Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 11-19-2011, 05:08 PM   #1
julcharndawson
Registered Users
seller

Owen's birth - 2nd VBAC

As a VBAC mama, I love a good VBAC birth story so I wanted to share mine

Just as a back story. My c/s was in 2006, for no good reason that I can figure.

My first VBAC was a long, tough, eventually medicated affair, but ultimately it was a VBAC and I was thrilled.

Fast forward to last week! Some hospital policy changes had me very nervous about this birth. Constant monitoring was now required for anyone who'd ever had a section, despite me having had one sucessful VBAC. my dreams of using the birthing tub were done!

Here is the story as typed for my local mommy group the day after.

What an amazing couple of days.

Thursday 11/11, Dawson and I walked the lake at the new park, and this gave me a few contractions that were sporadic all day long. Nothing regular. That night I decided to make dh do his part no immediate contractions though, which was surprising. I went to bed at 10 and woke up with d at 12:30 for a few minutes. Noticed my stomach was tight but was able to go right back to sleep. Woke at 230/3 to pretty intense contractions that were 2-3 minutes apart, and short. I knew I couldn't sleep but figured they'd die off so I went downstairs. Messed on the computer, watched hgtv, etc. I was having to breath through contractions but it really wasn't painful.

I got kinda mad at this point. Lol. Why cant I just have contractions like everyone else that start a good distance apart and are longer than 30 seconds. I had labored with Dawson for 24+ hours with these short, closely spaced contractions only to end up that they were not strong enough to really do a lot of good. Went and got in the bath around 4, stayed for an hour and then decided to try and sleep. Realized once I was back in the bed that these contractions were starting to HURT and that I needed company. Made myself wait another 30 minutes to wake David. We called my mom around 545 and the MW. Sue was on call and said I really sounded like I needed to come in. I just knew I was not very far along and was going to be stuck on constant monitors and was so upset. I asked her if we could leave if I was not very far along and go to my grandmas (who has a nice big tub and house 2 minutes from the hospital). She said doubtful.

David and I left for the hospital at 630. That was a tough ride! Got checked in and regathered my composure that I'd lost in the car. Got through triage but had to stop for contractions often. No one was in much hurry. Got to the check in room, sue got there too and she checked me. A little after 7am and I was 8cm, fully effaced and bulging bag of waters. I was ecstatic! Could not believe it. Knowing that made my contractions so manageable and all the triage nurses kept saying how shocked they were that I was 8cm and still laughing. The nurses asked if I planned on getting an epi, I said no, and the said good! There probably isnt time anyways.

They got me to my room and everyone was in high speed! My contractions got very intense very quickly. Mary came in and sue left, which was great since Mary is the MW who delivered my last one and I love her. she's also a bit bossy, lol. But that works for me since I somehow lose all ability to make decisions during transition. The nurse was also wonderful. I labored about 30 minutes and it was so hard! But Mary, the nurse and David were amazing, and talked me off the ledge over and over Mary offered to break my water, I declined, but the nurse talked me into it a few contractions later and holy moly, those next 2 contractions were incredibly tough. And then Mary had me flip on my hands and knees and next thing I knew I was pushing and she was telling me to slow down and trying to get gloves on and baby was not waiting! I could not stop pushing and it was so hard and then all of a sudden there he was. Tore a little but not too bad. I was in total shock. It was over!

He was born at 9:10am on 11/11/11
8.4 lbs and 19 inches long. He seems so tiny to me still! (my c/s baby was 9lb10oz and my first VBAC baby was 9lb120z)

I still cannot believe it but I felt so amazing. Total high from the natural delivery. We go to go home the next morning, and have spent this week settling in and getting used to each other.

A couple of the proofs from our photoshoot thursday since my pics are all still trapped on my camera Thanks for reading!

Advertisement

julcharndawson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2011, 06:59 PM   #2
trying4more
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Owen's birth - 2nd VBAC

awesome story!
trying4more is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2011, 09:05 PM   #3
Truckerswife
Registered Users
seller

Great story and what a cool birthday your little guy has!
Old 11-19-2011, 09:18 PM   #4
5PrincessMommy
Registered Users
Formerly: Mrs_Brady
seller
seller

he is so darn cute!
Old 11-20-2011, 12:08 PM   #5
TwinKristi
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
What a cutie!! Great birth story!! WTG on the VBAC!!
Old 11-21-2011, 08:28 AM   #6
CountryChicMama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Beautiful story! I hope my second VBAC goes as nicely as yours did. Btw, love the name. My first VBAC baby is named Owen as well.
Old 11-21-2011, 10:55 AM   #7
songbird516
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Great story and pics
Old 11-21-2011, 12:45 PM   #8
ashleyandbaby2010
Registered Users

My Mood:
Great story! Congratulations on a natural vbac!!!!!!! Beautiful chunky baby!!! He looks so healthy
Old 11-25-2011, 07:46 PM   #9
Almacham
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Great job, mama! He's cute.
Old 11-25-2011, 08:17 PM   #10
rainydaysunshine
Registered Users
seller