Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 03-19-2012, 07:15 PM   #1
mirandaw
Registered Users
seller
seller

anyone tried wool liner/doubler?

just wondering if anyone tried them??????? are they good?? i dun see people talking abt them much but i read online they can absorb 30% of their weight which is much better compare to hemp (20%)....

Advertisement

mirandaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 05:44 AM   #2
chickabiddy
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: anyone tried wool liner/doubler?

Bump. Wondering the same thing.
chickabiddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 06:45 AM   #3
sarahannecloud9
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I adore my upcycled wool boosters/inserts. Unlanolised and super felted, they work great! I've been using them since I started cd'ing and I didn't think anyone elese still used them.
Sarah, OCD about, Chickens, Gardening, Farming, and all things Homestead! Wife 2 my savior since 97 Jimmy Ray, momma 2 my blessingsCayden 3/29/05 ANDWilliam 1/23/09~~Desperate for just 1 more. ~~Missing my beloved moma, Karen- 4/14/09 and Daddy-89
sarahannecloud9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 08:32 AM   #4
michelle
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I have been wondering this, too and was thinking about making some wool doublers to try out.
Old 03-20-2012, 10:22 AM   #5
sarahannecloud9
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

All you need to so is felt a 100% wool sweater down as small as you can get it. Then cut pieces to the size you want, toss in the drier again to get rid of any fuzzies at the edges. They work wonderfully as a booster in a bybbye or night diaper. Our night firred pockets were starting to get too soaked and I started tossing one in each of them and ahhhhhh, prob solved. I have used them now for around 7 yrs. They do absord 30% of their own weight because the inner of each fiber is absorbent and the exterior repells. I believe using them so long and felting them so much makes them absorb more than the 30% because there is more fiber in a small area, kwim. Great things come in small packages. They get super thick the longer you use them. So the better they get. I just wash as normal. They are naturally antimicrobial too whick is a real plus. They take the same time to dry in the dryer as the other items.

Wool is a miracle fibre for us! I just don't know how they arn't as popular as they used to be. They were all the rage when I first started!
Sarah, OCD about, Chickens, Gardening, Farming, and all things Homestead! Wife 2 my savior since 97 Jimmy Ray, momma 2 my blessingsCayden 3/29/05 ANDWilliam 1/23/09~~Desperate for just 1 more. ~~Missing my beloved moma, Karen- 4/14/09 and Daddy-89
Old 03-28-2012, 10:33 AM   #6
chickabiddy
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I found some from Hum Bums Diapers. They are wonderful -- kept the outside of a fitted on my heavy wetter dry for almost 3 hours! Wonder why they went out of style.
Old 03-28-2012, 11:14 AM   #7
sarahannecloud9
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I really don't get it, perhaps hemp and bamboo just dominated the market. They are just soooo dang easy to make. I felted another sweater down from an XL to a toddler size 2T. You get more surface area, kwim. It's condinsed down and you get more fibers in a 1inch square area. We were starting to have problems with our going out and night diapers untill I put them in all of those. I'm going to make some extras for our pocket trainers. William is finally showing willingness to try.
Old 03-29-2012, 04:30 AM   #8
chickabiddy
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Sarah: What do you put them under? It seems to me like the wool is really slow to absorb. What material is best for letting the moisture get to the wool slowly? I have found that cotton isn't great. I am guessing MF isn't either. Bamboo seems good. I don't have any hemp. Would that be better than bamboo?

Oh, and this is totally not related but I thank you every day (well every other day when I do diaper wash) for making me feel okay about using tide and drying my diaper in the machine.
Old 03-29-2012, 03:06 PM   #9
sarahannecloud9
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Haha! Your're so welcome hun!

I actully do combine them with cotton pf's. I have some old dsg toddler cotton pf's that are really absorbent and they pair up well
Old 03-29-2012, 03:24 PM   #10
RockinLou
Registered Users
seller

i always like cotton on top- but haven't tried felted wool- what is the felting process? wash on hot and dry? How many times?
RockinLou is offline   Reply With Quote