Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 03-09-2012, 11:43 AM   #1
clothrookie3
Registered Users
seller

Help me!! I think im drying up and ds is only 7 mo:(

DS has been CRANKY to say the least for about 2-3 days now. He had the pediarix vaccine (DTap,Hep B, Polio) Tuesday and ran fever all the day and Wednesday and yesterday and today he's ONLY wanted me and to nurse almost every 1.5-2hrs. I pumped to see how much milk he's taking in (he only nurses one side at a time) and I pumped 3/4 an ounce!! Please help! I don't want to switch to formula he's only taken a bottle 8ish times and most of the time refuses it. We just started solids once a day (lunchtime) and he eats about 1/2 a stage 2 jar. He weighed 17.9 at his checkup. He even woke up about every 2 hours through the night last night

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum

Advertisement

clothrookie3 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 11:50 AM   #2
jenncatsmeow
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Help me!! I think im drying up and ds is only 7 mo:(

How much you pump is never an indication of how much your child is taking in. A better indicator is the number of wet/poopy diapers in a day. If he's just been vaxed, of course he'll want the comfort of nursing from you more often.

If you're worried about your suppy, stay hydrated (a little mother's milk tea never hurts) and eat some oatmeal. His demand should also bump your supply up.

5% off at My HyenaCart with code: DS Momma
jenncatsmeow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 11:50 AM   #3
mamamanya
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I have heard great things about taking fenugreek to help boost supply....google it. It is available at most health food/whole foods type stores. also drink lots and lots of water!
Old 03-09-2012, 12:08 PM   #4
clothrookie3
Registered Users
seller

We use cloth diapers so idk if the 6-8 wet/poopy diapers apply there too but he usually wets maybe 8 times a day a poops about every 3-4 days.

Old 03-09-2012, 12:27 PM   #5
amazon_jane21
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
I assume that since he just got shots and started solids, he is around 6 months? If so, he may simply be going through a growth spurt and should get back to normal within a week. But yes, 5 dipes is the minimum rec for sposies, and 6 for cloth. All you need is 1 poop, so it sounds like you are doing fine. Just keep nursing on demand and things will level out soon.
I also second pp who noted that pumping output does not equal baby's intake - there are a lot of factors that go into that, but suffice it to say some moms can nurse twins and not pump an ounce. Just take a deep breath and remember that this too shall pass
amazon_jane21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 12:34 PM   #6
clothrookie3
Registered Users
seller

Yes he's 7 months on the 12th

Old 03-09-2012, 02:53 PM   #7
Wholemom
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenncatsmeow View Post
How much you pump is never an indication of how much your child is taking in. A better indicator is the number of wet/poopy diapers in a day. If he's just been vaxed, of course he'll want the comfort of nursing from you more often.

If you're worried about your suppy, stay hydrated (a little mother's milk tea never hurts) and eat some oatmeal. His demand should also bump your supply up.

This is so true. Your baby is way more effective at getting milk from your breast than any pump. I can't tell you how many time I have pumped ten ounces of milk thinking I was empty and then nurse my baby and she gets me to let down within seconds! Also if your DS is nursing around the clock like you say he is it isn't surprising that you are yeilding less milk at the pump. He could also be having a growth spurt and yhr constant nursing helps to regulate your supply everything should even out in a couple of days. Just keep nursing on demand.
Wholemom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 03:31 PM   #8
kocho
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I agree with all these mamas. If the baby is nursing like that you have plenty of milk. No pump is efficient as the baby. How do his dirty diapers look? Yellow and seedy? If he's not getting enough they would be more brown then yellow. Weight gain, lots of time at the breast and diapers are the best way to tell.

My Avon Earn giftcards with Swagbucks My Blog - Change Jar Blog
kocho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 03:40 PM   #9
FindingMercy
Registered Users
Formerly: Evie'sMama
seller

My Mood:

Don't let how much you pump be an indicator for you. I am pumping daily right now to keep up my supply for when we adopt so that I can nurse our adopted baby. I will pump with a hospital grade pump for 20 minutes doing breast compressions, waiting until I'm beyond empty to stop, etc. As soon as I finish this and getting every last possible drop out that I can, my DD will latch on and within 2 minutes she is GULPING. No joke. Babies do so much more than pumps. Just keep nursing him when he's hungry.

I blog about our family, trans-racial adoption, gluten-free cooking, and crafting

FindingMercy is offline   Reply With Quote