Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 03-22-2012, 09:49 PM   #1
RootedRedwood
Registered Users
seller

Anyone else with Oversupply issues?

Trying to figure out what has helped others with this issue. Any advice or info would be appreciated. Thanks!

Advertisement

RootedRedwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 10:09 PM   #2
jfkmama
Registered Users

Re: Anyone else with Oversupply issues?

Block feeding has helped a lot. I feed off one side for 2-3 hours (even if she eats 4 times in 2 hours, it's all from the same side) then switch sides. During a growth spurt my time blocks tend to get shorter because DD eats more.

I also have overactive let down. Nursing in a more uphill position helps, side lying works well most of the time. I keep a cloth handy in case it's just too much for DD & I start spraying everywhere when she unlatches.

If you're pumping, only pump what you need to. Just because you CAN pump a huge amount doesn't mean you HAVE to. The more I pump the worse my oversupply is. When pumping to replace a feeding I try to match the amount she would take from a bottle (I stop pumping after 3 oz or so even though there is plenty of milk & I could pump more). In the beginning when I was engorged, I would pump only enough to be tolerably comfortable again.
jfkmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 10:44 PM   #3
me_just_me
Registered Users

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfkmama View Post
Block feeding has helped a lot. I feed off one side for 2-3 hours (even if she eats 4 times in 2 hours, it's all from the same side) then switch sides. During a growth spurt my time blocks tend to get shorter because DD eats more.

I also have overactive let down. Nursing in a more uphill position helps, side lying works well most of the time. I keep a cloth handy in case it's just too much for DD & I start spraying everywhere when she unlatches.

If you're pumping, only pump what you need to. Just because you CAN pump a huge amount doesn't mean you HAVE to. The more I pump the worse my oversupply is. When pumping to replace a feeding I try to match the amount she would take from a bottle (I stop pumping after 3 oz or so even though there is plenty of milk & I could pump more). In the beginning when I was engorged, I would pump only enough to be tolerably comfortable again.
Yes! This is exactly! Except I did pump fully only because I was giving my extra milk to a friend with low supply.
Old 03-22-2012, 11:59 PM   #4
mommysoon
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfkmama View Post

I have crazy oversupply and overactive letdown and my LO has yet to adjust to things so I am really careful to not overdo pumping. I only pump when hubby can give him EBM and I only pump a total of 6-7oz. Its hard bc I am trying to get a freezer supply for when I go back to work but my LO is so sensitive that if I pump to much he ends up screaming mad both at the breast from the strong letdown and after from gas pains .
Old 03-23-2012, 09:11 AM   #5
RootedRedwood
Registered Users
seller

I have also been trying the block feeding, and maybe it just hasn't been long enough to make a difference yet (4 days) - but I am often going 6 hours on one breast because my LO doesn't want to nurse very often (2-4hrs) and I want to get at least 2 feedings on one breast before switching to the other side. I am not pumping at all- mostly because i'm too afraid of stimulating more milk production. I am a little worried about getting plugged ducts/mastitis since I am staying engorged for a long period of time. The engorgement is bad but I can take it- I just am having a hard time with how uncomfortable my LO seems after feedings. The gas pains just seem terrible!!

I'm going to keep going with the block feeding for at least a full week to see if I get any change. But if not I was thinking about trying a method I read about in the article linked below: the basic premise is block feeding but starting out by completely emptying both breasts with a pump right before the first feeding. Anyone else try this?

Overabundant milk supply: an alternative way to intervene by full drainage and block feeding ---> http://www.internationalbreastfeedin...content/2/1/11

Thanks everyone who has replied!
Old 03-23-2012, 01:48 PM   #6
blastomom
Registered Users

Oversupply and overactive letdown for me as well. Baby #3 (now 3mos) was in the NICU for a week so I started pumping like crazy from day 2 then continued to pump for a friend who did not end up needing any more (yeah for second-time around breastfeeding success!) so I was making a ridiculous amount of milk by about 6wks. Baby is a champion nurser, but when she decides to cut back for a few days I am in serious pain. Lots of pads and frequent pad changes, no hot showers, no oatmeal, a tiny bit of pumping/hand expressing when I get really engorged and just before a feeding (if I am too full she can't swallow fast enough to keep up with my letdown and she gets angry and refuses to nurse). I'm finally at the point where we can just nurse on one side per feeding without having my non-nursed breast feeling like it's going to explode. I'm off to read the block feeding article you linked...
blastomom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 03:53 PM   #7
mommysoon
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by RootedRedwood View Post
I have also been trying the block feeding, and maybe it just hasn't been long enough to make a difference yet (4 days) - but I am often going 6 hours on one breast because my LO doesn't want to nurse very often (2-4hrs) and I want to get at least 2 feedings on one breast before switching to the other side. I am not pumping at all- mostly because i'm too afraid of stimulating more milk production. I am a little worried about getting plugged ducts/mastitis since I am staying engorged for a long period of time. The engorgement is bad but I can take it- I just am having a hard time with how uncomfortable my LO seems after feedings. The gas pains just seem terrible!!

I'm going to keep going with the block feeding for at least a full week to see if I get any change. But if not I was thinking about trying a method I read about in the article linked below: the basic premise is block feeding but starting out by completely emptying both breasts with a pump right before the first feeding. Anyone else try this?

Overabundant milk supply: an alternative way to intervene by full drainage and block feeding ---> http://www.internationalbreastfeedin...content/2/1/11

In the beginning I had to go 6hrs on each breast to get things under control. I have heard mixed things about emptying breasts b4 starting to block feed. Some ppl say it can make things worse but I think if ur only doing it once it wld be ok.
Old 03-23-2012, 09:07 PM   #8
ChelseaGirl7
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by RootedRedwood

I've heard of this being a solution for some when blockfeeding didn't seem to be enough. It might be worth a try.
Old 03-23-2012, 10:08 PM   #9
lotstolearn
Registered Users
seller

I'm having the same issues. I'm block feeding and trying more "uphill" nursing positions. DD still coughs, sputters, and gags when nursing. It's only been a week... do I just have to be more patient?
lotstolearn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 02:59 AM   #10
RootedRedwood
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by lotstolearn View Post
I'm having the same issues. I'm block feeding and trying more "uphill" nursing positions. DD still coughs, sputters, and gags when nursing. It's only been a week... do I just have to be more patient?
I think that was part of my question too...how long to wait till trying something else? Sounds like you have already been trying longer than I. How long are your feeding blocks?

Well, as soon as I posted for the second time on this thread I started to notice my LO was finally able to drain one breast after two feedings on that side and was not as gassy or unhappy after feedings. My breasts are also feeling less engorged, even after not being nursed on for sometimes blocks of 6-8 hrs. So, I really think the block feeding is working for me- I just had to increase the exclusive time at each breast quite a bit to get results. Hopefully what I'm seeing now isn't just a fluke