Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 09-13-2011, 12:16 AM   #1
lovebeingamommy123
Registered Users
seller

Exclamation im breastfeeding for the first time and.....

i love it! everything about it is amazing, but im using a nipple shield ( i have flat nipples) and my nipples are continuously getting more, and more sore each time she nurses. they are bleeding and cracked, and its soo painful for like the first 5 minutes i can barely stand it! im using lanolin on them, but what else can i do? PLEASE HELP ME BE SUCCESSFUL AT THIS!!!

Advertisement

Old 09-13-2011, 12:40 AM   #2
Hillargh
Banned

My Mood:
If they're bleeding and cracked, there is a deeper issue mama Have you spoken with an LLL group? The hospital or any other lactation consultant? It may be a bad latch. But definitely seek someone out. They'll be sore in the beginning, but bleeding/cracking means something is off.

ETA: who suggested a nipple shield? I have flat nipples, and one is inverted even, and while it took effort, DS did latch on. You may not even need one with the right techniques and effort.

Sent from my myTouch 3G Slide using DS Forum

Last edited by Hillargh; 09-13-2011 at 12:41 AM.
Hillargh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 01:08 AM   #3
OnAnnaTime
Registered Users

Are you allergic to lanolin, maybe? My BFF did not realize she was until after she had used it a while.
Old 09-13-2011, 01:27 AM   #4
veveland
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
I would second having an LC check baby's latch. Also, you can wear breast shells between feedings. That will help them air out and heal.
Old 09-13-2011, 03:11 AM   #5
titania
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Contact an LLL leader. Your nipples shouldn't crack and bleed- it means something is wrong- most likely just a position issue. Fixable for sure. Congrats on your baby!
Old 09-13-2011, 05:35 AM   #6
jcalumna
Registered Users
seller
seller

Re: im breastfeeding for the first time and.....

I also had to use a nipple shield on one breast in the beginning, but after a week or so no longer needed the shield. The best advice is keep with it. It's very hard in the beginning to breastfeed as a new mommy, but on down the line you & baby will get in sync & the days of long feedings & breast pads will be over.

What helped me was seeing the lactation consultant at the hospital. As weird as it was, she watched me nurse my baby and helped me correct a latch issue.
Old 09-13-2011, 05:47 AM   #7
veveland
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
I just wanted to add that some cracking/bleeding can be normal the first baby you nurse as your nipples are sensitive. But, it shouldn't be severe or last a long time.

FWIW, this is my third EBF baby, and even after two solid weeks, it still takes me 10+ tries sometimes to latch her correctly. You should feel a difference when you get a correct latch.
Old 09-13-2011, 07:10 AM   #8
sasra_nu
Registered Users
seller

Some cracking and bleeding can be normal, but it is a good idea to consult a lactation consultant (if you happen to get WIC, they might have them for free) or call LLL just to be sure. I was doing everything right with my DD, latch was correct and all, but I still had cracking, which was so painful I would just sob when DH brought her to me to nurse.

I am not sure how old your LO is, but it stopped hurting for me when she was about 2 weeks old, and that was the only BF problem we ever had. We went on to nurse for close to 3 years.

Best of luck! I know how hard it can be at the beginning, but it is worth it.
sasra_nu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 07:30 AM   #9
danielle
Registered Users
Formerly: d*****
seller
seller

My Mood:

I have flat/inverted and you wont need the shields for long. A few days maybe beyond that first tough week. Consulting with a Lactation pro is an amazing experience that I highly recommend. With my second child I was a bit prideful (after all, I had nursed my daughter for three years) but I finally had a phone consult and she saved me when my son just started to refuse to latch four days beyond birth. These women know so much!
Old 09-13-2011, 07:56 AM   #10
Pampered Mama
Registered Users
Formerly: JASMommy
seller
seller

My Mood:

I agree with the others, definitely sounds like a latch/positioning issue. Have you tried without the shield? Make sure baby's mouth is open really wide, and get as much of the areola in there as you can- make sure baby's tongue is out and over lower jaw/lip.

I would for sure see if you can get ahold of a LC- a good one can be great help.

In the meantime, in between feedings, squeeze out several drops of BM and gently rub it on you your nipples, and let them air dry. BM is a great healer! works great on cuts, scrapes, and especially gunky baby eyes! Try to go topless for awhile each day, giving your nipples a break from the friction of a bra.

Pampered Mama is offline   Reply With Quote