Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 09-14-2011, 01:17 PM   #1
lj2blessed
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Increasing supply on one side? Can it be done?

Hey - this is my 2nd time around (nursed DD for 24 months) and like last time, my right is definitely the better producer (I call it my "power boob"). In a typical 20 min. pump session I net around 4 oz on the right and about 1.5 oz on the left.

Is there anything I can do to increase the supply on my left side? It wasn't stimulated any less in the beginning, it was actually stimulated MORE because I was babying the right due to some nipple damage (had to correct latch).

I don't think it does - but does this mean that when DS nurses on the left he's not getting as much as he would on the right?

HELP!

Advertisement

lj2blessed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 01:24 PM   #2
TryingHard
Registered Users
seller

I have the same problem. I was told to just give the smaller side first so the supply will increase to the max possible. It's normal to have one smaller side but if it is significantly smaller just keep pumping and feeding to keep the system running.
Keep in mind that you are not alone and you are not weird.
Old 09-14-2011, 01:31 PM   #3
TheAster
Registered Users

Re: Increasing supply on one side? Can it be done?

I'm not an expert, but in my experience (I have one son...3 months old), each side replaces what was removed. So if I'm engorged and pump everything out, I get close to engorged within 3 hours. I wonder if you pump the small side completely out every time, and don't pump (or breastfeed) the other side out completely...maybe then they'd be a bit more even. However, I agree with the previous post that everyone is probably uneven. I get 4 oz on one side and 3 oz on the other, so mine is currently just a bit different. Good luck!
TheAster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 01:59 PM   #4
iexplode321
Registered Users

My Mood:

I know that my one side produces about half as much as the other side. I always start nursing on the smaller side. My pedi. said that I should try to stimulate the side that produces less every 2 hours during the day. But since DS1 is 23 months and DS2 is 8 wks, I just didn't/don't have time to be pumping that much. I'm just sticking to starting on the smaller one first. I think pretty much everyone has one that produces more.
iexplode321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 02:04 PM   #5
TryingHard
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by iexplode321
I know that my one side produces about half as much as the other side. I always start nursing on the smaller side. My pedi. said that I should try to stimulate the side that produces less every 2 hours during the day. But since DS1 is 23 months and DS2 is 8 wks, I just didn't/don't have time to be pumping that much. I'm just sticking to starting on the smaller one first. I think pretty much everyone has one that produces more.
Yes and don't stress over it too much.
Enjoy your kids and have an easy breastfeeding journey!
Old 09-14-2011, 03:03 PM   #6
willownz
Registered Users

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MamaKikow View Post
Yes and don't stress over it too much.
Enjoy your kids and have an easy breastfeeding journey!
Yep that. But you know you can just feed form one side, lots of women do and do just fine. I am a single sided breastfeeder. I ebfed for 6 months just using one side and I am still feeding her now at 16 months from that side. Breastfeeding is a supply and demand process. The more you feed from it the more that gets made.
Old 09-14-2011, 03:05 PM   #7
BottomOfMyHearts
Registered Users
Formerly: NewFoundFaith
seller

My Mood:

I have had the same problems in the past. This time it's not as bad but I do offer the smaller one first each time so it gets a bigger work out. Even though my DD's hate it.

New Contest coming Soon!Please visit my Facebook store! <--Click
BottomOfMyHearts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 03:12 PM   #8
TryingHard
Registered Users
seller

Feeding from one side only can cause problems in the long run. I know it's controversial but I think people doing it or considering it should do some research.. (Just my 2 cents
Old 09-14-2011, 04:48 PM   #9
VeganCupcake
Registered Users
seller
seller

I have a "Robo-boob" that produces a lot more than the other side (at least when I pump--who knows what baby and toddler extract). I don't really worry about it too much. Most women have some variance like that and it doesn't seem to cause any problems for babies, IME.
Old 09-14-2011, 06:38 PM   #10
Pampered Mama
Registered Users
Formerly: JASMommy
seller
seller

My Mood:

I'm a one sided nurser as well- my right is literally a cup size smaller than the left- and produces almost nothing- it doesn't get engorged, even when the other side did. I successfully nursed DS almost 3 years. Even as a newborn, after trying that side a few times, he would refuse that one- once he could talk, if I offered it, he would tell me no- that one's broken. Hi older sister was that same, with the same side.

Pampered Mama is offline   Reply With Quote