Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 03-05-2012, 09:21 PM   #11
Connor
Registered Users
seller

We started solids at 12 months.

Advertisement

Old 03-05-2012, 09:22 PM   #12
colin-mylilguy
Registered Users
seller

Re: For how long did you exclusively breast feed?

LO was EBF till he was 6.5 months. We did baby-led solids and he didn't actually "eat" much until he was closer to 10 months, and even then, it was only like 1/2 oz, maybe an ounce of food per day. He has continued to breastfeed. He has never actually taken a bottle. He does a sippy-straw cup with water, now and drinks maybe 2-4 oz of water a day. Around 12 months he started eating about 3-4 oz per day and now, at 14 months, he is probably eating around 4-5 oz per day. It has been very, very gradual and totally on his terms. And he still loves to nurse.

I think as long as you watch the baby (instead of the calendar) and follow their cues, you can't go wrong. Even if you start solids at a certain age, if your LO isn't ready, its okay to wait and "start" again in a few weeks, or whenever you feel like they might be more interested. Its not a set thing.
Old 03-05-2012, 10:35 PM   #13
Melmonkey
Creator Of The Pixie Skirtie<br>www.hyenacart.com/Melmonkeyszoo
seller
seller

My Mood:

C was EBF until about 9 months, she wanted nothing to do with food until her teeth came in. She is still primarily fed "I Eat" as she calls it and supplements with "bite, bites" (food) C is going to be 18 months on the 23rd.
We are doing BLW
Old 03-05-2012, 11:51 PM   #14
jenncatsmeow
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

DD started solids around 6 months w/ baby food. She continued to nurse until 31 months.
DS1 started solids closer to 9 months, and went right to table food. He continued to nurse until 27 months (weaned during my pregnancy).
DS2 is almost 2 months, still exclusively bf.

None of my children have ever had a drop of formula.
5% off at My HyenaCart with code: DS Momma
jenncatsmeow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 12:29 AM   #15
Sassafras
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

For me, EBF means nothing else (no formula, no solids, no bottles nothing but the boobie ) It varied quite a bit with all 4 of my children. I started my oldest on baby food at 4-5 months because that is what I thought I was "supposed" to do. With each subsequent child I left it more and more up to the baby to decide. By the time my 4th was born I did baby led weaning and would put various foods on her high chair tray and let her decide whether or not to put it in her mouth and eat it. We didn't even make babyfood. Just whatever it was that we were eating. She never had a bottle (went straight to a cup - a regular cup, not even a sippy) and was never "fed" (meaning me putting food on a spoon and putting it into her mouth). Sadly, each of my children only nursed until they were about a year to 14 months old. Was so strange, once they started walking (each before a year) they started to lose interest in nursing and gradually stopped altogether on their own. I guess other things were far more interesting that staring at me while nursing

My 2014 ISO/IHA
Sassafras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 01:44 AM   #16
mjk11
Registered Users

I'm glad to read that other kiddos don't jump on the eating solids fast. My LO is 8 months... And we are still working on solids. Some days are better than others, but he's not the best at it!
mjk11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 03:56 AM   #17
waitingforbaby
Registered Users

Thanks for the responses. I get it now! The variety of answers give a really good picture of how "starting solids" works out in real life.
waitingforbaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 05:40 AM   #18
Dawndelion
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by waitingforbaby View Post
Thanks for the responses. I get it now! The variety of answers give a really good picture of how "starting solids" works out in real life.
Yup, its totally different for each family, and for each child within that family. Good luck with your little one!
Dawndelion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 06:06 AM   #19
adavieau
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I always though ebf meant no formula but I guess technically you are right. In that case I ebf dd until six months and started solids (she was not a fan so we backed off and waited until closer to eight months). I went on to nurse her until sixteen months when I got pg with ds1. I ebf ds1 until five months and started solids (he was a fan) and I went on to nurse him until fourteen months when I got pg with ds2. I ebf ds2 until six months when we started solids, he like them as well and I'm still nursing him at 9 months...
adavieau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 09:05 AM   #20
azsuma1
Registered Users

My Mood:

We ebf until about 6.5 months, then started some solids. he dislikes purees, but now at 11mo eats a good deal of solids (fruit, veggie, beans, etc) at our meal times.