Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!
Old 03-08-2012, 01:00 PM   #1
My Mood:
Another BF poop question: rash?

My son is 6wks old, and has the loose yellow, seedy stools. Anyways, he almost constantly has a red bum. We change him about every 30 mins or so, applying CJ's BuTTer each time, because he always has wet-fart like poops constantly. If we sleep any longer than the 30 mins at night, the rash is worse by morning. We've bathed him and let him dry really well time after time, but it's still there. Is that normal? Is it maybe a sensitivity to something I'm eating? Is there anything else we can try besides the CJ's butter, that won't ruin cloth diapers?

Destiny, mama of 5
Miciah(11) Kaydence(10) Devon(6) Dylan (3) &
Paxton (1/20/15)
Mama_Destiny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 01:14 PM   #2
Poet Laureate

That has some great info on different types of diaper rash and how to treat each type. An allergy or sensitivity rash is usually a "red ring around the anus" and it doesn't respond to creams until you have eliminated the allergen. Ds had one that blistered by 2 weeks old and we learned he is allergic to dairy, soy, eggs and gluten.

If it is an allergy or even just a very persistent rash, hydrocortisone cream works miracles. However it is a steroid cream so you don't want to over use it.

I find that cj's works great as a barrier cream, but not until the rash is 100% cleared.

Last edited by theonenonlymrssmith; 03-08-2012 at 01:16 PM.
theonenonlymrssmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 03:42 PM   #3
Registered Users
Re: Another BF poop question: rash?

could it be an issue with the dipes? Are they rinsed completely or are you using enough detergent to really clean them? My DS had an issue with a rash that completely went away after I strip my dipes and then changed up my washing routine -- I wasn't using enough detergent to get them clean.
Faith - WOHM to DD born 10/2006 DS born 8/2011 :
OHIOFIFI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 07:12 AM   #4
Registered Users
My Mood:
What the pp said, and the fact that they poop every 2 seconds. My newborn had constant rash for the first 6-8 weeks. Once she started pooping less frequently it went away. Another problem I had was not using enough and the right detergent. We use tide free and gentle. Baking soda baths and air helped too. HTH!
MamaZnR is offline   Reply With Quote