Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 08-14-2011, 01:14 PM   #11
HeatherM0529
Registered Users
seller
seller

Re: guessing the sex - "MAYBE IT'S A GIRL?!" shower theme??

I think it's kind of a cute idea, but I say you just have a Meet the Baby party instead!!
We're going to, gifts are NOT necessary for ours, but they could be for yours.
OR just have a guessing baby shower and have some guests make both things or buy you something one of each and include a gift receipt. That could be cute too.
If they want to buy bibs, buy boy and girl. If they want toys, boy and girl etc. You may not get too many bigger things that way, but you might with them knowing that you can then exchange it for store credit.

I think it's cute though. Maybe have a bow making station, onesie decorating station, and maybe bib decorating station. Where they can put their own stuff on, with stencils and fabric paint etc. I think it would be cute!

Advertisement

HeatherM0529 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011, 01:17 PM   #12
lindsmig
Registered Users
seller

whoa whoa friends. so hostile.

as already stated, i need nothing for another boy. also as stated, if we never end up with a girl, i will donate or regift girl items.

b/c this is my 3rd child, i also intend to make sure "no gifts necessary" is on the invite. if someone feels they have to bring something and don't want to wager on pink, they can bring diapers. win/win.

but what, 20-30 years ago and beyond... people couldn't find out what they were having. and back then there weren't many things that were gender neutral, so they got pink AND blue and returned half of it, if they could. what a drag.

i see nothing wrong with getting the ladies in my life together and celebrating the idea of a girl. if it's a boy, the shower will be quickly forgotten, but the time with those ladies will be cherished.

i posted this thread for ideas and brain-storming, not to be bashed by other people that think it's a bad idea.
mama to RIOTT - almost 4, BECKHAM - almost 2, and preggers with #3 due NOV 11

www.abort73.com
lindsmig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011, 01:34 PM   #13
keen1981
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by lindsmig
whoa whoa friends. so hostile.

as already stated, i need nothing for another boy. also as stated, if we never end up with a girl, i will donate or regift girl items.

b/c this is my 3rd child, i also intend to make sure "no gifts necessary" is on the invite. if someone feels they have to bring something and don't want to wager on pink, they can bring diapers. win/win.

but what, 20-30 years ago and beyond... people couldn't find out what they were having. and back then there weren't many things that were gender neutral, so they got pink AND blue and returned half of it, if they could. what a drag.

i see nothing wrong with getting the ladies in my life together and celebrating the idea of a girl. if it's a boy, the shower will be quickly forgotten, but the time with those ladies will be cherished.

i posted this thread for ideas and brain-storming, not to be bashed by other people that think it's a bad idea.
Sorry, but u DID ask if it was a crazy idea?? I don't think anyone bashed you??! Sorry if u felt that way. Every child should be celebrated but back in the day, as u mentioned, people got one shower, not one for every child. And I do believe most gifts were gender neutral. In fact, when did showers even really start anyways? Was it even that long ago? Idk if my mom had a shower for my older sister? Idk. Again, sorry. If u reread ur post, u'll see that u did ask for an opinion, if if u didn't intend to. Hugs.
Old 08-14-2011, 01:59 PM   #14
lindsmig
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by keen1981 View Post
Sorry, but u DID ask if it was a crazy idea?? I don't think anyone bashed you??! Sorry if u felt that way. Every child should be celebrated but back in the day, as u mentioned, people got one shower, not one for every child. And I do believe most gifts were gender neutral. In fact, when did showers even really start anyways? Was it even that long ago? Idk if my mom had a shower for my older sister? Idk. Again, sorry. If u reread ur post, u'll see that u did ask for an opinion, if if u didn't intend to. Hugs.
you're right mama. i did ask if it was ludicrous. i just expected more ideas and less opinions, i guess. i'm used to craft bloggers and pinterest! lol!
mama to RIOTT - almost 4, BECKHAM - almost 2, and preggers with #3 due NOV 11

www.abort73.com
lindsmig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011, 02:08 PM   #15
foxygoober
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I don't think people should be offended if they get a something girly when they know it's your haunch. . .even ultra sounds aren't always right. I always wind up returning half of what I am gifted. People tend to not look at registries or get something they think you'll need, when you already have one, or have no intention of needing it. . .
Showers have been around for awhile- like birthday parties, not everyone has one- it's a celebration- NOT a mandatory bring a gift. Which OP already said that the invite will state that gifts are not necessary.
Old 08-14-2011, 02:32 PM   #16
BooneNicuMama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I personally think just having little crafts and spending time together would be fine mama! the worst thing that could come of it would be giving the items to cousins, nieces, nephews, friend's children, ect. As long as you don't require gifts and have more the intent of it being a celebration and craft party, what is the harm? Your celebrating the child either way. As long as your not getting your hopes up and just enjoying yourself, no harm no foul.

Not only that, but I didn't read where you said you were done with the birth of #3? That being the case that you might have a 4th ( Or fifth, sixth, and possibly seventh if your in my shoes ) then I see no harm in it. After all, you could always say something like ' no gifts please' or ' in lue of gifts please purchase child friendly books' ect, to help build baby's library. Baby and children's books are gender neutral!! Not to mention, kids always like being read to!! Just ideas mama!

Abby (11) Hailey (9) Katlyn (6) Savanna (2) Grace (1) Angel baby May 2011, and Angel Baby Dec 25th 2011. & ANNABELLE Oct. 17th 2012!!!
BooneNicuMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011, 05:41 PM   #17
nrsenadenos
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Well since you are looking for party ideas...Maybe you could focus some of the games around old wive's tales about gender? Like match the tale to the gender or have your guests guess what you are having? Serve snacks that are associated with either gender - like what is it, sweet for a girl and salty for a boy? Maybe decorate with pink and blue question marks? Have guests take that online pregnancy test (I can't remember the link, but the one that will tell you that you are having Michael Jackson's baby girl and she will be 10 pounds or whatever?) and print up the certificates and put them in cute frames for favors? If you are having the shower closer to your due date, maybe have a prize (to be awarded later) for the person who gets the most facts right - gender, birth date, approximate size, etc.

I think the idea of having a guessing game theme would be fun, but like others mentioned and I said before it would seem a little strange to me to have a shower themed towards one gender when you don't really know.
And someone NEW coming in October! Plus 2 angels, 8 chickies, 2 ducklings, and a wolfdog.
nrsenadenos is offline   Reply With Quote