Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 09-15-2011, 08:02 PM   #1
nursemama23
Registered Users
seller
seller

More milk question

I started taking More Milk Plus this week after going back to work and experiencing a decrease in my supply and trouble pumping enough to keep up with DD's needs for when I'm at work (3 12hour shifts/week). Do I just take it until my supply increases then I'm good or do I have to keep taking it to maintain? Thanks!

Advertisement

Old 09-16-2011, 03:25 PM   #2
Julesboch
Registered Users

My Mood:
Re: More milk question

Old 09-16-2011, 06:36 PM   #3
Mara'sMommy
Registered Users
seller

I am not 100% sure on this, but I think you need to keep taking it. But, like I said, I'm not 100%. Hopefully someone else can chime in here who's been through it.
Mara'sMommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 07:00 PM   #4
Connor
Registered Users
seller

I'm pretty sure you need to continue taking it. You can play with the amounts once your supply increases. You may be able to maintain your supply with a smaller dose.
Old 09-16-2011, 07:12 PM   #5
palsmama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Just A side note, because I'm not sure about your actual question, but you may want to make sure that who ever is feeding your dd while your away doesn't over feed her. Like normal bf babies don't take or need more than 4 oz per feed. They take about 1 oz and hour so about 12 oz or so for the time your gone. Another way to keep a good supply is to nurse between the hours of 9 pm and 10am when your prolactin levels are the highest and can increase your supply! hth
Old 09-17-2011, 07:28 AM   #6
nursemama23
Registered Users
seller
seller

She takes 4-5 3oz bottles while I'm at work
(12 hour shift but gone from the house for 13 1/2-14 hrs. Part of the problem is limited pumping opportunities while I'm at work. I pump 3 times max during my shift. I'm an ER nurse and breaks are difficult (if I'm in charge I actually take my computer and phone with me and run the department from behind closed doors while pumping)! I just wasn't getting enough each day and started to have supply issues so started more milk but didn't know if I have to continue to take it once my supply is improved. Thanks for the replies so far. I'll play around with dose to see if I can maintain on a lower dose.
Old 09-17-2011, 08:28 AM   #7
JocelynR
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by nursemama23 View Post
She takes 4-5 3oz bottles while I'm at work
(12 hour shift but gone from the house for 13 1/2-14 hrs. Part of the problem is limited pumping opportunities while I'm at work. I pump 3 times max during my shift. I'm an ER nurse and breaks are difficult (if I'm in charge I actually take my computer and phone with me and run the department from behind closed doors while pumping)! I just wasn't getting enough each day and started to have supply issues so started more milk but didn't know if I have to continue to take it once my supply is improved. Thanks for the replies so far. I'll play around with dose to see if I can maintain on a lower dose.
Like pp's have stated, you may have to play with dosage, but you should probably keep taking it for a bit after the increase. Slowly decrease the amount you take and keep an eye on your supply. This is going to be something that is different for every mom. Do you pump some on your days off from work? You may want to try to nurse and pump at the same time to get an extra bottle just to be safe.
JocelynR is offline   Reply With Quote