Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-17-2012, 01:18 AM   #1
themamageek
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller

Blueberry Coverall OS vs Thirsties Duo Wrap?

With the new baby, I'm trying to get back into cloth diapering. I settled on prefolds (and inexpensive fitteds if I can find them but going piece by piece here) so I figured I'd order some GMD yellows for now.

My problem is, I cannot decide between the Blueberry Coveralls or Thirsties Duo Wraps. I love the prints of both (though that Thirsties Blackbird makes me drool), the price isn't too extreme in either direction (I was thinking 6 covers in my stash for laundry every two days?) and they both have their pros. I do know I'd be going for snaps, regardless.

My DD is just over a month old and probably just under 9 pounds. She has chunky thighs now (born with sweet chicken legs but my milk seems to have fixed that right up) and a tummy but she's overall pretty petite.

I'm looking for a trim fit, contained mess and I'll probably be using this method of folding:

(I like snappis.)

I'd like for DH to have the option to just trifold but it's not super necessary.

Can anyone weigh in for me? Part of me is debating on getting one of each because if I don't like the BB, I can always get more Thirsties and go with the Duo system, and if I prefer the BB, one extra cover for the first few months probably won't be a bad idea. Even though I'm on a shoestring budget, I could probably manage to swing that extra expense.

Ahhh, help me! I've been debating for days and I'm going crazy. I'd really like to get DD out of disposables already. I've been reading every prefold and cover related thread in this forum for a week, plus gone back to previous posts. I think I'm losing my mind.

(Also, how many covers and prefolds would I really need, anyway? I'd like to do laundry every other day.)

Edit: While I'm at it, has anyone used these?
http://www.greenmountaindiapers.com/twosidedwipes.htm

I'm looking for wipes that are less than $1/ea. but would still be good. I've never used cloth wipes, so that is entirely new territory for me.

Edit 2: I just read a review on Amazon that said Blueberry fabric seemed cheap, like the snaps would rip right out. Reviews for Thirsties said they came in with broken snaps. Have any of you had issues with either like that?

Advertisement

Last edited by themamageek; 02-17-2012 at 02:43 AM. Reason: I babble like a weirdo.
themamageek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 06:09 AM   #2
MomBecks
Registered Users

Re: Blueberry Coverall OS vs Thirsties Duo Wrap?

I think for your baby's size now Thirsties would be a better fit, but BBCs would start fitting soon. And I like BBCs for night (if you aren't using wool) because they have plenty of room to for bulkier overnight diapers. I really like both for them, though! I like to have a mix of covers because I think it's good to not have the same fit 24/7 always rubbing in the same way if that makes sense. Also, you might like the new Capri cover coming out especially if you're wanting to trifold. I would try a few different covers to see which you really like first. And you're right, I always use those extra covers anyway! Good luck!
Old 02-17-2012, 06:10 AM   #3
MomBecks
Registered Users

Oh, and I forgot to say that 2 dozen prefolds and 6 covers is a great stash!
Old 02-17-2012, 06:19 AM   #4
revolekim
Registered Users
seller
seller

Are you an aplix or snaps person? When DS was a newbie, I liked Thirsties Duos with aplix, but the size ones did not last long at all. And I hadn't discovered BBCs yet. Now I LOVE BBCs with snaps. The fit is much better, and I like the fact that the two rows of snaps allow me to make the tummy tighter and the legs looser. If it's the money factor, you should try Sweet Pea Diaper covers. They only have one cute print, but they fit and are just as good quality as BBCs, but they're only $10.95. They're actually my favorite cover.

Liz , wife to Mike and semi-crunchy mama to 4 little ones: Gehrig the Jedi Knight (04/08), Logan a.k.a. "Pigpen" (06/10), princess pumpkin Katie Rose (10/12), and chipmunk Lexi (06/14)
::::::
revolekim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 10:33 AM   #5
themamageek
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by revolekim
Are you an aplix or snaps person? When DS was a newbie, I liked Thirsties Duos with aplix, but the size ones did not last long at all. And I hadn't discovered BBCs yet. Now I LOVE BBCs with snaps. The fit is much better, and I like the fact that the two rows of snaps allow me to make the tummy tighter and the legs looser. If it's the money factor, you should try Sweet Pea Diaper covers. They only have one cute print, but they fit and are just as good quality as BBCs, but they're only $10.95. They're actually my favorite cover.
Snaps for sure. We don't like aplix in this house. Well, we like the convenience but not the care!

I did look at those but I decided to budget for the others because I didn't get to pick out colors and stuff with my son so I admit, I'm wanting a little bit of that with DD. She's my last baby, so... *blushes*

I do like the double row of snaps on the BBs... ahhh what to do!

It doesn't help that I found a great deal on prefolds and Thirsties.

My phone thinks it is smarter than me.
Old 02-17-2012, 10:48 AM   #6
2peanuts1pumpkin
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
I have thirsties size ones for my newbie (one month, 10 lbs) and I like them a lot. However I have a couple for my size two for my two year olds, and I don't like them as much. I can't them tight enough at the tummy (snaps) and the rise snaps do not stay snapped at all. I love blueberry coveralls on them, and I love the prints they have. I haven't tried a coverall on the baby yet, but I think it would still be really big.
2peanuts1pumpkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 12:46 PM   #7
themamageek
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2peanuts1pumpkin
I have thirsties size ones for my newbie (one month, 10 lbs) and I like them a lot. However I have a couple for my size two for my two year olds, and I don't like them as much. I can't them tight enough at the tummy (snaps) and the rise snaps do not stay snapped at all. I love blueberry coveralls on them, and I love the prints they have. I haven't tried a coverall on the baby yet, but I think it would still be really big.
When did you stop liking them in the twos?

My phone thinks it is smarter than me.
Old 02-17-2012, 01:38 PM   #8
Greenwife
Registered Users
seller
seller

The Blueberry are sized larger, so we didn't start using the until around 10-12 lbs, but they have more coverage and a longer rise than the Duo size 2, so will last as the child grows. We like the Duos, but the rise snaps constantly come undone so I just leave them on the biggest setting for my 19lb 16 month old. There is still growing room in the rise, but compared to the Blueberry when unsnapped, the Blueberry is much longer. Our Blueberry's have been in constant use for over a year and no issues with snaps failing - and I bought them as seconds. They list them on their clearance page from time to time.
Old 02-17-2012, 05:01 PM   #9
mommysoon
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I've never used a BB but I currently use size 1 Thristies with my NB and love them. Right now I prefer the aplix to the snaps b/c I can get a better/tighter fit. I also love Snappi's and that is the same fold I use. Works great!
mommysoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 06:32 PM   #10
kangasox
Registered Users
seller

I have one of each in snaps (we only use PUL for going out). I like both, but for different reasons. The thirsties PUL is a bit thinner, and the cover in general is a bit trimmer. I think the leg elastic is a little "pinchier" for lack of a better word. It doesn't actually pinch, but it's more accordian like, whereas the blueberry elastic is a little smoother. But the blueberry double row of snaps is great, and it's fuller coverage, and the PUL is a little thicker. Honestly, if I were going buy again, I don't know which I'd choose. They are both great covers.
kangasox is offline   Reply With Quote