Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 03-27-2012, 07:09 PM   #41
KatrinaLoves
Registered Users
seller
seller

Re: Why do women like to scare each other about labor?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaChellsRun View Post

It doesn't bother me when women ask to share and honestly most birth stories don't scare me anymore because I'm better educated. My friends sharing their birth story in a spirit of this is what happened to me and I need to share it with friend, I'll happily listen to. It's the women in the stores that seem to pounce on me to share how they almost died that I really don't appreciate. I have enough stress to bombarded with strangers telling me their horror stories! So to me, it depends on WHO it is coming from and their demeanor... like someone telling me something about a terrible mw that they had and what to look out for... ya know?
Definitely. The middle-aged woman working the register at Home Depot asked if I was having a boy or girl. When I told her twin boys, she instantly got excited. Apparently she had 2 sets of twin.... like 30 years ago. She proceeded to warn me that I needed to get my gardening done now, because I will be on bedrest soon, and that I need to prepare while I can for everything that comes along with fragile premature babies.

Um, thanks for the vote of confidence based on one person's antiquated experiences.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liadan23 View Post
the thing that bothered me though, was all the random people being like "omg! you want to go natural?! hilarious. call me when you get the epi, you will for sure" that irritated me. the same people usually greeted me after ds was born with something along the lines of "so you got the epi right? i knew you would, no one can hold out" me: "um, no, i didn't get one, it was fine" most people are shocked, some make fun of me for playing the matyr for no reason. .
Overall, that's what I think I find hardest - people attempting, often tactlessly (bordering on rudeness), to limit another person based on their own experiences. All labors and mothers are different.

Advertisement

KatrinaLoves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 09:00 PM   #42
Almacham
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Why do women like to scare each other about labor?

I have no idea why people say these things. It's tough not to say something back.