Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 11-24-2012, 06:13 PM   #51
MomdeIsla
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: C/S tips on recovering from a cesarean

If you have an emergency section...expect a longer recovery. If they were in a hurry to get baby out they aren't always the gentlest getting in there. Mine was...and I didn't get why it took me almost 4 weeks to feel normal. After talking to my OB it made sense.

TAke The STOOL SOFTENERS!

Advertisement

Old 11-24-2012, 07:33 PM   #52
essential1892
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweet_Fantasy_Fox View Post
I just remembered one more~
when they say no fluids/drinks, don't try and be sneaky by asking for a cup of ice after surgery and melting it to drink. I found out very fast this will make you vomit. My intestines were still numb which is why they don't want you eating/drinking for however many hours, I was so thirsty and thought I was slick..yeah not a good idea and I will not be doing that again..lol
They let me have jello later in the day (I had my c/s in the morning) and I totally was puking my brains out even though I had nothing in my belly to throw up.
Old 11-24-2012, 07:36 PM   #53
essential1892
Registered Users
seller
seller

My biggest tip is do not lift anything heavy for awhile. After my third c/s I was lifting and carrying the infant car seat a couple of weeks after my surgery and I ended up hurting myself and took way longer to recover.
Old 11-25-2012, 06:13 AM   #54
Leiiki
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
I recommend a motorized recliner and a bunch of "dusters." Those are the old-fashioned nightgowns that snap down the front and make you look like a 50's housewife They are wonderful because they don't irritate your incision, they are easy to get on and off without bending, and you can snap open part of the gown to nurse easily. I got mine from thrift stores and JC Penneys/Sears.

I want to second the PP who mentioned longer recovery with an unexpected/emergency CS. Especially if you labored extensively before the surgery. Imagine doing 2000 sit-ups, then having someone cut your abs in half, play with your intenal organs, and sew you back together. It took me over a month to stop pain meds, two months to be back to normal daily activity, and three before I felt like I would ever be 100% again.

Consider doing modified EC so you are not getting up and down for every diaper change. You can put a little bowl in your lap or just lay some prefolds under baby instead.
Old 11-29-2012, 03:49 PM   #55
cowangel
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Bring a robe to the hospital to cover up with while you 'walk the halls' and nice non-slippery house shoes.

I don't eat solids until I pass gas after the surgery - this cuts back on being constipated for me.

Bring music to play while sleeping at the hospital - it keeps out the noise that goes on even at night.

Bring change for the hubs to make a run to the vending machine if nothing else is open and he doesn't want to leave the hospital yet.

Bring soft warm socks - my toes always get cold, then hot, the cold....

Bring your own nursing pads and nursing bra/tank for when your milk comes in.

Bring high-top underwear to wear after you are finished with the mesh undies.
Old 12-06-2012, 06:30 AM   #56
blueyes
Registered Users

The day after the Cesarean section, I was instructed by my OB to get up slowly and move around carefully while wearing my binder to support my painful tummy muscles. She ordered me not to lift up heavy objects greater than 15 pounds and told me that I should ask help from anyone in the family in terms of household chores while I was still recovering.

My OB also prescribed some medicines for stool softener and pain relief. Two months later, I got rid of my belly binder because the stitch is no longer painful.
blueyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 07:30 AM   #57
joeslittlewoman
Registered Users
seller

My csections were both following inductions, so my biggest advice is always stay on top of your pain meds. Maybe they aren't as necessary if you haven't had pit maxed out twice over the previous 48 hours. I stopped taking Percocet (only taking Ibuprofen) with my first because I was in so much pain I didn't think it was working. WRONG! It was at least taking the edge off. Had a hard time getting back on top of the pain. I couldn't even handle holding my baby (and I have a high pain tolerance). It really made recovery rough (physically and emotionally). I didn't make the same mistake the 2nd go round and the pain never got to that level. I was able to hold and nurse my baby. This babe might be a planned csection, so not 100% on if I'll take the Percocet, but I probably will take some so I don't end up in that horrible depressing state again.

Other than that, move slow and accept all the help you can get. Pads on incision, tummy binder, etc.

I actually do wear pants after, but I wear my hubby's oversized fleece pants, and keep the waist band high (and of course have the binder underneath). Sexy!!

Last edited by joeslittlewoman; 12-06-2012 at 07:36 AM.
joeslittlewoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 03:14 AM   #58
lovebear
Registered Users

Ask help from anyone in the family during your first week after the C-section. I read somewhere that you need to be treated like a queen while recovering from CS but I'm not sure if that was just a joke or a fact. You need to move around but still, ask for help when lifting heavy objects.
lovebear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 08:53 PM   #59
nicolewayne
Registered Users
seller

Belly bands or granny panties work wonders with keeping your belly in place. The less movement the better for pain management. Also keep a pillow within arms reach. If you need to sneeze, cough or anything like that hold it tight into your belly. That will help ALOT!
nicolewayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 02:14 AM   #60
Paristoo4
Registered Users

1. STOOL SOFTENERS! Make sure that your doctor puts that on your list of medications following surgery. The pain meds make constipation absolutely terrible. Don't eat a heavy meal prior to surgery- you will regret it
2. A surgical binder made specifically for c section support-after surgery you will feel better with the extra support.
3. Large comfortable looser fitting granny panties or shorties.
4. The maxi pad cold packs-they feel great on the incision site.
5. Take the meds as needed and as long as you feel pain but realize that they are making your constipation worse so know when it is manageable for you to stop and try to get off them. Don't try this in the first week though.
6. Go easy on yourself--yes you will read stories of the women who say they felt good enough to run a marathon 4 weeks post op but for mist people there will be lingering pain. I personally didn't feel better until 6 months so give yourself time.
7. However, that said, discuss all your lingering pains/ailments with a doctor because it could be serious-no question is stupid or bothersome-better to ask and be safe. And if your doctor is blowing off what you are feeling --then go to another until someone listens to you.
Paristoo4 is offline   Reply With Quote