Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 03-11-2012, 01:53 PM   #11
jessicalev8
Registered Users
seller

Re: severe itching

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliRoll View Post
Yup, typical response. I went to L&D at 37w with DD and a doctor never even came into the room. The nurse admitted it was probably cholestasis "but you need to suck it up because it's too early to give birth." DD came on her own at 37w4d. I'm very thankful that my body took over and did what needed to be done.

The best advice I can give is to print info on cholestasis from web sites like the March of Dimes and ItchyMoms.com and head in to either L&D or the ER. They can at least run the liver function tests. If it is cholestasis, 37 weeks is entering the danger zone, especially if its uncontrolled and untreated.

In the meantime, guzzle water like its going out of style, no fried foods, no fatty foods, and maybe grab some milk thistle from CVS.

And if its not cholestasis, at least you got it checked and ruled out, kwim?

ETA: When is your next NST? Did you specifically mention cholestasis when you called or just that you were itching? You may need to up the ante and tell them you haven't felt the baby move in awhile, even if it isn't true. Sometimes you have to play dirty.
i didnt mention it, i just said i was itching and hoped they would bring it up lol. we are going to the er and im gonna take some info with me.

my next nst is on tue.. baby hasnt been moving much, she doesnt really move at all unless i push on her. shes been very lazy.

Advertisement

Old 03-11-2012, 01:57 PM   #12
CaliRoll
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessicalev8

i didnt mention it, i just said i was itching and hoped they would bring it up lol. we are going to the er and im gonna take some info with me.

my next nst is on tue.. baby hasnt been moving much, she doesnt really move at all unless i push on her. shes been very lazy.
They won't bring it up. It's not common and a lot of OB and their staff haven't heard of it. I've never met anyone else IRL that have or had it, but there are a lot of mamas on DS who have.

Don't let the docs or nurses blow you off. Be firm and tell them you aren't leaving without an NST and liver function test. Be very specific about being tested for cholestasis. You have to be your own best advocate on this one.

Please keep us/me updated. You're in my thoughts and prayers!
CaliRoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 03:29 PM   #13
bluedaisyma
Registered Users
seller

I itch all the time but it's not PUPPS or cholestasis. My only symptoms are crazy itching. I did get a rash with it but it's like heat rash- under my boobs and stomach. And where my hair hits my neck, I scratch all night. I used coconut oil at night and baby powder during the day. For some reason, the rash is going away and I don't itch as much (I am 27 wks) but I do have itching with no rash as well, like my palms. It's annoying.
Old 03-11-2012, 03:52 PM   #14
dmj
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I had pupps, but a few weeks after I had ds#2. He was a few weeks early, so at first they thought it was a reaction to something like laundry soap. The dr. put me on steroids and that helped a lot, but since I had already had the baby it is different than your case. The dr. said they don't often see pupps after pregnancy, lucky me! I feel for you! Keep on them until they figure it out, so you don't end up with a secondary infection from the scratching. I know it is impossible not to. Maybe wear dress gloves???a
dmj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 04:26 PM   #15
weareblessed
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
I had the same thing happen with my 3rd pregnancy! I was 36 weeks and literally scratched until I was bleeding!

My OB said take Benedryl. It only helped for like 10 min... I delivered 4 days later. I think it was due to the stress from all the itching. My son ended up in NICU for 30 days cause his lungs were not developed and he ended up getting an infection. But he was ok! I am expecting #6now. I have never had that insane itching with any other of my pregnancies. I hope you find relief soon .

Christian, Homeschooling Momma to Zoe 14, Noah 12, Jonah 10, and :wave2: Luke 6....and Ella Claire 2 ! I love my family!!!!!
weareblessed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 04:28 PM   #16
magdalynaa
Registered Users
seller

I had a friend with PUPPS. The itching so bad that even Ambien wasn't helping her sleep at night. I felt so bad for her. She was induced at 37 weeks, I think.
magdalynaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 07:48 PM   #17
jessicalev8
Registered Users
seller

im home from the er and got no answers. they ran a test on my liver and it came back normal so they said its not chloestasis. they gave me benadryl and a steroid, none of which worked. my feet and hands are itching even more now!! i cant stand it omg. plus my bp was high 169/98 154/99 155/98 and im swollen as hell. the er and l&d shrugged it off and said those bps are just borderline.

im getting a little annoyed.
Old 03-11-2012, 08:23 PM   #18
CaliRoll
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessicalev8
im home from the er and got no answers. they ran a test on my liver and it came back normal so they said its not chloestasis. they gave me benadryl and a steroid, none of which worked. my feet and hands are itching even more now!! i cant stand it omg. plus my bp was high 169/98 154/99 155/98 and im swollen as hell. the er and l&d shrugged it off and said those bps are just borderline.

im getting a little annoyed.
Get some milk thistle, guzzle water, and call your OB first thing in the morning. Sarna lotion takes the edge off the itch but it can be tough to find. I'm lucky that our local Super Target carries it.

Did they do the NST and at least confirm baby is ok?
Old 03-11-2012, 08:36 PM   #19
jessicalev8
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliRoll View Post
Get some milk thistle, guzzle water, and call your OB first thing in the morning. Sarna lotion takes the edge off the itch but it can be tough to find. I'm lucky that our local Super Target carries it.

Did they do the NST and at least confirm baby is ok?
if im still itching tomorrow i am definitley giving the ob a call because its unbearable. im not sure how im going to sleep tonight

they did an nst and she seems to be doing fine, thankfully! but im still worried about her.
Old 03-11-2012, 09:03 PM   #20
CaliRoll
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessicalev8 View Post
if im still itching tomorrow i am definitley giving the ob a call because its unbearable. im not sure how im going to sleep tonight

they did an nst and she seems to be doing fine, thankfully! but im still worried about her.
The itch is worst at night. I didn't itch a ton this morning but as the day wears on it's getting worse, and that's WITH being on medication. Try cool showers and ice packs. Baths may dry your skin out so skip those.

Even if you just itch a little bit in the morning, call your OB office and tell them specifically that you want to be tested for cholestasis. Make sure it's the bile salt test. Mine took about 3 days to come back. They did it last Tuesday afternoon and it was back Friday afternoon.

At 37weeks, even without the test results, ask them to start you on Actigall/Urso, just for safety sake. I'm glad you're already getting NSTs on a regular basis.

I really hope you don't have ICP! I wouldn't wish it on anyone. It just really bugs me that it's not taken more seriously by doctors and medical staff. If they tested for it more often, they'd probably find it's not nearly as rare as they think it is. The problem is that they don't test for it so of course they're not finding it. Can't find what you're not looking for, right? I would bet a lot of stillbirths are the result of ICP and they just aren't counted as such because mom's itching was blown off as normal.

I wish you the best!!