Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 09-14-2011, 07:01 PM   #11
willownz
Registered Users

My Mood:
Re: Increasing supply on one side? Can it be done?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MamaKikow View Post
Feeding from one side only can cause problems in the long run. I know it's controversial but I think people doing it or considering it should do some research.. (Just my 2 cents
I have scarring in my left breast from mastitis gone bad that turned into an abcess and bacterial spetacemia. I nearly died. The ducts are scarred and blocked and they don't produce much milk at all. So I have fed exclusively from my right from about 2 months PP. It has worked for me for two babies and I have no problems.
They go back to a similar size after weaning, my kids have had no problem with foremilk/hindmilk imbalance so I don't see what the problem would be.

Advertisement

Old 09-14-2011, 07:03 PM   #12
willownz
Registered Users

My Mood:

Also it was a Lactation Consultant and LL leader that advised me to do one sided breastfeeding. My midwife (who has breastfed five of her own) thinks it's great and she has known many one sided BF'ers as well over the years for many many reasons.
Old 09-14-2011, 07:05 PM   #13
willownz
Registered Users

My Mood:

From Kelly Mom
"If all else fails, one-sided nursing is very possible as long as your baby is allowed to
nurse without restriction. The side that you are not nursing on, once allowed to "dry up," will be smaller than the other side. This will result in some degree of lopsidedness (though it may not be obvious), but this will remedy itself once weaning occurs."
I bf on demand and still do, again I have had no problems.
Old 09-14-2011, 08:27 PM   #14
PerfectFifth
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

At a recent LLL meeting I attended, the leader said to a roomful of women, "Raise your hand if both your breasts produce the same amount of milk." Not a single hand went up in the room. It is completely normal to have one power boob! For me, one side definitely produces more than the other, so I try to nurse just a little more often (and longer) on the side that doesn't produce as much, just to keep the supply going. Just wanted to share my experiences so you don't have to feel like you HAVE to do one-sided nursing!
Old 09-14-2011, 10:35 PM   #15
A&M'smommy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Im the same way. I usually offer my left first. And sometimes I pump it longer if I'm pumping. I actually wonder though if its because it doesnt have a let down as easy. Because after pumping sometimes it doesn't feel as empty (squishy) as the right (which is my better side.) Anywho sorry I got off topic. I think it's normal...
A&M'smommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 11:00 PM   #16
Sherrie87
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

WIth both my boys, my first i BFed till he was 7 mths old. i was 16 and going to highschool, and pumping during class...i just wasn't able to keep up enough milk...but his fav boob was my right boob...giggle and the same with my other son but it was the left..lol, i stoped BFing him the month i got prego * 3 months before his 3rd birthday* ...of course as soon as i stop BFing i get prego..giggle

but i always have the "fav" boob, one is always better than the other..lol

My friend from school, only has one functioning boob, she wasn't born with the second, and had a implant done about 13, and has to buy specail bras so one is padded way more than the other, the full boob feeds BOTH of her kids, she tandem nurses her 2 yr old daughter, i gues she is about 3 now, and her son is about 1...so it can all be done with one boob..giggle
Wife to Joey, 1-12-07 Mother to six , Britney 10/13/00, Jared 05/27/03, Hunter 05/10/04, Kimbery 10/26/06,Kole 09/05/08, Alaina 03/20/12 I CD of corse..:P, co-sleep, BFing,non-circumcising, baby wearing, pretty crunchy..:P Fan Page Come "like" Me.. My IHA/ISO I LOVE to trade.. Blog post of some stuff I can make you!..:P
Sherrie87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 11:42 PM   #17
Willum'smom
Registered Users
seller

I had some lopsided production for a while and then I started to begin each nursing on the lower producing side. Now the lower producer is the bigger producer, oh well....I tried, at least they don't look lopsided. I also read somewhere that the baby can have a preference (especially if the flow is heavier on one side) and if he has a preference he will remove more milk from that side and you can get lopsided production as a result.
Old 09-15-2011, 09:30 AM   #18
cdwelton
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by A&M'smommy View Post
Im the same way. I usually offer my left first. And sometimes I pump it longer if I'm pumping. I actually wonder though if its because it doesnt have a let down as easy. Because after pumping sometimes it doesn't feel as empty (squishy) as the right (which is my better side.) Anywho sorry I got off topic. I think it's normal...

I feed on one side per feeding. With the pump it varies but I get about 3 oz on my right and 1.5-2 on my left every morning. BUT she has fallen asleep while eating on my left and slept 10 hours at night... so I just think that DD is better at getting my let-down than the pump is.
Old 09-15-2011, 10:30 AM   #19
lj2blessed
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

So odd...the two times I've pumped since posting this I've gotten an increase on the left side. Still not equal or greater than the right, but it's definitely catching up. Maybe it's just getting used to pumping (just returned to work Monday - pumped very sporadically while I was at home)

Thanks for all the comments though! I had no idea that some moms feed one side only, or that they could have a breast that doesn't produce at all
lj2blessed is offline   Reply With Quote