Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-29-2012, 12:49 PM   #1
Harmony96
Administrator
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:
Potential back cover to my book.

This is a lot harder than picking the title, and I imagine that the synopsis will go through WAY more revisions and rewrites than the title did.

Here's what I wrote down first, early on, just to have "something" on paper, even though I knew full well that I'd likely be changing it later.
Quote:
Pregnancy usually lasts about nine months, and then babies grow up. But what happens when things don’t go as planned? After having two uncomplicated pregnancies, Andrea Hall’s third child was premature and spent his entire short life in the neonatal intensive care unit. Walk with her through the trials of staying on hospital bedrest, having a preemie in the NICU, and learning how to function after a baby dies. Her Christian faith is evident as she shares numerous Biblical examples and how she looked to God in every step of this journey.
And here's what I revised it to just now. I feel like it's "too short" still, but it's concise, and I don't know what I'd add without making it feel wordy. And I really think the first sentence, combined with the title, can be a "hook" and make people want to at least read what the rest of the back cover says. But overall, does it make them want to open the book? I don't know.
Quote:
Joyful upon finding out she was expecting her third child, Andrea Hall never imagined the baby would not come home with her. Her otherwise normal pregnancy took an unexpected turn when she went into preterm labor at just 23 weeks. Follow her journey of faith as she shares her trials of hospital bedrest and having a preemie in the NICU, and as she finds blessings and hope after her baby dies.
Thoughts are welcome. Feel free to pick it apart. Like I said, it will probably be rewritten another dozen or so times before being final, so if you think I should scrap the whole thing and try again, it won't hurt my feelings.

ETA 5/4/13 - I've finally done some real work on the book, and here's another option for something for the back cover. And I'm 99% sure that I'm going to scrap the other two options that I posted, so I'm just interested in thoughts on this third one.

Quote:
“Loss Mamas.” It’s the name of a club nobody ever wants to join. The initiation is painful, the dues are unaffordable and you can never cancel your membership.

I am one of those mamas, and this is my story.

Advertisement

I'm also a Younique presenter. Click here for naturally-based beauty care!

Last edited by Harmony96; 05-04-2013 at 01:29 PM.
Harmony96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 12:55 PM   #2
z2akids
Registered Users
seller

Re: Potential back cover to my book.

Personally, I would probably scrap it until the book is nearly complete. Until you really know which chapters, paragraphs and even sentences will have the most impact in the book, I don't believe you can really write a synposis.

I mean, they both sound compelling. However, you might find as you settle into the actual writing that you go in a tangential direction.
Old 01-29-2012, 01:28 PM   #3
mmlsmom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I actually thought the first one makes me want to read the book more than the second one.
Old 01-29-2012, 01:41 PM   #4
mommy2kaitlyn
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmlsmom View Post
I actually thought the first one makes me want to read the book more than the second one.
I feel the same way.
Old 01-31-2012, 08:19 PM   #5
crunchymom2b
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Just going by the two options, I agree with the PP and Alisha. But I also think Jennifer is right that you shouldn't choose a final synopsis until the book is complete or nearly complete.

I can't wait to read it Andrea!

Alycia + Tom = 2 Labor Day babies! Tommy (9/09) + Vinny (9/12)
Under construction: unexpectedly expecting in 2015!
crunchymom2b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 08:26 PM   #6
eragsdale
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I actually like the first one more. It leaves things out, to make you want to learn when you had him, what were your other preggie/births like, how did you'd faith grow and where did you need more support. Where as the 2nd one fills all those blanks in, and there isn't much more to discover.

Does that make since?

Also, the first tells me this is about a true deep relationship that you have with Christ and that you looked into/sought out his comfort through his word (and to give scriptures!).

The second makes me think of just a general relationship with Christ, just on the surface type of relationship.

Last edited by eragsdale; 01-31-2012 at 08:34 PM.
eragsdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 09:50 PM   #7
Harmony96
Administrator
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by eragsdale View Post
I actually like the first one more. It leaves things out, to make you want to learn when you had him, what were your other preggie/births like, how did you'd faith grow and where did you need more support. Where as the 2nd one fills all those blanks in, and there isn't much more to discover.

Does that make since?

Also, the first tells me this is about a true deep relationship that you have with Christ and that you looked into/sought out his comfort through his word (and to give scriptures!).

The second makes me think of just a general relationship with Christ, just on the surface type of relationship.
Yes, that makes sense.

I'm glad I posted both of them and got some opinions b/c I really liked the second one, lol.
I'm also a Younique presenter. Click here for naturally-based beauty care!
Harmony96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 07:15 AM   #8
~happy2Bamommy~
Four things come not back: The spoken word; the sped arrow; the past life; and the neglected opportunity.
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:

I actually like the second one best but I agree with those who say to start the actual book first.

Last edited by ~happy2Bamommy~; 02-01-2012 at 07:22 AM.
~happy2Bamommy~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 07:21 AM   #9
2+2macht4
Super Moderator
sitesupporter
seller
seller

Location: In a quaint village smack in the middle of the black forest.

I prefer number two, but I do not like the bit about after baby dies the wording throws me. I prefer something more gentile, like as she finds blessings and hope in life after loosing a child.
Old 02-01-2012, 04:24 PM   #10
Mommy2Gav
Registered Users
seller

Like the firsst one better.

ISO: Nook. Will trade goodmamas.
Mommy2Gav is offline   Reply With Quote