Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 08-13-2011, 11:06 PM   #1
lindsmig
Registered Users
seller

guessing the sex - "MAYBE IT'S A GIRL?!" shower theme??

hey all!

i am pregnant with my 3rd baby, and as with the 2nd we are not finding out the sex. =) so fun. i've guessed the sex with both my #1 and #2... and was totally correct. seeing how they were both boys, born 23 months a part i am totally set for another boy - HOWEVER my husband and i are both feeling pretty confident that #3 is a GIRL!!! i will be thrilled no matter, junk or none, but we both think it's pink and are giddy at the thought.

MY QUESTION:
i have friends that want to throw me a shower. is it entirely ludicrous for the theme to be a "maybe it's a girl" or "what if it's a girl" shower? i would love to get the ladies in my life together to make hair bows and other little girly accessories that i simply don't have bc it's all boys in my house. and what would be the best way to explain this shower theme to my guests? any cute or fun ideas??

((if #3 is a boy, i plan on trying again for a girl. if we never are successful at getting a girl, i can donate said projects or regift anything that might not work for a boy. just in case you were wondering.))

Advertisement

mama to RIOTT - almost 4, BECKHAM - almost 2, and preggers with #3 due NOV 11

www.abort73.com
lindsmig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011, 12:07 AM   #2
BooneNicuMama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: guessing the sex - "MAYBE IT'S A GIRL?!" shower theme??

I'd call it the giant guess game and say your guessing pink Simple and not too complex.

Angel baby May 2011, Dec 25th 2011, and June 2015 . Never held, always loved
BooneNicuMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011, 06:24 AM   #3
foxygoober
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I was sure this one would be a girl- US says it is. I'm still in denial and keep calling it, it. Drives hubby nuts and he keeps asking why I wont say she. . .anyhow

If you want a bow making party- which would be awesome- are you wanting the guests to bring supplies? Or will you? I've found out that stuff adds up quick!! I would donate to low income schools or charities if you wind up not being able to use them. Those little girls would love them!

I think an "It could be a girl" invite would be humorous. On the inside ask guests to include gift receipts if they wish to purchase anything. I can just imagine the cake for the shower . . ."It could be a girl. . .or a boy"
Old 08-14-2011, 06:48 AM   #4
nrsenadenos
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I'm thinking if you are going with a "could be" shower it would also make sense to do some "could be a boy" crafts as well? Or something gender neutral...like at one shower I went to we decorated onesies, maybe you could embellish those and have the guests make their own guesses...

I would just be concerned that doing an all pink shower when you don't know for sure would be setting yourself up for disappointment. Maybe save the pink crafts for a meet the baby "it's a girl" party?
And someone NEW coming in October! Plus 2 angels, 8 chickies, 2 ducklings, and a wolfdog.
nrsenadenos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011, 08:35 AM   #5
hilaryisinked
Spring Into a New Avi 2015 Winner
sitesupporter
seller
seller

I'm assuming you have all kinds of boy stuff already if it's a boy, right? This isn't any different than people registering for both boy and girl things and returning one gender's stuff after they have the baby.
Old 08-14-2011, 09:19 AM   #6
lindsmig
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by hilaryisinked View Post
I'm assuming you have all kinds of boy stuff already if it's a boy, right? This isn't any different than people registering for both boy and girl things and returning one gender's stuff after they have the baby.
exactly mama! thanks for that encouragement. i've already had several people tell me "you're brave!" or stating and restating "you want ALL girl stuff, *even though* you don't know what you're having!?"

yes. i know.

one of my boys is october, the other is november and this baby is due in november. so to say that i am prepared for another boy is an understatement. LOL!!
mama to RIOTT - almost 4, BECKHAM - almost 2, and preggers with #3 due NOV 11

www.abort73.com
lindsmig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011, 12:49 PM   #7
tygr2410
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

i might be the only one, but from a guest perspective, i think it's silly if you expect people to bring gifts (b/c that's generally what showers are for, to "shower" with gifts)

If i was invited, i wouldn't bring anything gender specific if i even came, which i think is the idea of people to bring if it's a "maybe it's a girl" shower. I would be put off by the idea that you want people to bring girly items, fully knowing that you have a 50% chance of returning something i took the time to pick out simply b/c you "have a feeling" it's a girl...i know u/s can be wrong...but they are right SO MANY more times than "feelings" of one gender or another..I hope that makes sense, no offense intended, just looking at it from a guest prospective.

It'd be like having a "We're getting a new pet..but don't know if it's a dog or a cat but we're assuming cat" party...not quite the same, but same concept

ETA- i reread, are you just wanting to make crafts and put "no gifts" on the invite? If so, then maybe it's ok. Explain that if it's not a girl you'll save and/or donate to a cause

Last edited by tygr2410; 08-14-2011 at 12:51 PM.
tygr2410 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011, 12:54 PM   #8
keen1981
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by tygr2410
i might be the only one, but from a guest perspective, i think it's silly if you expect people to bring gifts (b/c that's generally what showers are for, to "shower" with gifts)

If i was invited, i wouldn't bring anything gender specific if i even came, which i think is the idea of people to bring if it's a "maybe it's a girl" shower. I would be put off by the idea that you want people to bring girly items, fully knowing that you have a 50% chance of returning something i took the time to pick out simply b/c you "have a feeling" it's a girl...i know u/s can be wrong...but they are right SO MANY more times than "feelings" of one gender or another..I hope that makes sense, no offense intended, just looking at it from a guest prospective.

It'd be like having a "We're getting a new pet..but don't know if it's a dog or a cat but we're assuming cat" party...not quite the same, but same concept

ETA- i reread, are you just wanting to make crafts and put "no gifts" on the invite? If so, then maybe it's ok. Explain that if it's not a girl you'll save and/or donate to a cause
I kinda agree. And then IF u do have a boy, u'll explain that u had a party for a girl? Idk. I think you should have a party, for sure! Gender neutral items are appropriate or put word out thru ur family that u don't know the sex, so gc's are welcomed (although I find this rude... in a way, to ask for GC's.., but I realize many people do it, so it could just be me) I wouldn't have a sex themed party at all.
Old 08-14-2011, 01:05 PM   #9
momof3boys1girl
No Longer Here

My Mood:

I def would not do an all girl party. I think later on when the child is older it could be disappointing if it is a boy to look back at. I would def do both boy and girl projects and let the guests choose. OR you could do a blessing party after the baby is born and let people bring stuff then. I know a TON of moms that for go showers and do blessing parties. Takes the guessing out for sure and then they can also see the baby.
momof3boys1girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011, 01:10 PM   #10
JeDeeLenae
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
As a guest, I'd just give a card and $$ or a GC. Gut feelings are great and all, but I wouldn't search for the perfect gift based on that.

I would incorporate both boy and girl crafts, do half the room blue, half pink. Have the cake pink and blue.

Last edited by JeDeeLenae; 08-14-2011 at 01:12 PM.
JeDeeLenae is offline   Reply With Quote