View Poll Results: What would you do
Cerclage 6 15.38%
No cerclage 23 58.97%
Wait and have emergency cerclage if needed, or other intervention, knowing the risks are higher 10 25.64%
Voters: 39. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!
Old 03-25-2012, 05:51 AM   #41
Registered Users
My Mood:
Re: I have a scary decision to make...

Good luck!

Mama to my sweet babies 2007, 2009, 2011 and someone new in 2014
MinkaK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 08:04 AM   #42
Registered Users
My Mood:
Re: I have a scary decision to make...

Good luck! I have IC and it's definitely not something to mess with IMO. We had a preventative cerclage done with our last 2 pregnancies after delivering our first son at 34 weeks and the first set of twins at 29.5 weeks. Many Drs don't recommend cerclages or diagnose IC until you've had a 2nd trimester loss, which is scary to think about for sure. I was very comfortable with getting the cerclage both times. I made it to 35 weeks with the boys and then 38 weeks with this last pregnancy with absolutely no bedrest at all. I did start dilating a bit even with the cerclage in (although my length always stayed good until birth), so I know without a doubt that we would have gone very early had we not had the cerclage. But it's a very personal decision and one that you have to make for yourself. Our Dr didn't push us one way or another and we met with a few peris who gave us a lot of good information about IC that we could base our decision off of. So I'm glad you got a 2nd opinion. Just please make sure they monitor your cervix well during the pregnancy. IC is so silent that it really does sneak up on you if you have it. From what you've said I'm not entirely sure that you do, but I hope they monitor you as if they think you do.

And for anyone else searching for cerclage information, as PP have said, a preventative cerclage is MUCH safer than an emergent cerclage. Those risks listed are usually for an emergent cerclage. Obviously there's always some risk to a surgical procedure but the risk of the procedure caausing PTL, water breaking, infection, etc... is very, very slim if it is done BEFORE the cervix starts changing. That was one of the reasons we always went with a preventative cerclage instead of a wait and see approach. Plus, when my cervix starts to change (without a cerclage) it's literally a matter of an hour or two before the baby is born. Not enough time to stop labor and certainly not enough time for an emergent cerclage to be placed if it's needed.
Babywearing, CDing, BFing, HSing Mama to a 9 year old boy, 8 year old fraternal twin girls, 4 year old identical twin boys, 2 year old baby boy Quinn and hoping to welcome our rainbow baby in the Spring!
Avi: The girls at 1.5 years old in Blueberry Minkee Pockets!
kcprochazka is offline   Reply With Quote