Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 08-22-2011, 06:07 PM   #1
Payten&EmmersynsMommy
Registered Users
seller

Ounces?

So how many ounces of breastmilk should a 2month old take from a bottle? When I measure my dd from the breast on the scale it says 6 oz, but the most she'll take from a bottle when my dh or smil feed her is 3oz. Is that normsl. My mil was telling me that "who's pulling your leg, you cant measure what a breastfed baby eats"

Advertisement

Payten&EmmersynsMommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 06:12 PM   #2
sillymama
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
I think 3 to 5 ounces is normal. My almost 5 month old is a chunk and rarely takes more than4 or 5 ounces from a bottle. I don't think he eats as much from a bottle as when he nurses.
sillymama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 06:18 PM   #3
carolineb
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Maybe my LO was super hungry but I fixed a 4oz bottle and he sucked it dry and was upset when it was done. He rarely gets a bottle though.

ETA: the bottle was ebm.

Last edited by carolineb; 08-22-2011 at 06:43 PM.
carolineb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 06:22 PM   #4
Kätzchen
Registered Users
seller

Re: Ounces?

My older daughter never took more than 3-4oz ebm from a bottle even at a year plus! I'd say 2-3oz was average around that age, but, some like more, some like less. My no-bottle-baby nurses a ton and when weighted gets 4-5oz in ten min
Old 08-22-2011, 06:23 PM   #5
Payten&EmmersynsMommy
Registered Users
seller

Ya my lo rarely gets a bottle too. It was her first time she was with someone other than me or hubby. Thought I'd check
Payten&EmmersynsMommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 06:24 PM   #6
ThreadsThatBind
Registered Users
Formerly: Lucy'sMommy
seller
seller

My Mood:

Dd1 took 3 ounces anytime we gave her a bottle (regularly, I worked full time) from birth to 11 months. Dd2 hasn't taken a bottle regularly enough to know. But she's had anywhere from 2-3 ounces and been satisfied even to go to sleep for the night.
Old 08-22-2011, 06:25 PM   #7
cbreeding
Registered Users

Both my girls would take less from the bottle than what I pumped for them while away. I was a really productive pumper though. Generally 3-4oz was the max they would eat, but usually it was 2-3oz.
cbreeding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 06:39 PM   #8
Crunchymomtoalex
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Alex would take 3-4oz at 2 months. He would suck a bottle dry if I gave him some pumped milk but our pedi told me that he sucked it down so fast because he didn't have to 'work' as hard for it. He also would cry afterwards and it was because he drank it so quick that he didn't realize he was actually full.

I survived HG for my little boy! I'm mommy strong!
Crunchymomtoalex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 08:12 AM   #9
colin-mylilguy
Registered Users
seller

Clearly, every baby is different, but I think its normal for a EBF baby to take less from a bottle. They tend to prefer mom. (Unless the nipple flow is super fast, then they make take more simply because it comes so fast at them they have little time to decide they are full)

I don't know what type of scale you are using, but the hospital grade scale I use at a BF support group does show, to as small as 5 grams, what baby is taking in. My LO, at 8 mo, takes on average 1.5 oz, never more than 2.5 oz from the breast. He nurses frequently, though. Probably every 1.5 hours, if I had to guess. Sometimes more frequently, sometimes he goes a little longer. He goes about 3-4 hours at night between feedings. Oh, and I have no idea why he takes so little because I have oversupply, OALD and I've been pumping/donating milk since he was born. There is definitely PLENTY-O-MILK in there, he just only wants what he wants, when he wants it. He ends up taking just under 27 oz per day, on average, so he's well fed. lol He is a porker, at 19 lbs, but you'd never know it by the small amounts he eats at one sitting.

I've been told by LC's that this is normal, though. I think lots of things are "normal" for BF babies, as long as they are growing and healthy and seem satisfied.

Last edited by colin-mylilguy; 08-23-2011 at 08:15 AM.
colin-mylilguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 10:21 PM   #10
NikkiGig
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by colin-mylilguy
Clearly, every baby is different, but I think its normal for a EBF baby to take less from a bottle. They tend to prefer mom. (Unless the nipple flow is super fast, then they make take more simply because it comes so fast at them they have little time to decide they are full)

I don't know what type of scale you are using, but the hospital grade scale I use at a BF support group does show, to as small as 5 grams, what baby is taking in. My LO, at 8 mo, takes on average 1.5 oz, never more than 2.5 oz from the breast. He nurses frequently, though. Probably every 1.5 hours, if I had to guess. Sometimes more frequently, sometimes he goes a little longer. He goes about 3-4 hours at night between feedings. Oh, and I have no idea why he takes so little because I have oversupply, OALD and I've been pumping/donating milk since he was born. There is definitely PLENTY-O-MILK in there, he just only wants what he wants, when he wants it. He ends up taking just under 27 oz per day, on average, so he's well fed. lol He is a porker, at 19 lbs, but you'd never know it by the small amounts he eats at one sitting.

I've been told by LC's that this is normal, though. I think lots of things are "normal" for BF babies, as long as they are growing and healthy and seem satisfied.
Thanks for this reply. It totally makes me feel better. I weigh DD at a BF support group too and she takes 2 oz on average. All the other moms say their baby takes 4 - 5 oz so here I think she isn't getting enough but her schedule is JUST like your DSs so I feel better now
& Finnley Evan 2013 [2VBA2C]
NikkiGig is offline   Reply With Quote