Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 03-07-2012, 06:19 PM   #1
drkelli
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Please tell me to keep going

I sometimes wanna stop bfing. I work only 3 days a week but am gone 10 hrs a day. When i come home the baby wants me all the time and i have 3 other kiddos to take care of. Pumping at work sucks cuz I gotta pump in a tiny bathroom sitting on the toilet. And my freezer stash is just about gone. I just needed to vent. I'm sad about my stash. I don't see how it's almost gone. I can pump at least 15 ozs at work.

This is a mess of a thread, sorry :/

Advertisement

Old 03-07-2012, 06:30 PM   #2
songbird516
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Please tell me to keep going

I hated pumping, so I know what you mean about that- and I didn't even have to do it in a bathroom!

I'll just say it- it's worth it for the health of your baby to keep going. She's still very young, and stopping at this point could really set her immune system back. Not to mention that you don't know how/if she will tolerate formula, so finding one that works the best could be very difficult and very expensive. Even if she takes to one right away, it will definitely be more expensive than breastfeeding.

Are you able to nurse in a sling or carrier? I see that you have several other children, so you've probably tried that before. Also, she's still little and very needy, but that stage won't last forever. And is there any way that you can enlist more help from the other kids in keeping her distracted?

I guess my point is that you have these challenges now, but they will pass. Stopping breastfeeding altogether will bring another set of challenges, probably, but you might not be able to go back once you make that decision. It might seem easier now to stop, but in the long run it's best for her to keep breastfeeding. I'm sure you know that, but sometimes it's just good to be reminded.

just to add, if I ever could not breastfeed, I wouldn't use a commercial formula, but the Weston A Price Foundation homemade formula. Sourcing the materials would be expensive, but it is not processed and much closer to breastmilk than any formula in a can or bottle. It's a living food that will continue to positively feed the immune system.
Old 03-07-2012, 06:31 PM   #3
songbird516
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

dp

Last edited by songbird516; 03-07-2012 at 07:02 PM.
songbird516 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 06:39 PM   #4
Ebeuchat
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Keep going mama! I had the same situation about the bathroom. I could only pump once a day when i was teaching but had to get 15-16 oz too. I also have other kids so i feel your divided time crunch! Hang in there! you can do it!
Old 03-07-2012, 06:49 PM   #5
OHIOFIFI
Registered Users
seller
seller

I am in the same boat with a dwindling freezer stash and having to get 15-20oz pumped each work day. I HATE feeling so stressed about it and worrying if we are going to have to start supplementing with formula. I started fenugreek the other day to see if it will up my supply and help me restock my freezer stash. Today was my 1st day pumping since I started 2 days ago and I got almost 10oz out of one 15 min session so I am hopeful. I am only able to pump twice so hopefully I will do just as well if not better on the next session. Good luck to you
Old 03-07-2012, 07:02 PM   #6
colin-mylilguy
Registered Users
seller

If your LO is away from your for 10 hours, she should be getting about 10 oz of milk during that time. If you are away for 12 hours, it should be 12 hours that she gets. She should not be taking 15 ounces in a 10 hour period (except maybe during a growth spurt for 3-4 days, max). You need to talk to whoever is feeding your LO and discuss how to bottle feed the breastfed baby. That will take a lot of stress off of your shoulders to get that under control.

Kellymom has some great info on bottle feeding the breastfed baby: http://www.kellymom.com/bf/pumping/bottle-feeding.html

As far as taking care of your LO's needs while caring for your other children, do you wear your baby? That gives a lot of babies comfort and a lot of mamas freedom. A good wrap would work well, or a RS so you can pop LO in and out as needed.

I know you must be feeling really overwhelmed right now (and we all need to vent sometimes! ) but if you can hang in there, it will be so worth it! This is just a phase and won't last long. Things are always changing and in a little bit, you may find that things have settled down and you feel you are in more of a rhythm that you can manage better. You are doing a great job, Mama! Hang in there!
Old 03-07-2012, 07:21 PM   #7
calapitters
Registered Users

My Mood:
You are doing great!!! Keep going, mama! Pumping stinks, but you can do this! Fix yourself up some sort of hands free thingamabob and pump in the car on the way to and from work. Now you are safely distracted from your pump and are pumping in a more pleasant place.
Old 03-07-2012, 07:43 PM   #8
drkelli
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Thank you. Some very good ideas. I told DH that I thought they were feeding her too much and he disagreed!
Old 03-07-2012, 07:47 PM   #9
Hopper Graphics
Registered Users
Formerly:PurlyQ
seller
seller

My Mood:

I've totally been there, and it is so hard. You are doing a great job, mama. I second the babywearing at home. I really love our beco butterfly 2. I can back wrap, but I prefer the ease of the beco with my wild wiggler. She gets her mama time, and I can get my housework done!

Allison - mama to Olivia and baby Nora my Valentine's day VBAC!
Hopper Graphics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 08:29 PM   #10
colin-mylilguy
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by drkelli View Post
Thank you. Some very good ideas. I told DH that I thought they were feeding her too much and he disagreed!
Babies, especially young infants, have a strong desire to suck. If the flow of milk coming from the bottle is so fast that they can drink the whole bottle in less than 5 minutes, they may be taking more than they really need because they really want to suck. I bottle feed a breastfed baby and if I put 4 oz in a medium flow bottle, she will down it all in less than 5 minutes and sometimes even whimper like she wants more. However, if I put 2.5 oz in a bottle with a slow flow nipple, she will take about 10-15 minutes to finish the bottle and will push it away, sometimes with a few milliliters left in the bottle. The difference is pacing her with the right feeding method and a slow flow nipple so she can comfort suck but not over-eat. I also feed her about every 2 hours, like she would eat if she was breastfeeding. Breastmilk empties from the stomach faster than formula, so even if you give them a lot at once, they will be hungry again soon because breastmilk digests quickly. That's why it is helpful to understand how feeding a breastfed baby is different from feeding a formula/bottle fed baby. Hopefully that explains things better.

If your DH insists on feeding her so much, I'd tell him he can pull more weight with the household chores and other kiddos so you have time to pump more.

The baby that I watch only takes about an ounce per hour that her Mama is away. She only nurses a couple times at night and is gaining weight like she should and growing normally. She is very happy and content when she is with me but if she ever wants more, she lets me know and I get her more. Babies are smart and they let us know what they need.

Last edited by colin-mylilguy; 03-07-2012 at 08:33 PM.
colin-mylilguy is offline   Reply With Quote