Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 03-12-2012, 03:01 PM   #1
Harmony96
Administrator
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:
5-month-old w/ reflux been on a nursing strike his whole life, mom's supply dropping

Posting about a friend's situation. This is her second baby, second time breastfeeding. First nursing relationship went wonderful. This baby, though, has reflux, and even when he's hungry, he fusses at the breast and only will stay for about 15-20 seconds, over and over again. Mom is also pumping some, too, and her pumping output continues to get lower and lower as the weeks go on (partly because baby won't just sit there and nurse until there is a letdown... he seems to get frustrated that there isn't milk there RIGHT AWAY). He does take a bottle just fine but doesn't have those very often. She is taking some blessed thistle and fenugreek tea to help increase her supply, and it is helping some, but baby continues to fuss at the breast. It's like he's had a nursing strike for his whole life. Does anyone have any tips I can pass along to her?

Advertisement

I'm also a Younique presenter. Click here for naturally-based beauty care!
Harmony96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 08:20 PM   #2
LaughingPeaMama
Registered Users
Formerly: RedShoes
seller

Re: 5-month-old w/ reflux been on a nursing strike his whole life, mom's supply dropp

Is he in medication? If not then I would start there. If he is then I would ask about switching or adding a med. my lo has reflux and we started with Zantac which is an acid reducer but she said we may have to add a pump inhibitor like Prevacid If it didn't get better. There is also a special reflux pillow that my Brest friend is supposed to have that props them up 30 degrees to help with feedings. She might try pumping until letdown then nursing.
Wife to my soulmate since 7/12/03 mom to dd 2/9/09 and ds 1/5/12 and angel baby 10/07. Infertility survivor!ISO(willing to trade my FSOT items for) snapped unpaper towels EEEEUC or NEW heavy/long mama cloth
FSOT NOTE: SMOKE FREE DOG FRIENDLY HOME. EVERYTHING IS LINT BRUSHED BUT STRAY HAIRS WILL BE FOUND. IF THIS BOTHERS YOU DON'T FSOT WITH ME PLEASE

Last edited by LaughingPeaMama; 03-12-2012 at 08:22 PM.
LaughingPeaMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 08:23 PM   #3
LaughingPeaMama
Registered Users
seller

Re: 5-month-old w/ reflux been on a nursing strike his whole life, mom's supply dropp

Oh and I will always suggest domperidone for supply issues I never had much luck with fenugreek even after smelling like funky pancakes and I'm allergic to
Blessed thistle
Wife to my soulmate since 7/12/03 mom to dd 2/9/09 and ds 1/5/12 and angel baby 10/07. Infertility survivor!ISO(willing to trade my FSOT items for) snapped unpaper towels EEEEUC or NEW heavy/long mama cloth
FSOT NOTE: SMOKE FREE DOG FRIENDLY HOME. EVERYTHING IS LINT BRUSHED BUT STRAY HAIRS WILL BE FOUND. IF THIS BOTHERS YOU DON'T FSOT WITH ME PLEASE
Old 03-12-2012, 08:54 PM   #4
Harmony96
Administrator
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:

No meds right now. Zantac didn't work for him at all and Prevacid no longer comes in a form he can take. She's tried different nursing positions (I've even suggested sitting up, facing her, straddling her lap) and he does the same thing in all of them.
Old 03-14-2012, 10:39 AM   #5
LaughingPeaMama
Registered Users
seller

Why can't he take Prevacid. I know I had to get it at a
Compounding pharmacy but it would be worth it. She might also try giving him a bit or cereal right before or right after nursing to make the food contents heavier
Old 03-14-2012, 12:12 PM   #6
momof3boys1girl
No Longer Here

My Mood:

What form does it come in now? It should still come in disprovable pills which tay started at 3 weeks and had till he was a year and i believe heather son is on it as well in the same form. It is the ONLY thing that worked for him and i used a hazelwood necklace too and just nursed often and propped. If his weight and output is good id stop the bottles bc that is just gonna make it worse. There is lactation support and more milk plus you can get for decently priced off amazon. She can look up reflux on kellymom as well. It says reflux is usually some form of intolerance so maybe if she taking in a lot of something like dairy to lower it and see if it helps the reflux.
momof3boys1girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 12:12 PM   #7
momof3boys1girl
No Longer Here

My Mood:

OH and def if she isnt doing one start a probiotic in a powder form and just rub on the tongue before nursing. It will help with digestion
momof3boys1girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 12:21 PM   #8
JustAugust
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

He can have Prilosec too. Have them try that. Honestly, without meds, it's probably not going to get better. He's miserable and in pain and eating makes that worse for him. Poor thing.
Old 03-14-2012, 12:22 PM   #9
Harmony96
Administrator
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:

She's been pumping to help increase her supply, too, and that seems to be working. She told me that they went to the zoo the other day and even had a successful nursing session there at the zoo (and she said he usually never nurses in public very well).
Old 03-14-2012, 12:52 PM   #10
LilyOlivesMom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Fred has been on Prevacid for the past 16 weeks, compounded kind. They also have Solutabs. Reflux sucks. I'd get him on meds so he wouldnt be miserable. I'd also suggest seeing a chiropractor.

He'd get ticked too when the milk didn;t let down quickly enough. Can she pump til her milk lets down and then nurse him? Or start him on the bottle and switch to breast? Also, oatmeal always worked well for me to increase my supply.
LilyOlivesMom is offline   Reply With Quote