Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 03-04-2012, 04:03 PM   #1
ulawolf
Registered Users
seller
seller

Glass or pba free plastic?

I will be nursing this upcoming lo but want to make the right choice for bottles for when other people feed him/her. I used breastflow with last lo and then nuks. I will express and then dh will do one to two feedings a day after the first 8 weeks. What is better glass? Or bpa free? Any suggestions for the best bottle to stay as close to breast feeding.

I didnt know where to post this. We will be giving exclusive breastmilk i just wont be breastfeeding exclusively.

Advertisement

ulawolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 04:08 PM   #2
cobbermama
Registered Users
seller
seller

I guess I'm not educated on the issue enough to determine whether bpa-free plastic or glass is better, but we use Breastflow and occasionally Nuk here and haven't had any issues, so I'd vote just stick with what you did before! I guess you never REALLY know what nipples your babe will/will not tolerate until you start trying. DD doesn't care as long as food is coming out of it.
Old 03-04-2012, 04:31 PM   #3
colin-mylilguy
Registered Users
seller

Re: Glass or pba free plastic?

I've heard that there are other toxins/chemicals in plastics, even that are BPA-free. It was recommended to me to stick with glass but I am no expert. From what I've read, the toxins/chemicals become more unstable and are more likely to be released from the plastic at extreme temperatures of hot or cold. I don't know if it is really a big enough concern to consider only glass bottles or not... Maybe someone else will post some more info about the pros/cons.

For glass bottles, Lifefactory gets really good reviews: http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/AS.../chrisficti-20

Only one review for Be Safe glass bottles: http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/AS.../chrisficti-20

Evenflo gets good reviews (& I think they are the cheapest glass option): http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/AS.../chrisficti-20

Dr. Brown makes a glass bottle but it has a plastic vent piece inside that is in contact with the milk which defeats the purpose of using glass, IMO.

Breastflow is a great bottle for primarily breastfed babies.

Some other options are:

Mam, Tommy Tippee, Adiri, Comotomo and MimiJumi.

The Comotomo gets really good reviews: http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/AS.../chrisficti-20

MimiJumi gets mixed reviews: http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/AS.../chrisficti-20

So does Adiri: http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/re.../dp/B000VUN41G[/url]

I have a IBCLC friend who really likes Adiri, though they are pricey. Breastflow is the cheapest option.

Last edited by colin-mylilguy; 03-04-2012 at 05:11 PM.
colin-mylilguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 04:53 PM   #4
wolffie
Registered Users
seller

I always try to use glass over plastic when possible.
Mama to ds '08, dd '10, due w/#3 5/13! wife to Missing my angels 6/07, 10/07, 3/12
Let's swag! SWAG friends!
wolffie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 05:08 PM   #5
ulawolf
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolffie
I always try to use glass over plastic when possible.
The only thing i notice about glass is their nipples dont seem to look like real nipples and also i dont see many reviews from breastfeeding mamas on how the suction is. Easy or hard. Would prefer a harder suction like breastflow
ulawolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 05:31 PM   #6
colin-mylilguy
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by ulawolf View Post
The only thing i notice about glass is their nipples dont seem to look like real nipples and also i dont see many reviews from breastfeeding mamas on how the suction is. Easy or hard. Would prefer a harder suction like breastflow
From what I've seen in the reviews on the evenflo glass bottles, the slow-flow is still pretty fast.
Old 03-04-2012, 07:36 PM   #7
mamma_z
Registered Users

We use preemie dr brown nipples on the glass evenflow bottles
mamma_z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 11:59 PM   #8
redhairboy
Registered Users

My Mood:

We use born free glass and we love them!
Old 03-05-2012, 12:23 AM   #9
PinkLemonade7503
Registered Users
seller

We're switching to glass this time. We had dr browns last time, but dd1 had major reflux stuff. They seemed to help a lot.

We're cutting plastic out of our home as much as possible in general, so the bottles were a natural next step. I don't even know how much we will use them, bc I am breastfeeding for the first time. Dd1 was adopted and on a special formula. I am curious as to wether there are better nipples for the life factory bottles.

We ordered ours early, and they are really pretty! I love looking at them! We've even tested them by pushing them off of the counter, and they seem really sturdy.
PinkLemonade7503 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 12:32 AM   #10
Nickel+3
Registered Users
Formerly: nickel+2
seller

My Mood:
Watch the movie Plastic Planet on Netflix and you'll never go back to plastic bottles.
#4 due in October!
Nickel+3 is offline   Reply With Quote