Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 03-05-2012, 02:49 PM   #1
carolineb
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
toddler nursing/supply?

So, ds is 11 months (will be 1 on March 25 - can't believe I've made it this far!)

Anyway, he's REALLY at that "drive by nursing" stage. I can hardly get him to sit down long enough to really nurse and get those good gulps unless it's early am (last night he slept all night, other than a brief 11:45pm wake up but DH settled him back down by rocking) He slept from 8pm-5am. I nursed him at 5 and he played/nursed until going back to sleep around 6:30 until 8am when he nursed again.

So, my supply question is how do I get him to get back to those good nursing sessions several times a day? Right now I am letting him do whatever since I took sudafed (which didn't help my congestion AT ALL). Whenever he nurses he seems to be working pretty hard but not getting a good let down each time. Many times he doesn't even wait for a let down, he lets go and crawls off.

I've tried nursing in a dark, quiet room like before a nap and that doesn't settle him at all. He rarely nurses before a nap. He will nurse better after a nap, but not always.

I'm okay with weaning if that's what he wants, but he seems to want to nurse, so I'm okay with going on as long as he wants. However, I wouldn't mind putting limits on the "drive by's". I can barely sit on the floor without him coming over and lifting my shirt! But, he also does the same thing to DH, so does it really mean he wants to nurse or what?

How do I get to nursing him several times a day without it really messing with the supply? I know lots of mamas nurse their toddlers and older children only 1-2 times a day so how does that work? It just seems like right now he nurses a lot, but doesn't get much. He eats table food really well and I always offer nursing first, but sometimes it seems he gets frustrated with it so I give him solids and he gobbles it up. Ten minutes later on the floor, he's lifting my shirt. So, I have no idea what this behavior is and how to get us on a little more predictable pattern, yet still allowing him some freedom with nursing on his terms, without it driving me crazy!

Advertisement

Old 03-05-2012, 03:14 PM   #2
kocho
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: toddler nursing/supply?

If he's not nursing, you'll need to pump to keep up your supply. The sudafed will lower your supply as well.

Have you tried a necklace or something to keep him occupied at the breast?

My Avon Earn giftcards with Swagbucks My Blog - Change Jar Blog
kocho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 04:03 PM   #3
carolineb
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I'm not taking sudafed anymore, I just took one dose Friday and one dose Saturday. I keep offering to nurse and will let him nurse anytime he pulls at my shirt, but he just keeps doing a few little sucks and then crawls off.

I can't figure out if he's losing interest in nursing or if the supply is down, causing him to not want to work for it. Whatever he decides is fine, but I don't want to do these quick few sucks every 10 minutes all day long.
Old 03-05-2012, 07:54 PM   #4
RunawayBunny
Registered Users
seller
seller

When my son was 6months old, i took sudafed twice and it permanently cut my supply down by a third. I took fenugrek for a while and then tried power pumping and could never get my supply back up. Luckily i had been pumping extra for donation so we didnt need that last third that dried up, but long story short... it could be that you dont have as big of supply so the letdown is slower. It could be he is weaning.

If it were me, i would wait longer to see what he does before trying to get on a pattern again. If it is your supply, there are foods you can take to improve letdown and you can always try expressing a little before letting him latch. If he is just losing interest... ds has done that 8 times and at 2 years still nurses on do you little guy may grow back into it!
Old 03-05-2012, 08:50 PM   #5
colin-mylilguy
Registered Users
seller

Kellymom.com has some great advice on "nursing manners": http://www.kellymom.com/bf/older-baby/nursing-manners.html

I am a pretty laid back mama and I do not mind nursing LO whenever he wants, but when he says he wants to nurse, I expect him to nurse. I have always had very forceful let-downs and I don't enjoy spraying milk everywhere. From early on, I very gently and consistently let LO know that he needed to nurse when he asked for it and we don't do the off and on stuff.

Some days he will nurse 14+ times during the day time and other days he will only nurse 3-4 times. I usually lay down in our dark, quiet bedroom to nurse him and he nurses much better this way. I'd really focus on clear expectations with your LO and gently guide his behavior to be what is acceptable to you. I don't scold my LO, but I do use a calm, serious voice when he is doing things that I don't appreciate and he will stop. Be firm and consistent; babies are smarter than we think and he will learn what is acceptable within the breastfeeding relationship. It is, after all, a relationship.

Also, 11 months is kinda a funny time with breastfeeding. You may notice that things change in the next month or two, completely. You may even be surprised that he nurses more. You never know. Its always evolving and changing. I'd say, just be flexible and go with it.
Old 03-06-2012, 09:59 AM   #6
colin-mylilguy
Registered Users
seller

I just found this on kellymom.com while looking for something else. I thought it might be helpful/useful for you. Scroll down a little to the part about "acrobatics".
Old 03-07-2012, 10:37 PM   #7
cdeweese
Registered Users
Formerly: New cloth lover
seller
seller

My Mood:

Your son's bday is two days after my son's I was nursing my DS after he woke up, and before bed/nap times. So it usually worked out to four times a day. He also had two meals and snacked when his sister did. Now he only nurses in the morning and before bed. I had two weeks worth of frozen milk he used and now he's transitioning to whole milk during the day. I love nursing, so hopefully he stays with it for a while longer
Old 03-08-2012, 11:08 PM   #8
Willum'smom
Registered Users
seller

Around that age (10-11) months I thought DS was weaning because he would do the drive by nursings too. I figured out that if I stimulated let-down manually before latching him that he would stay interrested in the feeding. If my let down took two minutes he would be done and off to the next adventure before he was really full. I will say that DS has increased the length of most of his nursings since then. He loves the morning, before bed, and after work nursings. They are his favorite.
Old 03-09-2012, 03:28 AM   #9
DalesWidda
Registered Users
Formerly: savmaralamommy
seller

My Mood:

For a while around that age I thought my littlest one was done too. Then she went back to nursing like a newborn. Now at almost three, she will nurse every time I sit down if I let her! But I will say that she isn't nursing so much for milk as for comfort, which is fine by me. She gets enough nutrition from other foods now. So now I nurse her for sure every morning when she wakes up, every day before naptime and right before bed. Those are the "for sure" nursing sessions. Now add about three more random ones in there. So she still nurses about six times a day. I don't think she's ready to give it up any time soon. If you are worried about your supply, try taking a few supplements like Fenugreek, Brewer's Yeast, throw a little flaxseed meal on everything (yogurt, cereal, oatmeal, etc). Pump whenever possible. And just follow his cues. He is probably just super curious about the world and wants to check it all out. He'll settle back down.

Oh and congrats for going this long. Way to go mama!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 03-09-2012, 03:30 AM   #10
DalesWidda
Registered Users
Formerly: savmaralamommy
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willum'smom View Post
Around that age (10-11) months I thought DS was weaning because he would do the drive by nursings too. I figured out that if I stimulated let-down manually before latching him that he would stay interrested in the feeding. If my let down took two minutes he would be done and off to the next adventure before he was really full. I will say that DS has increased the length of most of his nursings since then. He loves the morning, before bed, and after work nursings. They are his favorite.
ooh great advice. I've noticed that my dd will keep switching sides if she isn't getting milk right away so I will often stimulate until I see some milk. In fact she thinks it's hilarious because she often gets squirted in the eye then and she laughs hysterically! LOL