Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 09-13-2011, 08:48 AM   #11
mpfanny
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by OnAnnaTime
Are you allergic to lanolin, maybe? My BFF did not realize she was until after she had used it a while.
This for me. Try coconut oil.

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum

Advertisement

mpfanny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 09:13 AM   #12
lovebeingamommy123
Registered Users
seller

Re: im breastfeeding for the first time and.....

thanks ladies! i saw a lc at the hospital (she gave me the shield) she said she was latching right, but im gonna ask the lll. its only painful for the first few min then the pain goes away. does that mean its wrong at first, then right?
Old 09-13-2011, 10:47 AM   #13
veveland
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovebeingamommy123
thanks ladies! i saw a lc at the hospital (she gave me the shield) she said she was latching right, but im gonna ask the lll. its only painful for the first few min then the pain goes away. does that mean its wrong at first, then right?
Soundl like baby is squeezing her jaw at first and then relaxing. My baby does this once in a while when I have a really fast letdown.
Old 09-13-2011, 12:56 PM   #14
teacherpippi
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovebeingamommy123 View Post
Can you tell if the latch is painful or if your letdown is painful? With my youngest, letdown was SO painful at first!
teacherpippi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 01:56 PM   #15
veveland
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by teacherpippi

Can you tell if the latch is painful or if your letdown is painful? With my youngest, letdown was SO painful at first!
You know, that's a good point. Sometimes it is hard (especially for a new BFing mom) to tell what is what.

OP...is it a burning or aching pain? If so, that might be your letdown. You might try pumping once or twice so you can get an idea of what your body is doing. If it is a sharp, sudden pain, that's probably a bad latch.
Old 09-13-2011, 02:46 PM   #16
lovebeingamommy123
Registered Users
seller

its like a mixture of burning and intense soreness. and after shes been eating for a min it stops hurting so bad. i tried today to latch without the guard, but she wont do it. after shes done and i take the guard off, my nipples burn with the air hitting it.... normal? ive only been bf for 5 days...
Old 09-13-2011, 03:08 PM   #17
veveland
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovebeingamommy123
its like a mixture of burning and intense soreness. and after shes been eating for a min it stops hurting so bad. i tried today to latch without the guard, but she wont do it. after shes done and i take the guard off, my nipples burn with the air hitting it.... normal? ive only been bf for 5 days...

That all sounds normal to me. The burning is probably your letdown. The soreness and burning after unlatching is pretty typical (in my experience) for the first couple of weeks. You may even be tender to the touch (bra rubbing, shower, etc...) for a couple of weeks. That does get better though! Lots of lanolin, air time, and even the Hydrogel pads can help soothe that for now.

Those first couple weeks are tough...I have to curl my toes and bite my lip when she first latches, but all that will get better and go away once your body adjusts!
Old 09-13-2011, 03:13 PM   #18
lovebeingamommy123
Registered Users
seller

thats good to know! its sorer and sorer everytime but i keep thinking that maybe its just worse before it gets better and soon it wont be bad at all! lol. i sure hope so at least!
Old 09-13-2011, 11:03 PM   #19
cdwelton
Registered Users
seller

DD had a hard time latching when I was engorged and it caused my nipples to crack and bleed. I finally figured it out and iced between feedings and we were 100 percent better in 24 hours! She also had bad nipple confusion and would give me scabs after she had a binky or a bottle.

Just a few tips, maybe it will help
Old 09-17-2011, 02:43 PM   #20
Isaac2009
Registered Users

My Mood:

This is a great thread! I am having the same problems and also have flat nipples the info being posted about that is helping me. I will start my own thread so I dont hi-jack this one
HUGS mama and best of luck! I know what you are going through!