Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 12-28-2011, 06:46 AM   #1
madiganandpupsmom
Registered Users
seller

BG vs Grovia trainer?

Sorry if this has been discussed already, iv'e been out of the loop, but my youngest will be 2 next November and I'm thinking I want to get these for her starting in the summer. Which are more absorbent, easier, etc? I'd love to hear reviews and see pics too! thanks so much!!!! We were using superundies pullons for my oldest but they often left big red marks on her thighs and I'm hoping one of these trainers will be better!

Advertisement

madiganandpupsmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 07:31 AM   #2
RockinLou
Registered Users
seller

Re: BG vs Grovia trainer?

I think easier is a personal opinion, but my daughter is pushing 3 and weighs 33 pounds, the flip trainer is too big on her, it literally falls down off her hips. It is also a bit flimsy and not very well made. The butt sags down majorly too and between that and the hips they are a no go for us, however if I wanted to stuff it with a flat and use as a diaper I could. DD also didn't like the exposed PUL on the inside.

GroVia is a much better fit and easier to use for us. No shifting insert to worry about! I use it as is during the day and put one booster in there for nights, the fit doesn't sag on her at all, and she can pull them down herself yet they aren't falling off on their own. I just really prefer their side flex panels. I also like the GroCool lining, she definitely knows when she is wet, and even wakes to use the potty in these at night, which never happened in Pull Ups. I'm using these exclusively now, wanting her to night train! In terms of quality, it's similar to comparing a flip cover with a GroVia shell, to me it is clear that the quality and craftsmanship in the GroVia product are far superior. It just always baffles me that with Flips being so flimsy, I don't understand the love...
RockinLou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 02:07 PM   #3
madiganandpupsmom
Registered Users
seller

that's awesome info. "easier" i meant my ease of using them as a parent (ie. loading insert, etc, ) and also my child's ease of pulling them up and down, which annoyed me about many snap trainers b/c my daughter wasn't able to pull them up/down herself. Sounds like I'll have to check out the grovias!!
madiganandpupsmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 03:17 PM   #4
ssand23
Registered Users
seller
seller

We have a quite a few of each. I think that off the top, Grovia is a better fit for a thin toddler but not as much for a chunky toddler. If you have an average to larger toddler, the Flip trainers are better. DS is a somewhat chunky guy & the Grovia ones leave 1/2 his butt cheek hanging out. It hasn't been an issue yet but he hasn't pooped in them yet either. I'm worried the poop may be on the loose with the Grovia ones. LOL

I like that the Flip has a bunch of color choices, they fully cover ds's bottom, the inserts are super absorbent, even using 1. It is easy to put 2 inserts in there for more absorbency. I have had no problems washing them & the inserts are a fast dry. Since you can remove the inserts & reuse the cover, the Flip trainer is much less expensive than the Grovia trainer.

I am considering getting a Grovia stay dry doubler for the top Flip trainer insert since they need a slimmer doubler. And the Flip inserts are a perfect fit for inside the Grovia trainers.

The Grovia fabric that comes inside doesn't hold much of anything. Unless you are using it for a child who is almost pottying full time, you will need to stuff it. The fabric on top is semi-stay dry. Not as much as a suedecloth pocket but more than just cotton. But I like that it is a pocket that you put the extra fabric inside, this is very helpful if you have an extremely wiggly toddler. But after 1 wash, the inside fabric had pulls in it. I am concerned how it will hold up over time. I do have 2 more of these on the way since there are times when we need the pocket when ds is having a tantrum during a change.

Bottom line, they both have pros & cons. I don't think 1 is clearly better than the other though I do think the Flips have more pros for me.

At the end of the day, the Flips are cheaper per use. They are $25 & come with 5 inserts aka 5 uses. The Grovia ones are $19 and can be used once but if you have a larger child like I do, the Plus size side panels are sold separate & an extra $4 so it cost me $23 for 1 use.

Flip has a lot more color choices. I asked Grovia and they do not have plans for more color choices. But truthfully, if Grovia had more color choices, that could very easily sway me to grab another, even with butt cheeks.

And of course, the butt cheek issue. Grovia leaves butt cheeks hanging out. If you have a skinny toddler, this shouldn't be an issue but if you have an average to chunky toddler, it may very well be.

P.S. I have been working on my own modifications to the Flips. I am sewing suede cloth on top of the inserts. It's an easy way to make them stay-day.

Last edited by ssand23; 12-28-2011 at 03:22 PM.
ssand23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 07:01 PM   #5
ssand23
Registered Users
seller
seller

P.S. I just finished washing the Grovia trainer for the 2nd time & the stitching has already come undone along the pocket flap. I have contacted them. I didn't have good luck in the past the other Grovia products (the AIO's, pail liners & wet bags all fell apart). I was hoping these would be different. Hopefully it's just a freak thing & the 2 others on the way will be problem free!
Old 12-28-2011, 07:48 PM   #6
RockinLou
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssand23 View Post
We have a quite a few of each. I think that off the top, Grovia is a better fit for a thin toddler but not as much for a chunky toddler. If you have an average to larger toddler, the Flip trainers are better.
My daughter is "average" - 50% for height and weight and the flips fall off of her so badly that when she did wet they leaked everywhere... with the GroVia that doesn't happen.

I've never had a quality issue with any of my GroVia products except for 2, which they replaced for me promptly, I'm sure they'll take care of your problem right away!

I'm confused though- are you trying to use the trainers as a diaper? or as trainers? I like how little the GroVia holds, how trim it is, and how it doesn't cover the entire bum, but DD has been poop trained for months, and I basically use these if we're going for a long car ride and overnight, and even at night I only need to add one booster to hold her.

I think its great if you're trying to make them work for you as diapers, but I think that if that's the case then you should say that when you give your opinion on them, because it's a completely different scenario to be trying to turn a trainer into a diaper, there are different features, for good reason.

As for the 5 flip inserts to one shell, if my child were going through 5 inserts in a day after the first week of training, I would put them back in diapers, but that's just my own personal opinion.... with the flip trainer inserts for us, because it was such a bad fit on the cover, shifted around and left exposed PUL right along DD's privates, she was very itchy and uncomfortable in them and took them off every time I tried to put her in them. I'm sure if they actually stayed up on her hips and the fit was better then it wouldn't have happened. Anyway, I'll take neutral colors and fun side panels over that mess any day...

bottom line, different fits for different kids, like all things, but as a trainer, with the features I was looking for, GroVia just made a lot more sense to me.
Old 12-28-2011, 09:48 PM   #7
ssand23
Registered Users
seller
seller

I am using them as diapers. My little guy outgrew one size everything quite a while ago (he's not yet 2) and this is as close to over 35 lbs as these 2 companies offer. I'm sorry. I had mentioned that in my other review posts. I didn't realize I hadn't here. I'd seen people from Grovia posting that they were stuffing it for similar use. My son is just quite large for his age so hopefully he's the minority with butt cheek problems The ideal would be if these companies offered diapers for the over 35 lb toddler but I am able to make these work for what we need. Ds is over the 99% for height & weight & has especially large thighs & waist on top of that.

I really hope this Grovia is a freak thing. The only other issue I've had recently is a Flip trainer arrived missing the laundry tab. Ironically, it came in the same package as the Grovia trainer I need to send back. I think it was just a bad luck box

I like the Flip variety but I really like the Cloud color & that it's less babyish.

I don't think either is a bad product but just better for different sizes & uses. It sounds like Grovia is better for a "close to undies" child & one who is slim. Where both can be used as a diaper, the Flip may be better for the chunky ones. I like & will use both but I need to wait & see if the coverage issue will be a leakage problem or just something to make my girls giggle. Hopefully the latter.

Sent from my iPhone, please excuse any autocorrect craziness ;(

Last edited by ssand23; 12-29-2011 at 08:33 AM.
Old 03-03-2013, 10:19 PM   #8
ladiebug2663
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I too am looking at the grovia and flip pull ups as diapers but because my daughter is a demon when it comes to laying down. Right now i cant decide which to try, i change her everytime she pees minus shopping trips. Bit she is only 21 lbs and is petite.
ladiebug2663 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 11:17 PM   #9
RockinLou
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladiebug2663 View Post
I too am looking at the grovia and flip pull ups as diapers but because my daughter is a demon when it comes to laying down. Right now i cant decide which to try, i change her everytime she pees minus shopping trips. Bit she is only 21 lbs and is petite.
gosh, you dug up an old thread!!

Ironically, though, I am now using the GroVia trainers with my son! He is 28 pounds and 32 inches and we use them with the regular panels, it holds one pee, but if we're going to be out longer than an hour I put a booster in. Their new bamboo prefolds in size 1 are supposed to be a great fit, but I haven't had the chance to give one a try yet.

I haven't bothered trying a flip with him as I had such a bad experience with it with my daughter, I'm using the GroVia My Choice, Blueberry and some trainers I've made myself this time around! I think given your daughter's size, I would go with GroVia, in reading these boards for the past year or more the brands just fit really differently, and if you have a petite child you probably want to go with the one that was designed to fit from 12 months
Old 05-15-2013, 11:51 AM   #10
Mrs. Sunshine
Registered Users
seller
seller

Hi ladies! Do you think the grovia trainers will work well for my ds for nighttime? He is 29lbs and 3ft tall. Hes 2...