 PM   #9
Ten
Registered Users

My Mood:

I'm planning a waterbirth, although not for the purpose of avoiding interventions. I think I'd just be more comfortable in a tub.

I've heard of the breast crawl, and the article makes some interesting points - but I have to wonder if it's necessary. Yeah, might be kind of cool - and certainly no disrespect for those intending to go for it, but I don't think it's cheating the baby out of anything if you get them in the right position without making them work for it.

*we're TTC again and hoping DD1 returns to us!*
"Death can't stop True Love - it can only delay it for a while." - The Princess Bride
Ten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 09:33 AM   #10
srkobus
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G3K87...4C9DBDFFC4AAAC

a video on youtube showing the breastcrawl, so beautiful!!! gets to the point at about 3 mins in. i don't water birth so will definately be trying this with lo!