Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 09-16-2011, 09:31 AM   #1
veveland
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Help! Allergy? Sick? What's going on?

Okay, I need some advice from some more experience mamas. I'm a little confused.

Some background...my DD2 is 2 weeks old yesterday. She's EBF, nurses great, is gaining weight above average, sleeps well, isn't fussy, and has only spit up two times since birth (once in the hospital). She wets and poops in plenty of diapers and from what I can remember, they look normal (yellowish brown, seedy, and loose).

Today, I went to change her diaper and she had bloody mucous in it (about dime sized) and her nose is a bit stuffy (she's still breathing fine, but sounds has sneezed out some clear mucous a time or two). She's still not fussy, no diaper rash, nothing else.

Could this be a food allergy (I know dairy is typical)? I don't eat much dairy (only that used in prepared foods-I don't drink milk or eat ice cream, and only have cheese occasionally)...but she doesn't seem to have any other of the typical symptoms. What do you think? Would really appreciate some advice!

Advertisement

Old 09-16-2011, 09:42 AM   #2
Connor
Registered Users
seller

Blood and/or mucous in the stool is likely a food allergy. Dairy is the most common. You could stop dairy and if you notice the blood again you'd know dairy wasn't the issue.
Old 09-16-2011, 09:46 AM   #3
veveland
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Help! Allergy? Sick? What's going on?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Connor View Post
Blood and/or mucous in the stool is likely a food allergy. Dairy is the most common. You could stop dairy and if you notice the blood again you'd know dairy wasn't the issue.
Would it happen suddenly thought? She hasn't had any problems before...and I've had very little dairy lately, but know there have been times since my milk came in that I have had much more...
Old 09-16-2011, 10:07 AM   #4
mibarra
Registered Users
seller

Maybe she's just been congested and draining?? Keep a food diary, and keep track of her stools along with it. Then if it happens again you can see if there is consistency in what you ate vs. baby's poo. If it's a food allergy to something you eat regularly I would think she would have mucous in her stool regularly....
mibarra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 10:18 AM   #5
veveland
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mibarra View Post
Maybe she's just been congested and draining?? Keep a food diary, and keep track of her stools along with it. Then if it happens again you can see if there is consistency in what you ate vs. baby's poo. If it's a food allergy to something you eat regularly I would think she would have mucous in her stool regularly....
This is what I thought...but would mucous from a stuffy nose come out bloody? This is why I am so confused! She seems perfectly happy...and from all I have read, it's not likely she would ONLY have this symptom...

I just don't want to make her miserable!
Old 09-16-2011, 10:45 AM   #6
Greenebean214
Registered Users
seller

Is the blood IN her poo or WITH her poo? DD has had little red streaks from an irritated bowel when she was congested and fighting a cold. It only happened once and never again. The mucous could be from congestion too, but I would follow PP suggestions and keep a food diary if it keeps up.

Welcomed Liberty Grace May 12, 2011!
Greenebean214 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 11:01 AM   #7
veveland
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenebean214 View Post
Is the blood IN her poo or WITH her poo? DD has had little red streaks from an irritated bowel when she was congested and fighting a cold. It only happened once and never again. The mucous could be from congestion too, but I would follow PP suggestions and keep a food diary if it keeps up.
The blood is in the mucous, but not in the rest of her poo (if that makes sense at all). The rest of her poo is still seedy like normal...just a glob of blood tinged mucous in the middle of it...I'm trying to not eat any obvious dairy for now and see what happens. I'm just still baffled that she seems otherwise fine!
Old 09-16-2011, 11:48 AM   #8
veveland
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Also...does this warrant a call to the pedi? She's not running a fever and is nursing fine...
Old 09-16-2011, 01:40 PM   #9
mibarra
Registered Users
seller

Sometimes when I'm congested my mucous is bloody. Just a thought. If it's not regularly I still like the idea of food/daiper diary to look for a connection. Or you can always talk to your doctor.
mibarra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 03:58 PM   #10
Connor
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by veveland
Also...does this warrant a call to the pedi? She's not running a fever and is nursing fine...
If she's acting ok, besides the congestion/cold symptoms I wouldn't take her.