Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 03-07-2012, 09:23 PM   #1
beckers99
Registered Users
seller

Only nurses 4 minutes?

My little guy started dropping his feeding times a couple of months ago.. now at 5 months, he's down to 4 minutes per feeding. He's gaining weight fine, and having plenty of wet/poopy diapers.. but he doesn't seem satisfied after feedings. He usually stops nursing by crying and fussing. He's been doing this for so long, and I always told myself that it's fine.. I've always been told that babies know how to nurse, and it's okay if baby is a fast eater... but the other day I read something about knowing that LO is eating well if he is sleepy after a feed...
Uhh.. never. He's just angry and crying. I can't imagine that it's the letdown that bothers him-- I see him gulping usually about 1 minute into the feeding, and I think he likes the fast flow-- maybe he gets frustrated when it slows?! But no matter what I do, he refuses to continue nursing.

He also wants to nurse every 2 to 2.5 hours. I've been told to train him to go longer, but I really don't think that's natural... Any suggestions or experience?!

Advertisement

beckers99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 09:46 PM   #2
mibarra
Registered Users
seller

Sounds like my DD. She started teething around that time. Could that be the case?
mibarra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 09:50 PM   #3
cdeweese
Registered Users
Formerly: New cloth lover
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Only nurses 4 minutes?

After I got mastitis twice, I had my son wait three hours between feedings. He was much more satisfied afterward and I didn't have anymore infections before that my son would "snack" and was constantly fussy, never slept for more than 30 minutes during the day. Do you feel empty after a feeding? That was a great indicator for me as to whether he was snacking or actually eating. Hope you can figure this out soon, I love nursing! My son is trying to wean and I'm so sad
Old 03-07-2012, 09:55 PM   #4
Laurshar
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Maybe reflux? Does he spit up more than you have had experience with in other babies? If not, it still could be silent reflux.
I would suggest trying new nursing positions.
My DD is a fast eater as well. Many times when she is fussing after a feeding it is because she gulped it down so quickly that she needs to burp, quickly.
If he could be teething, and does have some sort of reflux, it could be a combination of those things: babies with sore gums get cranky during feedings, and babies who are teething produce more saliva, which in turn produces more stomach acid, which can cause gas and discomfort.
Just a few thoughts! Hth!
Lauren, mama to C & D, owner of Triquetra. Currently TTC baby #3! My ISO/IHA
Laurshar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 05:59 AM   #5
lilmomma83
Registered Users

Does he need to burp or poop? Could he be distracted or bored? I think it's possibly (especialyl if you have oversupply) that he has become a very efficient nurser and may be full. Also, sleepiness can be a sign of being full but it can also be a sign of not having enough...so him being so awake after feedings would not be a concern. He could be frustrated when the milk slows (does his twist his head or squeeze your breast while still sucking hard?) You could try compressing your breast as the milk slows to see if that helps...it will make the milk flow a little faster. I also agree that teething could be an issue...I think sometimes they feel uncomfortable because of it and also it changes the way they nurse a little. Has he had any other issues like ilness (ear infections/stuffy nose/anything)? Sometimes that can have an effect too. Hoep you get it worked out!
lilmomma83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 06:47 AM   #6
bcb1961
Registered Users
seller
seller

Is that 4 minutes total or 4 minutes per side?
bcb1961 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 01:10 AM   #7
beckers99
Registered Users
seller

It's 4 minutes total.. I can only breastfeed from my right breast due to a medical condition.
He does spit up an awful lot and always has. It just gushes out after many feelings. Because he's such a chunky guy (19 lbs), I always assumed reflux couldn't be possible.

I don't think it's pooping or distraction, because he always does this. The only time he eats longer (about 7-10 mins) at night when he falls asleep soon after beginning to nurse.

He hasn't been sick, but I think he's teething. He has been chewing on things for months and drooling through all his bibs.

I've tried making him go longer between feeds, but he still eats the same amount. Maybe he did just learn to nurse fast because I was only able to nurse from one side, and thus have strong flow from that side.
beckers99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 02:24 AM   #8
doulamomma
Registered Users
seller
seller

My oldest only nursed 5-7 min and only on one side art each feeding. I have a very sterling let down and she was just very efficient.

Sent from my galaxy tab using DS Forum
Old 03-10-2012, 05:48 AM   #9
kwaii_amaranth
Registered Users
seller

My 5.5 month old is also a very fast and frequent nurser. I have a fast letdown so I think she just learned to be really efficient. I think sometimes she gets frustrated from the slow flow at the end of feeds, but if I do some breast massage she will keep eating for another minute or so occassionally.

Also, if he is spitting up a lot after feeds could it be a combination of fast letdown and a sensitivity to something in your milk? I had both oversupply, and LO had cow milk protein sensitivities at the same time. When I cut out dairy out of my diet her spitting up decreased substantially within a week (she wasn't spitting up little amounts either, I'm talking her bawling while she spewed half a feed). When my suply began to regulate she spit up even less. And now she is much more content after feeds. Just a thought...

Last edited by kwaii_amaranth; 03-10-2012 at 05:49 AM.
kwaii_amaranth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 05:56 AM   #10
lifesaturtle
Registered Users
seller

My son ate every two hours until around 11 months. He also kept eating for less and less time. Babies get really efficient after a few months and can eat ounces of milk in only a coupe of minutes.
lifesaturtle is offline   Reply With Quote