Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-11-2012, 05:33 PM   #11
mama2jack
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Vegan and Vegetarian mamas enter here...

It is neat to see all the responses. I initially decided to go vegetarian because my dad's side of the family has alot of colon cancer and disease and my mom's side is all very overweight. I did waffle a bit around my first thanksgiving being veg but then decided to watch some video's of the treatment of animals on factory farms and have not had a meat craving since. As far as being vegan I have tried before but didn't do to well. I think it was because I was just trying to replace dairy products w/ fake dairy product. This time I did alot of research and know the WHY of why I want to leave it out of my diet. If that makes sense... I don't know if this as anything to do with it but since I started the 21 day vegan trial everything tastes SO good. Like flavors just pop.

Advertisement

Old 02-11-2012, 07:52 PM   #12
Green Decals
Registered Users
Formerly: mumma1010
seller
seller

My Mood:

Can I pop in if I am not vegan or vegetarian? I have a friend who is vegan, and our kids are in the same class at school. I love to find new recipes that accommodate their choices, but struggle with soy. We avoid all soy and follow a traditional diet (WAPF), which leaves me with few options for good recipes that I can use for get-togethers. Because we only use coconut oil and olive oil (un-heated) for veggie-based fats, it really limits me. If anyone has any super-basic recipes that would accommodate both my diet and hers, please let me know!

In the recipe sharing department, I am making these for the kids' school class for Valentines, in heart-shaped pieces. I am going to use raw honey from a friend's hive instead of agave though, because we don't eat agave nectar (due to the fructose) and my friend has no issue with honey. Oh, the challenges!
Green Decals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 07:40 PM   #13
3rockstars
Registered Users
Formerly: FaeryGnomeHome
seller

To keep this party train rollin:

Tortilla Soup.
http://peasandthankyou.com/recipage/...erm=vegetarian
Old 02-13-2012, 07:25 AM   #14
rachelmaria
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3rockstars View Post

Tortilla Soup.
MAKE THIS YALL!! That soup is killer. 4 realzies times five thousand. I lurves it!!!

I'm Rachel. I've been veggie for probably about 10 years now. I cut out all meats other than poultry and tuna fish about 17 years ago, but was too young to understand diet and knew it, so still ate some meat for many years. SO eats meat, but I keep a meat free home. He eats a mostly veggie diet and did so before we ever met. DD is veggie as well.

I'm old skool, so most of my favorite recipes are in a book. But sharing is caring, so gimme a minute and I'll find something.....

Farro Chickpea Tomato Salad (Warning: this may give you the toots, but it's sooooooooooo worth it.)
Spicy Black Bean Chili
Old 02-13-2012, 08:45 AM   #15
mama2jack
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Smile Re: Vegan and Vegetarian mamas enter here...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green Decals View Post
Can I pop in if I am not vegan or vegetarian? I have a friend who is vegan, and our kids are in the same class at school. I love to find new recipes that accommodate their choices, but struggle with soy. We avoid all soy and follow a traditional diet (WAPF), which leaves me with few options for good recipes that I can use for get-togethers. Because we only use coconut oil and olive oil (un-heated) for veggie-based fats, it really limits me. If anyone has any super-basic recipes that would accommodate both my diet and hers, please let me know!

In the recipe sharing department, I am making these for the kids' school class for Valentines, in heart-shaped pieces. I am going to use raw honey from a friend's hive instead of agave though, because we don't eat agave nectar (due to the fructose) and my friend has no issue with honey. Oh, the challenges!
Of course you can join in! For get together ideas have you tried noodles w/ veggies and a peanut sauce? Blend together peanut butter, sesame oil, a bit of OJ, fresh ginger, pinch of salt and a little warm water if needed.
Also what about doing a vegan breakfast for dinner? Pancakes or vegan muffins, fruit, Juice, roasted peppers and potatoes. Or tacos with a choice of beans ( you could do black sauteed w/ mushrooms, peppers, onions ect and smashed pintos with taco type seasonings) rice, avacado, tomato, chopped onion, salsa ect. Bean chili w/ crackers or cornbread. Lentil and cauliflower curry is a favorite around here served with rice or flatbread. Pasta tossed with cucumber, tomatoes, olives, bell peppers, mushrooms ect and marinated in a dressing or evoo and vinegar. Lots of soup options. Pureed white beans are a great thickener if you want a soup that is on the creamy side. A trio of cold salads might be good. Like a tossed salad, a 4 bean salad and a quinoa salad, serve w/ fancy breads from bakery. Veggie sandwiches
(cucumber, tomato, red onion, sauteed mushrooms, avacado, ect. ) you could make a spicy garlic dressing w/soy free vegenaise.
I could go on and on.
Old 02-13-2012, 08:49 AM   #16
mama2jack
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3rockstars View Post

Tortilla Soup.
Yummy, so on my list!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rachelmaria View Post
MAKE THIS YALL!! That soup is killer. 4 realzies times five thousand. I lurves it!!!

I'm Rachel. I've been veggie for probably about 10 years now. I cut out all meats other than poultry and tuna fish about 17 years ago, but was too young to understand diet and knew it, so still ate some meat for many years. SO eats meat, but I keep a meat free home. He eats a mostly veggie diet and did so before we ever met. DD is veggie as well.

I'm old skool, so most of my favorite recipes are in a book. But sharing is caring, so gimme a minute and I'll find something.....

Farro Chickpea Tomato Salad (Warning: this may give you the toots, but it's sooooooooooo worth it.) Spicy Black Bean Chili
lmbo! With how much fiber and beans we eat around her that wouldn't be a new development.
Old 02-13-2012, 08:58 AM   #17
3rockstars
Registered Users
Formerly: FaeryGnomeHome
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by rachelmaria View Post

Farro Chickpea Tomato Salad (Warning: this may give you the toots, but it's sooooooooooo worth it.)
Spicy Black Bean Chili
I second the Farro Chickpea Tomato Salad. YUM! Jenna's blog is a daily must-read for me. Not all her recipes are veggie but a lot are and she makes some vegan stuff too. I haven't tried the chili yet but I want to. Bad.
Old 02-13-2012, 09:11 AM   #18
Janine
Registered Users

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mama2jack View Post
lmbo! With how much fiber and beans we eat around her that wouldn't be a new development.
Reminds me of this sticker. http://www.foodfightgrocery.com/im-v...a-day-sticker/
Janine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 06:41 PM   #19
poopstermomma
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Hi! I'm Rochelle. My DH and I have a Vegetarian household. No meat, eggs, or fish. Limited dairy (no milk, no butter) but we eat cheese occasionally. Living this lifestyle for 12 years. Raising our 3 kids the same way. No issues. People don't question it, and are pretty respectful.

*Having some very interesting discussions lately with my 3 year old about why we don't eat animals, but why her aunt does.
poopstermomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 07:22 PM   #20
Janine
Registered Users

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by poopstermomma

*Having some very interesting discussions lately with my 3 year old about why we don't eat animals, but why her aunt does.
I always feel like that is a difficult discussion. I wonder about how to explain to my child that I find it wrong to kill animals for food without making it sound like their friends and family who eat meat aren't mean animal-haters. We do have a wonderful children's book though called That's Why We Don't Eat Animals. I'm hoping that helps.
Janine is offline   Reply With Quote