Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-24-2013, 09:35 AM   #51
mtate
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Vegan and Vegetarian mamas enter here...

My DH decided as of the new year that he was going to start on a 28 day vegan test diet. I was trying to be supportive in his goals to be more healthy and lose some unnecessary weight he'd put on the past year, so I said I would try it for 28 days with him. While I'm not 100% convinced that this is an appropriate dietary change for good, I'd like to sub this thread for some recipe advice!
On a side note, I am happy to eat more whole foods and try to avoid all the processed garbage out there! I'm just not convinced scientifically that axing meat of any kind is the right choice... And so as not to cause any upset here, I'll finish that by saying... For myself and my child, as that is as far as my opinion matters. It's not my intent to step on toes or anything like that, I just appreciate recipe and food advice, as I see us continuing to incorporate vegan/veggie type meals into our routine even if meat and dairy are reintroduced to our table at the end of the month.

Advertisement

mtate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 10:54 AM   #52
mama2jack
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtate
My DH decided as of the new year that he was going to start on a 28 day vegan test diet. I was trying to be supportive in his goals to be more healthy and lose some unnecessary weight he'd put on the past year, so I said I would try it for 28 days with him. While I'm not 100% convinced that this is an appropriate dietary change for good, I'd like to sub this thread for some recipe advice!
On a side note, I am happy to eat more whole foods and try to avoid all the processed garbage out there! I'm just not convinced scientifically that axing meat of any kind is the right choice... And so as not to cause any upset here, I'll finish that by saying... For myself and my child, as that is as far as my opinion matters. It's not my intent to step on toes or anything like that, I just appreciate recipe and food advice, as I see us continuing to incorporate vegan/veggie type meals into our routine even if meat and dairy are reintroduced to our table at the end of the month.
I am assuming he is doing the 28 day diet by Rip Esselstyn? I am doing his program ATM because I indulged a bit too much and would like to slim down a little bit as well. My tummy is very content and I am eating so nutrient heavy that I am rarely hungry.
If you haven't read it I would get his book from the library. It has some really great recipes in it.
Old 01-24-2013, 11:18 AM   #53
mtate
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mama2jack View Post
I am assuming he is doing the 28 day diet by Rip Esselstyn? I am doing his program ATM because I indulged a bit too much and would like to slim down a little bit as well. My tummy is very content and I am eating so nutrient heavy that I am rarely hungry.
If you haven't read it I would get his book from the library. It has some really great recipes in it.
Thanks for the advice, I'll have to check out the library for that book!

mtate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 04:40 PM   #54
veggybugg
Registered Users

Glad I found you all. My husband and I are vegetarian, borderline vegan now that my EBF 4 month old is dairy intolerant. Can't wait to get caught up on all your posts.
veggybugg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 04:42 PM   #55
lyn1270
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Hi, all I was vegetarian in my teens, but quickly reverted back meat when I went to college/got married. Fast forward 20+ years (O.O) and I've recently gone vegan. I had some health problems in 2012. I had never had any serious health issues other than a few minor stomach issues. But last year my stomach went CRAZY. Finally, the pain was so bad that I sought medical attention. That was HUGE for me as we don't fax, don't have a ped, and don't have a primary care physician other than our chiro. I found an MD that was conservative and open to holistic tx (yeah..they really exist ). After a few non-invasive tests, we found that I had gallstones. Well, he wanted to do surgery (of course...smh), but I decided to seek out the advice of my naturopath instead. She & I talked about it, and then I talked w/my chiro about it, and then I chatted w/God about it. Bottom line....decided that going vegan and doing a liver/gallbladder cleanse was my best option. So that is what I did. I just finished the cleanse, and I haven't had any animal products (other than honey...yeah...gotta keep that LOL...but hey, I buy from a local guy and it's not all processed...so I'm good w/it ) since mid-January. I have to say, I feel the best I have felt in quite some time. My body is responding to this dietary change in a great way. I haven't lost any weight, and I could stand to lose some. But my overall health and the way I feel is greatly improved so I will take it!! I actually feel good enough to start some kind of exercise too And that is awesome! I had been doing a LOT of running, but my knees are DONE (so says 2 orthodpedists & my chiro & my crunchin' knees...le sigh...). So I think I'm gonna pick up my yoga again, which I love! And I found a place near me that offers anti-gravity yoga which takes some of the pressure off of bad joints! woot!!

oh....and I don't make/force my family to go vegan. DS2 is crazy picky, and DH is hard core carnivore DS1 is adventurous and likes trying the vegan dish, and DS3 is right there w/dad LOLOL. but, I do throw out new recipes and such for them on ocassion to see what they think. I made chewy vegan granola bars tonite and DS1 says,"Mom, I think you finally hooked me! These are GREAT!".

can't wait to keep checkin' in and maybe sharing some ideas/recipes/etc!

Last edited by lyn1270; 02-01-2013 at 04:44 PM.
lyn1270 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 02:57 PM   #56
lyn1270
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

hi, all! making spaghetti squash & zucchini spaghetti tonite! yummo!
I made a vegan "meat" loaf last night w/pintos & black beans. DH said it was good, but it would be better w/chips and tons of cheese LMAO!
lyn1270 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 08:37 PM   #57
judyjudyjudy
Registered Users
seller

Hi. We eat a plant strong diet based on Dr. Joel Fuhrman's research and direction - called Nutritarian. We also follow Dr. McDougall as well as the Engine 2 Diet. They all basically tell the same story - that when you eat most of your nutrients from plants - lots of greens that you can prevent illness. Lots of information in the film Forks Over Knives that shows the research behind all this.

I started posted some of my original recipes as well as some favorites that our family likes on our blog:
www.nutritarianrecipebox.blogspot.com

Anyone else stick to a similar diet?
judyjudyjudy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 11:07 PM   #58
tcat216
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by judyjudyjudy View Post
Hi. We eat a plant strong diet based on Dr. Joel Fuhrman's research and direction - called Nutritarian. We also follow Dr. McDougall as well as the Engine 2 Diet. They all basically tell the same story - that when you eat most of your nutrients from plants - lots of greens that you can prevent illness. Lots of information in the film Forks Over Knives that shows the research behind all this.

I started posted some of my original recipes as well as some favorites that our family likes on our blog:
www.nutritarianrecipebox.blogspot.com

Anyone else stick to a similar diet?
I follow Dr. McDougall at home and try to find McDougall choices when eating out but sometimes it's hard to find something that is not cooked in oil. I only eat out about once a month though so 95% of the time I eat McDougall, but always 100% vegan.
tcat216 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 08:33 AM   #59
mel j
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

This thread is so interesting. I'm definitely not a vegan but actually pretty close to being an omni-vegetarian or whatever it's called, or pescetarian. I can do w/o beef, pork and chicken, but some fish, eggs and some dairy would be a bit harder for me to give up. Glad to find all the info in this thread! I like the phrase "plant-based"...most of my meals are plant-based now
mel j is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 09:18 AM   #60
Namiko
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I've been vegan for over 10 years but started having a little meat and dairy (just cheese) into my diet after becoming pregnant. Little meaning a slice of cheese here and there and some turkey for Thanksgiving. Now that our DD is here I'm going back to vegan but I do eat honey. For me it's not so much the philosophy about not eating animal products as it is about eating healthy so your body can best utilize nutrients. I grew up with food combining and then adopted the vegan/vegetarian title just because it was a lot easier to explain to people.
When I married my DH, his parents were a little upset that I was vegetarian since they are ranchers and love their meat. They asked him if he thought he could persuade me to give it up. DH is really supportive and he actually doesn't eat a ton of meat himself. We will have a barbecue with hamburger and veggie patties during the summer and he eats meat at restaurants but it hasn't been a source of conflict at all. My in-laws have also been pretty accepting . . . though I still think they frown on any dietary restrictions.
I was once told that if I didn't eat meat my brain would shrink. LOL. I think it's funny the misconceptions that go around. But really I look up to people who eat vegan/vegetarian or any other sort of consistent diet for whatever reason.
Happy to find this thread! We had vegan meatballs for dinner last night http://vegweb.com/recipes/mouthwatering-meatball