Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 09-15-2011, 01:11 PM   #1
MamaLump
Registered Users
seller

Having trouble NIP

Not because I'm uncomfortable with it, but my DS just won't do it. He cries and looks around. With a cover, without a cover, doesn't matter. We've has some success in the car, but any place that isn't completely familiar he flips out. He's only 4 months and still feeding every 2 hrs. This is really cramping my ability to get out of the house. I might go insane! I have pumped and taken a bottle with me, and that works (probably because he can look around) but I'm worried about that hurting my supply if I do that too often. Any advice?

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum, so please excuse typos!

Advertisement

MamaLump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2011, 02:00 PM   #2
darbycrash
Registered Users
seller

Re: Having trouble NIP

Have you tried talking or singing to him while you nurse? Sometimes that can help a baby focus on you and the job at hand instead of taking everything in.
darbycrash is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2011, 02:06 PM   #3
Connor
Registered Users
seller

Have you tried nursing in a carrier? It sounds like a common age where babies start being more interested in the world around them.
Old 09-15-2011, 02:28 PM   #4
MamaLump
Registered Users
seller

I haven't tried a carrier. I've got a Moby wrap and a ring sling. Which one might work better?
MamaLump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2011, 03:13 PM   #5
aries416
Registered Users
seller

I would always offer and my kids would each take a couple sips and be done. I just offered more frequently when we were out. I'd also try to nurse in the car right before we went in somewhere and in the car when we were done. I still do this with my almost 11 month old because he is way too distracted to NIP unless he wants to sleep.
Old 09-15-2011, 04:22 PM   #6
Connor
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by MamaLump
I haven't tried a carrier. I've got a Moby wrap and a ring sling. Which one might work better?
I think a rs would work better since you can adjust when you need to nurse. You could try them out at home and see which you prefer.
Old 09-15-2011, 05:59 PM   #7
cherrycoke
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I second the ring sling (nurse in mine in public a lot). I also suggest a nursing/teething necklace. I'm about to buy one for DS (also 4 months) because he likes to play with my shirt no matter where we are. Etsy has tons of WAHM-made necklaces
Old 09-15-2011, 06:02 PM   #8
Dpopeaz
Registered Users
seller

My DD would only nurse in a carrier as well at this age in public.. I would nurse her in my Beco.. Good luck mama!!
Old 09-15-2011, 06:03 PM   #9
mibarra
Registered Users
seller

My LO was the same way. Just now getting over it at 8 months...I just offered a lot, and she would make up for it later too.
mibarra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2011, 08:12 PM   #10
Gabriel's Mommy
Registered Users
seller

I have a similar problem. My 8month old wants to flip the cover up so he can look around anytime he hears a noise so it's frustrating trying to get him to nurse instead of being so interested in everything else. Good luck to you!
Gabriel's Mommy is offline   Reply With Quote